Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > California is toast

California is toast (Page 2)
turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Good job doing your part to make sure this discussion isn't about health care.
Do you have something substantial to contribute, or just trying to be hyteckit #2 ?

-t

mrtew
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2010, 09:00 PM

I'm sure everything will be fine once the recession blows over and everyone gets jobs and starts paying taxes again. You're only hearing so much about it because the Bush recession was so bad and the Republicans want so much to blame it all on Obama and Nancy etc and get back into office. Don't worry so much.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
How much power does Arnie have to address this?
Here is a good article about that.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Economic practicality.
I think we could argue about the validity of the claims of economic practicality of these programs, but let's assume for the sake of argument that it is valid.

What standard do you use to determine that "economic practicality" trumps individual rights?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2010, 10:25 PM

What's that old saying? As California goes, so goes the nation? No wonder the old, white, Tea Party codgers are scared.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/us...er=rss&emc=rss

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 29, 2010, 10:37 PM

White people are the worst.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I think we could argue about the validity of the claims of economic practicality of these programs, but let's assume for the sake of argument that it is valid.

What standard do you use to determine that "economic practicality" trumps individual rights?

What standard do you use to determine that individual rights includes the right for people to decide what to pay the government for on an individual basis? We all pay for various roads, services, and pay via various taxes, etc. whether we benefit directly or not. If we are unhappy, we can vote for somebody that will change this, this is what elections are for. Various safety nets are things that we have evidently agreed to as a nation via the politicians we have elected.

Individual rights are not trumped just because we are not happy with whom we elected and what he/she is doing, so long as what they are doing is legal. Maybe temporarily threatened, but only until the next election.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 01:29 AM

How is the situation in California unique? It's not.

It's the economy stupid.

Many states are incurring massive deficits. US is becoming a service oriented economy. Our manufacturing industry is practically gone and has been outsource to countries like China.

The US economy is now driven by the service industry and consumer spending.

It's people like turtle who refuse to believe Pres. Bush and the Republicans in congress f*cked up the economy, outsourced all manufacturing industry, and want more of our jobs in the US to be giving to foreigners through H1 Visas.

States like Texas and Florida are incurring multi-billion dollar deficits as well.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
It's not rocket science which explains [the responses of liberals in just about EVERY subject on this forum]. Abject stupidity, deflection, feigned confusion, unfunny and irrelevant satire, and trolling.

In other words, precisely the reaction you'd expect from those trying to defend the indefensible.
Yup.

And of course, California represents UNCHECKED liberalism without any stops. In other words: a complete train wreck which is no longer even just a future certainty, but a present REALITY. Laugh now, but for the rest of the nation: you're only so far behind us with whatever level of liberalism you've got pulling you down.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 01:45 AM

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 01:52 AM

Here is a good article about that.
to reduce state workers’ pay to Federal minimum wage [...] —which the union-friendly Chiang claims is impossible due to the state’s antiquated COBOL-based payroll system.

So f*cking unbelievable.

CA, home to most big computer and software companies in the world, but they can't fix a COBOL program to allow minimum wage ?

If that's true, they deserve to go bust.

-t

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
What's that old saying? As California goes, so goes the nation? No wonder the old, white, Tea Party codgers are scared.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/us...er=rss&emc=rss
Wait, aren't you in fact both old and white?
ebuddy

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Wait, aren't you in fact both old and white?
Yes, but I'm not scared of people who are different than me.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
I'm sure everything will be fine once the recession blows over and everyone gets jobs and starts paying taxes again. You're only hearing so much about it because the Bush recession was so bad and the Republicans want so much to blame it all on Obama and Nancy etc and get back into office. Don't worry so much.
Let the above be Exhibit A of the message that will guarantee lost seats this fall.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Yes, but I'm not scared of people who are different than me.
No rather, you're scared of yourself which is much more telling.
ebuddy

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the diagnosis, Dr.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 09:04 AM

Well is there any response to the Texas deficit issue as noted above?

I know very little about these two economies, but if you blame California's massive deficit(s) on teh lib/dems, then what's the explanation for Texas?

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 09:39 AM

What standard do you use to determine that individual rights includes the right for people to decide what to pay the government for on an individual basis? We all pay for various roads, services, and pay via various taxes, etc. whether we benefit directly or not. If we are unhappy, we can vote for somebody that will change this, this is what elections are for. Various safety nets are things that we have evidently agreed to as a nation via the politicians we have elected.

Individual rights are not trumped just because we are not happy with whom we elected and what he/she is doing, so long as what they are doing is legal. Maybe temporarily threatened, but only until the next election.
I didn't say or imply any of this, you have it wrong.

You also are evading my question. Let me rephrase it: When you assert that the government propping up the economy is "more right" than a person's right to keep their own property for the sake of their right earn a living, is that a moral evaluation or not? If it is not a moral evaluation what is it?

Also let me amend my question: WHY specifically is economic practicality more important than property rights?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post

I know very little about these two economies, but if you blame California's massive deficit(s) on teh lib/dems, then what's the explanation for Texas?

greg
It certainly is the same sort of thinking, to a much lesser degree. Texas spends huge amounts on education, health and human services etc, "economic development" etc.. Things that I don't think government should be focusing its resources on. They also have billions in unfunded pension liabilities. They could reduce their budget by 75% if they spent their money on just protecting people from crime/harm and stop trying to control and support them.

That being said they also have a better credit rating and some emergency cash. They are generally in far better shape than California despite the similar budget numbers. They also have the good sense to not to impose income taxes.

I think we all know that the economy is the impetus behind state revenue losses, but why is it that we just resign ourselves to the idea that they can't just CUT THE BUDGET? (GASP!) Project a 20% deficit? So eliminate the non-essentials from the budget and trim the rest across the board. Trim it until it breaks even.

Really, your world won't end if the government cuts back for a few years…or forever.

finboy
Aug 30, 2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post

greg
Part of it is the lack of income tax and other government controls, but I'd venture that a large part of the problem is the difference in immigrant numbers. I saw last year that 24% of the illegals in this country are in California, with only 16% in Texas according to the Congressional Research Office or GAO.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2010, 11:38 AM

It certainly is the same sort of thinking, to a much lesser degree. Texas spends huge amounts on education, health and human services etc, "economic development" etc.. Things that I don't think government should be focusing its resources on. They also have billions in unfunded pension liabilities. They could reduce their budget by 75% if they spent their money on just protecting people from crime/harm and stop trying to control and support them.

That being said they also have a better credit rating and some emergency cash. They are generally in far better shape than California despite the similar budget numbers. They also have the good sense to not to impose income taxes.

I think we all know that the economy is the impetus behind state revenue losses, but why is it that we just resign ourselves to the idea that they can't just CUT THE BUDGET? (GASP!) Project a 20% deficit? So eliminate the non-essentials from the budget and trim the rest across the board. Trim it until it breaks even.

Really, your world won't end if the government cuts back for a few years…or forever.
I'm all for cutting the budget, but I really don't buy the argument that government shouldn't fund education. As it is, California should probably be spending MORE than they already are, which is (or was) last place when it comes to amount spent per student out of the 50 states. They've already cut PE, music, and the rest of the arts, and now they're closing schools and talking about removing history and science programs from the elementary schools to save a buck.

I'm sorry, but as someone with two teachers in the family, I just can't sit here and watch our public education go down the shitter.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I'm all for cutting the budget, but I really don't buy the argument that government shouldn't fund education. As it is, California should probably be spending MORE than they already are, which is (or was) last place when it comes to amount spent per student out of the 50 states. They've already cut PE, music, and the rest of the arts, and now they're closing schools and talking about removing history and science programs from the elementary schools to save a buck.

I'm sorry, but as someone with two teachers in the family, I just can't sit here and watch our public education go down the shitter.
Public education IS in the shitter. The more they spend, and the more control the government takes the worse education has gotten.

Public education is just another of those things that we have been doing for so long people think that it's the best or the only way to do it.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I think you are attributing (along with most Americans) too much power to the Oval Office. The US isn't a totalitarian dictatorship, so don't act as if one person is responsible for corporate decisions.
They'll never listen.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Part of it is the lack of income tax and other government controls, but I'd venture that a large part of the problem is the difference in immigrant numbers. I saw last year that 24% of the illegals in this country are in California, with only 16% in Texas according to the Congressional Research Office or GAO.
Uhm, yeah, CA had estimated 37M population in 2009, TX est. 24.8M

So CA had 49% more people living there, which is coincidentally exactly 16% x 1.49 = 24%.

Bottom line: both states had about the same per capita "burden" of illegal immigrants.

-t

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Okay.

Thanks Pres. Bush, Republican Congress, and Republican California governor for outsourcing all our manufacturing jobs.

So, it's STILL Bush's fault even after almost TWO YEARS of mismanagement by the Tax-n-Spend Democrats? When will the Dems actually admit they wasted time & Money with only a double dip recession to show for it?

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2010, 01:14 PM

Public education IS in the shitter. The more they spend, and the more control the government takes the worse education has gotten.

Public education is just another of those things that we have been doing for so long people think that it's the best or the only way to do it.
Well, yeah, it is in the shitter, I'll give you that. However I can't think that privatizing the system is an ideal solution, either.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I'm not sure what your argument is with regard to illegals. Are you saying that both States' deficits are proportional to the amount of illegal immigrants in each State...i.e. that illegal immigrants are the cause of this government deficit?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that concept to be honest.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 01:29 PM

I didn't say or imply any of this, you have it wrong.

You also are evading my question. Let me rephrase it: When you assert that the government propping up the economy is "more right" than a person's right to keep their own property for the sake of their right earn a living, is that a moral evaluation or not? If it is not a moral evaluation what is it?

Also let me amend my question: WHY specifically is economic practicality more important than property rights?

I was trying to cut to what I thought the point of your leading question was. Your question is still leading. I have no idea what what I wrote had to do with property rights.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
So, it's STILL Bush's fault even after almost TWO YEARS of mismanagement by the Tax-n-Spend Democrats?
Dude, the libs here still blame Maggie Thatcher for everything TWO DECADES after she retired.

It's what libs do.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Dude, the libs here still blame Maggie Thatcher for everything TWO DECADES after she retired.

It's what libs do.

That's quite the generalization.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:14 PM

That's quite the generalization observation.
Yes, it is.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:26 PM

Yes, it is.

Sorry, I forgot for a moment who I was talking to...

Carry on

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 30, 2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Do you have something substantial to contribute, or just trying to be hyteckit #2 ?

-t
You essentially said, "Let's not make this a racial issue. By the way, all black people are stupid and unemployable."

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
So, it's STILL Bush's fault even after almost TWO YEARS of mismanagement by the Tax-n-Spend Democrats? When will the Dems actually admit they wasted time & Money with only a double dip recession to show for it?
During Pres. Bush's term, the bad economy is blamed on 9/11, Pres. Clinton, and Pres. Carter.

Let me see. Oh right, we'll still spending time and money in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yup. Still Pres. Bush's fault.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 03:07 PM

Let me see. Oh right, we'll still spending time and money in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yup. Still Pres. Bush's fault.
Didn't Barry promise to bring the troops home from the sandpits as soon as he got in?

YouTube - Obama promises to bring the troops home from Afghanistan.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 03:13 PM

Didn't Barry promise to bring the troops home from the sandpits as soon as he got in?

YouTube - Obama promises to bring the troops home from Afghanistan.
Maybe he was talking about Iraq.

So Pres. Obama did kept his promise. Pull troops out of Iraq before the deadline.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 03:16 PM

So Pres. Obama did kept his promise. Pull troops out of Iraq before the deadline.
I don't know how twisted your mind's got to be if you're coming out with that after watching the video I just posted.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2010, 03:16 PM

lol

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 03:17 PM

I don't know how twisted your mind's got to be if you're coming out with that after watching the video I just posted.
Did Pres. Obama mention Afghanistan in the video? Or just the title mention Afghanistan?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 03:30 PM

Did Pres. Obama mention Afghanistan in the video? Or just the title mention Afghanistan?
Whichever sandpit he was talking about, he said the first thing he'd do as president is bring the troops home from it and end the war.

Since your troops are still in both sandpits, we can assume that the first thing Barry did wasn't "bring the troops home".

Thus, how the hell can he be keeping his promise?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 03:42 PM

Whichever sandpit he was talking about, he said the first thing he'd do as president is bring the troops home from it and end the war.

Since your troops are still in both sandpits, we can assume that the first thing Barry did wasn't "bring the troops home".

Thus, how the hell can he be keeping his promise?

The Iraq War is over as US troops head home - mirror.co.uk

Pres. Obama talked about ending the Iraq Ward in 2007 during his presidential campaign.

Troops were being pulled out of Iraq since 2009, when Pres. Obama became president.

Deadline to end combat was set to August 2010.

The last U.S. combat brigade was pull out in Aug. 19, 2010.

Combat in Iraq is considered over. US troops remain in Iraq to train and advise Iraqi policemen.

washingtonpost.com

When Pres. Obama became president, his promise on Feb. 27, 2009.

Remarks of President Barack Obama – Responsibly Ending the War in Iraq | The White House

Let me say this as plainly as I can: by August 31, 2010, our combat mission in Iraq will end.

After we remove our combat brigades, our mission will change from combat to supporting the Iraqi government and its Security Forces as they take the absolute lead in securing their country. As I have long said, we will retain a transitional force to carry out three distinct functions: training, equipping, and advising Iraqi Security Forces as long as they remain non-sectarian; conducting targeted counter-terrorism missions; and protecting our ongoing civilian and military efforts within Iraq. Initially, this force will likely be made up of 35-50,000 U.S. troops.
( Last edited by hyteckit; Aug 30, 2010 at 03:50 PM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 04:00 PM

Leaving 50,000 troops in place isn't a withdrawal.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You essentially said, "Let's not make this a racial issue. By the way, all black people are stupid and unemployable."
WTF ?

Go away. All you do is trying to instigate.

-t

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 04:05 PM

Leaving 50,000 troops in place isn't a withdrawal.
Dude, we still have 35,688 troops in Japan.

Doesn't mean we are still fighting WWII with Japan.

We still have 28.500 in Korea.

Doesn't mean we are still fighting the Korean War.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 07:43 PM

I was trying to cut to what I thought the point of your leading question was. Your question is still leading.
I know that. Also, my question wasn't intended to be leading, this time. I am merely trying to point out to you that a moral evaluation is made by you, me, or anyone else in the situation we were discussing. You are/were denying that.

I have no idea what what I wrote had to do with property rights.
I know this too, that is part of the problem. Taxes have everything to do with property rights. They are the forced removal of a person's private property: money. Some amount of tax may be necessary, but this idea that they should just take however much they want from us in whatever form they want to take it, to fund whatever schemes and programs they want to or to cover any and all of their irresponsible spending…this has to go. Taxes need to be highly restricted not only because they are a detriment to the economy, but because they are a direct violation of a person's right to their own property and to their life and pursuit of happiness. You are taking by force that which a person needs to live.

So when a person makes the claim that someone is in "need" and we must take care of that person's "needs" via government expenditures, they are talking about the taking of money by force and gifting that money to other people. It is an assertion that another person has a right to your property and thus the government must enforce that right. So it is not a matter of choosing how our money is spent by government on an individual basis. It is a matter of expecting and demanding that the government respects a person's rights above all. The protection of a person's rights is their first and best function, not control.

You want a safety net? It's called charity. They work more efficiently than the government equivalent every time.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 08:17 PM

smacintush: I didn't say that I can't fathom a possible connection between safety nets and property rights, I said that I don't know what the particular thread we had going had to do with property rights. If you want to segue into property rights, fine, but I'll remind that you I wasn't making a point about property rights, I was answering a specific question that you asked.

That being said, I do appreciate that you asked me for clarification rather than just launching off into a rant du jour like many other people in these sorts of debates do.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 09:01 PM

Dude, we still have 35,688 troops in Japan.

We still have 28.500 in Korea.
Time to leave.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Time to leave.
Yeah. I think it's time too.

Crazy wasteful spending.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 09:19 PM

smacintush: I didn't say that I can't fathom a possible connection between safety nets and property rights, I said that I don't know what the particular thread we had going had to do with property rights. If you want to segue into property rights, fine, but I'll remind that you I wasn't making a point about property rights, I was answering a specific question that you asked.
My point was that if California (or Texas, or other states, or the Federal government…) were to respect peoples property rights as and reject the idea that it is the government's role and responsibility to take care of us, control us and manipulate the economy these budget problems wouldn't exist. They act as if it is their right to do whatever they want and our duty to cover the costs and the people support that by their constantly begging for more help, more "freebies", more control over "those other guys", more central planning etc..

It all comes back to the belief that government has the duty to care for us and that duty takes precedent over our rights.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 09:21 PM

My point was that if California (or Texas, or other states, or the Federal government…) were to respect peoples property rights as and reject the idea that it is the government's role and responsibility to take care of us, control us and manipulate the economy these budget problems wouldn't exist. They act as if it is their right to do whatever they want and our duty to cover the costs and the people support that by their constantly begging for more help, more "freebies", more control over "those other guys", more central planning etc..

It all comes back to the belief that government has the duty to care for us and that duty takes precedent over our rights.

Until you address my economic practicality counter-argument to this, I don't really see the point in continuing this particular conversation...
( Last edited by besson3c; Aug 30, 2010 at 09:37 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules