Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > OWC Mercury Elite line - worth it?

OWC Mercury Elite line - worth it?
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2005, 01:12 PM

I realize that there are probably hundreds of external hard drive threads on this forum, so I apologize in advance. The search function hasn't worked for me for days, so I'm forced to start up yet another thread.

I'm in the market for a ~200 GB external hard drive for my 15" aluminum Powerbook. I'd rather have a firewire interface over USB, because I want something bootable. This will be for backing up my system and some critical work files, and for storing music files. One of the options I'm looking at is the OWC Mercury Elite line of enclosures, which seem to have everything I want in them--multiple ports, a power switch, a good bridge chipset, and seemingly rugged construction. But it's also expensive, to the point that I'm not really saving much money if I buy a drive on my own versus buying a complete OWC package. I'm also looking at the less expensive OWC Neptune line, and the Macally firewire-only enclosures, but the latter don't seem to have a power switch, which is important to me.

Can anyone comment on the Mercury Elite enclosures. Are they really worth the premium? I'm also concerned about the lack of a fan. Can anyone who uses one heavily comment on any heat issues?

Thanks in advance.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2005, 03:00 PM

I've got one... had it at least 2 years with a 120GB WD drive. No problems with it at all. The case gets warm, but that's pretty much the fault of the drive (the WD1200JB is known to run hot). My unit has only FW400 ports, but I've never had a problem with the case, and its been on 24/7 for over 2 years. I use my drive primarily as a backup device (nightly automated backups with Apple's .Mac Backup).

Can't comment on any other external HD cases, as this is really the only one I have experience with.

BTW, most likely your PowerBook is USB-bootable unless you've got an early-model TiBook. But still, I think FW is the way to go.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
BTW, most likely your PowerBook is USB-bootable
Are you sure ?

I thought this is not enabled in OS X. I have never heard anyone being able to boot up from an external USB device.

-t

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Are you sure ?

I thought this is not enabled in OS X. I have never heard anyone being able to boot up from an external USB device.

-t
From the Apple Developers documentation for the PowerMac G4:
The Power Mac G4 can boot from a USB storage device that follows the USB Mass Storage Class specification.
http://developer.apple.com/documenta...section_2.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules