Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Epson R1400 & R1900 Opinions/Reviews

Epson R1400 & R1900 Opinions/Reviews
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2009, 01:59 PM

As per my prior thread I'm looking for a printer and so far the Epson 1400 and 1900 seem to stand out.

I'm liking the R1900 though its probably a little more $$ then I was thinking of spending. I'm looking for a printer that does color, but can also do text and here's why I'm starting this thread.

How does either of these printers handle this and any opinions on either printer? I'm now googling for reviews but if anyone has any wisdom to impart regarding either printer I'd be grateful.

Areas of concern for either printer
1. text printing, specifically black and white and speed of printing text
2. paper costs
3. ink costs and how long do they last.
4. driver support/compatibility with OSX
Thanks in advance.
~Mike

ibook_steve
Apr 13, 2009, 02:22 PM

Don't get Epson! Anything Epson! Don't get it! Wasteful ink and clogged nozzles all the time.

See a thread I started about a month or two ago: "Is there such a thing as a good color inkjet printer?" Canon is the overwhelming recommendation.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2009, 02:47 PM

oh ok, I'll look into that as well
~Mike

indigoimac
Senior User
May 1, 2009, 06:53 PM

Canon does not make a wide format printer that will compete with the R1400 in terms of price. Their wide format printer is also more expensive than the R1900.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

OreoCookie
May 2, 2009, 04:24 AM

That's incorrect, the Pixma Pro 9000 costs about the same as the R1900. The Pixma Pro 9500 is in the same price category as Epson's R2880.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2009, 08:48 AM

wide format is definitely a plus but not needed. Besides, from what I've read here and other places I will do well to avoid epson especially given my usage patterns. clogged heads will be a reality for me since I'll not be using it every day or every week for that matter.

I'm not trying to decide between the HP 8850 and the Pixma Pro 9000 Both are very similar in features it seems and cost.
~Mike

ghporter
Administrator
May 2, 2009, 11:20 AM

Epson does a couple of things that I think make their printers at least a third choice, after Canon and HP. First, their print head nozzles are integral to the carriage-you CANNOT change them out and I've spent I don't know how many hours trying to clean those bad boys without success. Canon uses USER REPLACEABLE nozzles... Second, there's something about Epson's ink that tends to gum up pretty easily if you don't use the printer regularly. Since I don't need to print stuff daily, let alone print full color stuff daily, that leads to easily clogged print nozzles. See above about Canon's user replaceable nozzles.

HP has some printers that are easier to manage than Epson's, at least in this regard. Having the nozzle as part of the cartridge helps because while those cartridges are more expensive, at least you can get a new nozzle when you need one. But HP seems to be moving away from the kind of customer service that got them so well established in the printer market. I'd stick with Canon for any inkjet printer for the time being.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules