Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 970 Speculation

970 Speculation (Page 5)
awcopus
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2003, 01:46 PM

Last night I ordered the 2GHz dual machine in my dreams. It felt SOOO good. I'm not going to tell you how good it felt. Just that it felt SOOOOO very good.

Then, in my dream, it arrived. When I turned it on, it made a sound like a jet engine revving up... which concerned me until I noticed that seconds after turning it on, it was up and running. Sounds like a jet engine isn't so bad when performs like a jet engine is part of the bargain.

Woke up. It's not June 23rd. Again. For like the umpteenth day in a row.

Almost went to the Apple Store to check on my order for this machine. Still a little torn over the idea of buying a first-gen machine that is SUCH a radical departure. If the choice is between a $2000 Dual 1.4 vs. a $3500 Dual 2GHz...I honestly don't know what I'll do, though my dreams are pretty definitive.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by awcopus:
Still a little torn over the idea of buying a first-gen machine that is SUCH a radical departure. If the choice is between a $2000 Dual 1.4 vs. a $3500 Dual 2GHz...I honestly don't know what I'll do, though my dreams are pretty definitive.
If there is any doubt in your mind, visit an Apple store after Monday and spend some time playing with the new machines.

2Ghz 970s x 2 + FCP4 + World of Warcraft = me never leaving my house. Maybe the new machines should come with a warning like they have on cigarette packs.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2003, 05:48 PM

If date => 6-23-2003 clicking here will make you drool.

RyanG3
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2003, 06:44 PM

Scotttheking

Why was my poll closed.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=165365

I would like an explanation, not a statement telling me what I should be doing, that's not cool.

I just wanted to know what other MacNN readers thought about the G5 specs being leaked without having to wade thru this huge thread.

Thanks.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by RyanG3:
Scotttheking

Why was my poll closed.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=165365

I would like an explanation, not a statement telling me what I should be doing, that's not cool.

I just wanted to know what other MacNN readers thought about the G5 specs being leaked without having to wade thru this huge thread.

Thanks.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by awcopus:
Last night I ordered the 2GHz dual machine in my dreams. It felt SOOO good. I'm not going to tell you how good it felt. Just that it felt SOOOOO very good.

Then, in my dream, it arrived. When I turned it on, it made a sound like a jet engine revving up... which concerned me until I noticed that seconds after turning it on, it was up and running. Sounds like a jet engine isn't so bad when performs like a jet engine is part of the bargain.

Woke up. It's not June 23rd. Again. For like the umpteenth day in a row.

Almost went to the Apple Store to check on my order for this machine. Still a little torn over the idea of buying a first-gen machine that is SUCH a radical departure. If the choice is between a $2000 Dual 1.4 vs. a $3500 Dual 2GHz...I honestly don't know what I'll do, though my dreams are pretty definitive.
Am I the only one that still dreams about naked women instead of computer hardware???
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Eugene Fields
Jun 22, 2003, 11:02 PM

http://digitalstudios.geneva-link.com/index2.html

go see a really cool idea

check out the moovies!!

Id buy one now if it was available

"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Jun 23, 2003, 10:52 AM

c|net
New P4, Itanium from Intel

The 2GHz PowerPC 970, coming out in new Power Macs, will likely be close in performance to these chips, said Nathan Brookwood, an analyst at Insight 64, but the 2GHz chip won't likely hit store shelves for a while, he added.

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by JB72:
If date => 6-23-2003 clicking here will make you drool.
If and only if after 12:00 pm Pacific time.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 23, 2003, 11:42 AM

Apple will announce the dual 2ghz but availability will probably be late summer early fall.

The question is if that is the only dual configuration, how much faster concievably will the single 970's be over the current dual g4's?

My bet is that we'll see reduced pricing on the 970's like starting at $1500 but probably not exceeding $2200 with the dual model being priced around $3000 but again later availability. Either that or the g4 will remain in the lineup but on the very lowend. Though if the 970 is a less expensive chip this wouldn't make sense.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by mathew_m:
Though if the 970 is a less expensive chip this wouldn't make sense.
It has less to do with the price of the chips, and more to do with what the market will bear. Apple isn't currently anywhere near the paper thin margins of other companies. They're not going to slash prices just cause they get a break on chips. They're going to charge exactly as much as they think they can get for these new machines. No less.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 12:42 PM

Apple Store is down -> new hardware COMING!

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 02:08 PM

An other thing to keep in mind is the ever quoted maxim of economics: supply vs. demand. While real life includes all sorts of additional complexities, that basic formula remains.

There is a lot of pentup demand. If Apple reduces prices too much they won't be able to meet demand. Raising prices, as well as being helpful to stockholders, also is based upon the supplies Apple has.

I suspect prices will drop, but probably not until around Christmas.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 02:24 PM

400 Mhz ddr memory

2ghz G5

1ghz FSB

optical didgital IN AND OUT

IT IS TRUE THEY ARE COMING

Forum Links
Forum Rules