Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 3)
klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2008, 01:42 PM

i must agree this thread along with all the surfing and video watching has moved me from "i'll just pick it up at best buy or something tuesday or wednesday if i have the cash" to "pre-ordered waiting in line at midnight and skipping all classes wednesday"

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2008, 01:45 PM

I'm going to be worthless at work next week. Like a junkie getting the shakes.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2008, 04:19 PM

Well I've gone from "Can't wait until the PC version" to "Would it really be that bad to buy a 360 only to play this?".

It does look to be quite the game...
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2008, 06:56 PM

In my opinion IGN is the best online review and preview site for all consoles and they have just released there review for GTA IV...
Its a great 7 page review, with awesome screenshots and insight, i'll allow you all to read it and enjoy the first big US review without any spoilers....Perfect 10/10, sorry couldn't resist

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2008, 12:36 AM

Did you se the video review on IGN?

Holy crap.

Wow. I'm not even a big GTA fan and I am now super excited for this game.

Also, did you see the sex in the car? Makes hot coffee and Mass Effect look like the Brady Bunch.
( Last edited by ort888; Apr 26, 2008 at 12:53 AM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2008, 12:56 AM

Okay, I'm sold. I was gonna wait it out but this will be a day 1 purchase. I have a $25 gift card as well, so I'm out of excuses. I think they pretty much have Game of the Year in the bag.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 05:41 AM

I'm sold, after seeing the graphics in the pictures, then seeing it moving in the videos, its a great looking game. Looks very open and free too with the throwing bricks off the street and stuff, lots of fun to be had .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2008, 09:49 AM

"For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in. The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often. The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch. Either version will do you proud. "
from the ign review
we don't have time to stop for gas

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
from the ign review
I'm gonna have a hard time choosing which system to buy it for. I think the achievements will make me lean towards the 360, though...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

moep
Senior User
Apr 26, 2008, 11:09 AM

someone just sent me this via email:

Here is a video of GTA4's physics system by the way:

Video Teases GTA 4 Animation Technology - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads
( Last edited by moep; Apr 26, 2008 at 12:32 PM. )
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
from the ign review
I'm gonna get it for the PS3 for the single reason of MS trying a con even more money out of me just for the privilege of playing online. I'd rather play online for free with the PS3 thanks.

I also hear the PS3 has a 5 gig hard drive install which may make things smoother when loading.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2008, 04:00 PM

It's really time for Microsoft to stop charging for Live. It's good that Sony is starting to really come on, because as much as I like my Xbox, competition is the only thing that will keep these companies honest.

NYK Ace
Senior User
Apr 26, 2008, 04:34 PM

how many 360s are going to RROD with people playing non-stop in the next week or so?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
It's really time for Microsoft to stop charging for Live. It's good that Sony is starting to really come on, because as much as I like my Xbox, competition is the only thing that will keep these companies honest.
Or at least stop charging for online multiplayer. Maybe have a "premium" Live service. But since Microsoft hosts no multiplayer servers there really shouldn't be a charge for simple matchmaking.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2008, 04:40 PM

I'm also shocked that they didn't drop the price prior to GTA4's launch. The stupid thing has only gone down $50 in 2 and a half years. Even the PS2, the most successful console of all time, had dropped more by now.

I think they are getting cocky.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by NYK Ace View Post
how many 360s are going to RROD with people playing non-stop in the next week or so?
That'd be hilarious. And speak volumes about GTA.

I'm also shocked that they didn't drop the price prior to GTA4's launch. The stupid thing has only gone down $50 in 2 and a half years. Even the PS2, the most successful console of all time, had dropped more by now.

I think they are getting cocky.
About what, being in 3rd place?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
That'd be hilarious. And speak volumes about GTA.

About what, being in 3rd place?
Microsoft is in second by almost 7 million consoles right now.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2008, 07:10 PM

Huh?

Edit: Nevermind, I misread Ort's statement to be about Sony.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; Apr 26, 2008 at 07:19 PM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2008, 11:30 PM

YouTube - GTAIV HOOKERS

This is gonna get ugly. After seeing how Fox News handled Mass Effect, I can't even imagine what the reaction to this is going to be.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 01:56 AM

YouTube - GTAIV HOOKERS

This is gonna get ugly. After seeing how Fox News handled Mass Effect, I can't even imagine what the reaction to this is going to be.
That's pretty stupid. I don't see what the point of putting that in a game is.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 08:32 AM

Nice little detail in that vid, at about 1:40 when his phone goes off, before it rings there's the interference "dut-dut-dut, dut-dut-dut, dut-dut-dut" sound from his phone because the radio is on .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

NYK Ace
Senior User
Apr 27, 2008, 11:01 AM

YouTube - GTAIV HOOKERS

hahaha even i have to say that is pretty intense for a video game

i think i have gone from waiting for a few days to picking up on launch day as well

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
That's pretty stupid. I don't see what the point of putting that in a game is.
There's just as much point of putting it in a game as there is of putting it in movies. There is a huge untapped market for quality adult oriented games. By the looks of it, this might be one of the bigger steps to opening that market up.

I'm not saying that it's necessarily a good thing, just that it's going to make them a shite load of cash.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2008, 12:34 PM

Xbox 360 Reviews

IGN - 10/10
IGN UK - 10/10
1UP - A+ 5/5
EuroGamer - 10/10
Gamespy - 5/5
Team Xbox - 10/10
OXM UK - 10/10
Game Informer - 10/10
Game Daily - 10/10
Game Trailers - 9.8/10
Xbox World Magazine UK - 9.8/10
Computer and Video Games.com - 9.5/10

Metacritic after 12 reviews - 100
( Last edited by klb5090; Apr 27, 2008 at 01:19 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
I'm not saying that it's necessarily a good thing, just that it's going to make them a shite load of cash.
Anyone who buys this game because their video game character can get a handjob from a hooker is the most pathetic person on earth.

Save the $60 on a game and get yourself a real hooker even thought that makes you as equally pathetic.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2008, 01:29 PM

Anyone who buys this game because their video game character can get a handjob from a hooker is the most pathetic person on earth.

Save the $60 on a game and get yourself a real hooker even thought that makes you as equally pathetic.
I knew at some point (i hoped later rather ethan sooner) that this thread would become a back and forth battle about the sexuality and violence that the GTA series brings to the fore front of video games each and every time an installment is released. Incase any one was wondering GTA IV is rated M for Mature (17+), this game is not intended for children and therefore Rockstar has complete freedom to make it a Mature game and it is rated that way by the ESRB for theses reasons (taken from ESRB rating) Blood, Intense Violence, Partial Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Alcohol, Use of Drugs. I don't think anyone purchases (they may) any GTA game because you can pick up hookers or go to strip clubs but many people may not relize (notice sarcasm) that these things actually do exist in the good old USA.

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2008, 01:50 PM

While I agree that it's no reason to buy the game, I don't see how fantasies about sex are any more pathetic or spite worthy then fantasies about killing. I've never fully understood why violence is so much more acceptable to our society then sex when sex is by far the more common and natural pastime.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
There's just as much point of putting it in a game as there is of putting it in movies. There is a huge untapped market for quality adult oriented games. By the looks of it, this might be one of the bigger steps to opening that market up.

Problem is finding a system to publish them on. Microsoft and Nintendo have both said they will not allow an AO rated game (Adults Only, 18+) on their systems. I don't know if Sony has taken a side on that yet.

GTA IV looks like it's already pushing the envelope of the M rating, but it seems that no amount of violence can get you an AO these days, only sex.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 03:52 PM

Awesome.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2008, 04:07 PM

Ha, I caught a similar one on that intersection where the guy launched off the bike, went splat into the overpass wall, then dropped to the street. He lived, somehow.

---

As for the handjob thing, Rockstar is all about trying to push the envelope and recreate aspects of real life. You can find this stuff in a R movie, so why the big deal about it being in a M game?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 04:23 PM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
I knew at some point (i hoped later rather ethan sooner) that this thread would become a back and forth battle about the sexuality and violence that the GTA series brings to the fore front of video games each and every time an installment is released. Incase any one was wondering GTA IV is rated M for Mature (17+), this game is not intended for children and therefore Rockstar has complete freedom to make it a Mature game and it is rated that way by the ESRB for theses reasons (taken from ESRB rating) Blood, Intense Violence, Partial Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Alcohol, Use of Drugs. I don't think anyone purchases (they may) any GTA game because you can pick up hookers or go to strip clubs but many people may not relize (notice sarcasm) that these things actually do exist in the good old USA.

My point isn't that people under 17 might see this sex or that it is bad that there is sex in the game itself. I just think it is lame to put that level of detail.

Sure pretend violence is fun as it is something you can't do in normal life and you get entertainment and gratification from the fantasy.

But detailed pretend hand-jobs where you sit and watch and wait to finish is really just retarded to me as I can't imagine anyone getting gratification from it. It was ok in other games as it just suggested it with your car bouncing around but this is too long and too much detail. I'm sure 14 year olds who got this game from a friend will get a huge kick out of but if I was working for Rockstar I would have been embarrassed putting so juvenile in.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2008, 11:23 PM

Dude, I have no problem with the game itself. I have every copy of GTA and a pre-order for Tuesday.

My point isn't that people under 17 might see this sex or that it is bad that there is sex in the game itself. I just think it is lame to put that level of detail.

Sure pretend violence is fun as it is something you can't do in normal life and you get entertainment and gratification from the fantasy.

But detailed pretend hand-jobs where you sit and watch and wait to finish is really just retarded to me as I can't imagine anyone getting gratification from it. It was ok in other games as it just suggested it with your car bouncing around but this is too long and too much detail. I'm sure 14 year olds who got this game from a friend will get a huge kick out of but if I was working for Rockstar I would have been embarrassed putting so juvenile in.
I can agree to a point, you may be bringing up a valid idea that the detail placed on sexual encounters in GTA could be downplayed (like in GTA III) and those resources and time could be spend on other areas of the game as a whole. It does seem juvenile to make it so graphic although Rockstar is all about pushing the envelope, we all know that one thing that sells games is publicity (good.... or bad), i'm sure with perfect scores from every major gaming review site coupled with sexual and violence driven criticism this game will shatter every video game sales record to date.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2008, 11:59 PM

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 03:45 AM

I'm guessing it will be as boring and underwhelming as the rest of the series, and carry all of its substance in everything but gameplay, but I'll give it a whirl.

moep
Senior User
Apr 28, 2008, 05:04 AM

"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
I'm guessing it will be as boring and underwhelming as the rest of the series, and carry all of its substance in everything but gameplay, but I'll give it a whirl.
Heathen!

and 5 pages of flaming ensued

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 10:59 AM

mine is dispatched!
we don't have time to stop for gas

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 12:55 PM

I've heard the GTA series is great as far as the sandbox element is concerned, but the way is emphasizes the negative aspects of humanity really turns me off to it. I'd like to see a similar sandbox games that emphasize some of the better aspects of humanity. But, it looks like the people prefer blood and sex.

I believe this is, BTW, one of the reasons there hasn't been a decent Star Trek game in many, many years: Resolve interplanetary conflicts through careful diplomacy? No, just blast them away!

Sorry for the rant. I have nothing against some degree of violence in games, but I think sometimes it goes too far, and I'd like to see more variety out there.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 01:26 PM

Well, my local gamestop sells it tonight at midnight. I might pick it up tonight, but I've had such a busy four days I might wait until tomorrow.

And yeah, I got the collector's edition.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 01:33 PM

For which system?

(I think I can guess)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
So anyone else find themselves not really caring about the release? I'm sure I'll eventually get the game, but I'm so consumed with Rock Band and TF2 right now that I don't think I'll be getting GTA IV anytime soon. I'm sure it'll be awesome, though.
So I wrote this on page one. How wrong I was...

Going tonight at midnight to pick up my copy and I took the day off tomorrow.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 03:53 PM

I said the same thing a month ago.

"I'll probably buy it, but not right after it's released"

Yeah right!

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 03:54 PM

I'm also going for a midnight release at Gamestop, and definitely plan to take a "snow day" from classes tomorrow. If anyone watches the X-play podcast, i saw a few videos today from them on iTunes and they seem to be the best quality videos i've watched so far, although no long and not that exciting, they still are feeding my addiction till midnight.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I said the same thing a month ago.

"I'll probably buy it, but not right after it's released"

Yeah right!
jokell I can excuse because he isn't one of the Haloites, but you're an idiot.

I imagine you in the Halo lobby with the mic on going "Where is everyone?" Meanwhile, I'm spending 5 minutes burning out on ::maroma::'s corpse.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 04:27 PM

Whatever dude. I'll be too busy carjacking your face to be underneath your tires! (woah, the violence is already starting)

I don't think I'll be doing the midnight thing, as I have to work tomorrow. Although I haven't taken a day off in a while, so I'm kind of due for a sick day... Hrmmmmm....

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 04:30 PM

I just noticed mention of ranked and unranked multiplayer.

We may need to do some NN Ranked as a team.

That way, sek can sit in a Halo lobby with the mic on going "Where is everyone?" Meanwhile, I'm spending 5 minutes burning out on the corpse of some dude ::maroma:: killed.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 04:39 PM

I cannot wait to get some NN GTA going, if the halo NN meets were any indication, it will be amazing.
In honor of 7 hours remaining, i post my favorite screen shot from my day of surfing every review available...

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 04:43 PM

I love how his weapon of choice while riding a bike is grenades.

---

Oh, here's what I was referring to:
The online games are split into two types, ranked and unranked. The reward for the ranked gameplay will be cash. The amount of cash a player has will determine their rank.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 04:44 PM

A few multiplayer shots...

Forum Links
Forum Rules