Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > dsl modem question

dsl modem question
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2009, 08:30 AM

Not sure if any you guys would not the answer or any suggestions but I bought a new dsl modem because my original one went south. Its a zoom X5 and I was able to configure it for Verizon DSL, but I've noticed an odd behavior these two weeks I've had it hooked up. Some sort of latency, when opening a new web page or browser.

For instance, I have a VPN connection on VMware for work. When I swap over to OSX to start up a safari session, that safari session will give me a spinning beach ball, until the page shows up (10 to 30 seconds), but it does something to my VPN, that knocked it out, and I have to reconnect. The latency on some not all pages causes this and its mostly with new web pages or a new browser sessions. The modem appears to be working, no error messages in log, and I'm connected directly to the modem.

I'm not sure if there's any configuration changes within the modem that will help, I've been googling around and so far I've not found any suggestions.

I'm tempted to return it and try for another dsl modem but its pain to get it all together and of course I'm sure I'll get nailed with a restocking fee since the product is 2 weeks old and has been opened.

Long story short, is there any settings I should be looking to tweak to help the performance on this puppy?
~Mike

Cold Warrior
Mar 16, 2009, 11:48 AM

You need to keep the connection alive. There's a setting in your modem to allow for that. Your ISP may have provided diagnostic and configuration software or a CD with the software. I know my AT&T DSL modem came with it.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2009, 01:24 PM

Thanks, I didn't really see any option in the modem setup for that. I finally gave up and just now picked up a "Verizon" DSL modem from best buy. I'll return this zoom dsl modem.

It zoom one was giving me lots of headaches and in the end, it wasn't worth the hassle, the new one I picked up was easily configurable using Verizon's setup program and none of the issues that plagued me with the zoom model are present in this one. The dropping (or latency) problem I with the zoom wasn't the only issue, but just the latest.
~Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules