Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Life, Sockpuppets, and Everything Else

Life, Sockpuppets, and Everything Else (Page 6)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 10:39 AM

Has anybody else noticed that Abe is conspicuously absent? Also, just who is the puppet master and who is the puppeteer here?

andi*pandi
Apr 30, 2009, 11:13 AM

this thread is amusing.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by sockpuppet View Post
I am honoured by the implication, good sir, but you have wandered far astern of correct.
I think it's DH. You've got to go W-A-Y back to when he was just a regular mod to find examples of the flowery language he used to lock a thread or drop the ban-hammer. But when he did, he could write a ban in any number of different "voices" so it would not surprise me if he chose a nautical-themed voice in which to f*ck with us all.

(I miss the days when a good Demonhood banning could lead to days of discussion on the relative merits of the verbiage used in the ban. Heck, we used to have a thread dedicated solely to the appreciation of his bans. A thread where each new ban would be analyzed and dissected for its tonal variety and use of different media. Sigh! I am getting old.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

sockpuppet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Has anybody else noticed that Abe is conspicuously absent? Also, just who is the puppet master and who is the puppeteer here?
I know no master and no peer, puppeteer nor privateer.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2009, 11:59 AM

The return of WDLove?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Sea, go dearfa.
It's only been about 25 years since I've heard it used with any frequency, but I think I can divine the meaning there. I figured you must with such a fine Fenian name as Oisín. Well, that and and the fact that it appears you have a babel fish in your ear.

Hey, since you know all things language, I'll trust you for the definitive answer to a long running debate. My tavern of choice has the phrase "Reality is an hallucination caused by a lack of good beer" in foot high letters running the length of the bar. I contend that this is a grammatical abomination that shall not stand. All of the employees of this establishment adamantly defend this bull**** (except for one bouncer who stated "It don't ****ing look right to me no way you read it" and while I appreciate the support that damn near sent me me into a seizure) and contend that it is indeed correct because hallucination starts with 'H'. To this, I say yeah, it does start with 'H', and sounds like it too. An would only be appropriate if the 'H' is unsounded. Yet they stand tall in defense of their own ignorance. I mock them, I order "an beer and an sandwich". When the bartender flirts with a pretty chica, I tell her he's illiterate. These tactics have yet to be successful.

I'll take your answer as gospel. If you say it's a as opposed to an, I'll go down there tonight with a hammer and chisel and fix it once and for all. Or blast the 'n' off with an howitzer I keep mounted on the roof for emergencies.

I am honoured by the implication, good sir, but you have wandered far astern of correct.
Ha! You've been discovered sockpuppet person. I know. Bring me a Big Mac, fries from In and Out Burger, and a large cherry coke from that place I saw on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives by 2100 zulu at coordinates 43° 53′ 18″ N, 76° 26′ 42″ W or I talk!

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Heck, why not. I prolly dislike the British more than TI does, what with having to deal with the buggers on a daily basis and all that.

Doof's First Rule of Britishness, otherwise known as
"<uncouth word beginning with "C", rendered in the plural> and <British version of "donkeyorifices">".
Also known in polite company as "the 95% rule". Yes. 95% of Brits are Cs or As. Sometimes both. Get the venn diagrams out.

It's always been a dream that someday your people and mine could come together in a common dislike of your people. Doofy, you my friend give me hope for the future!
Nemo me impune lacesset

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Hey, since you know all things language, I'll trust you for the definitive answer to a long running debate. My tavern of choice has the phrase "Reality is an hallucination caused by a lack of good beer" in foot high letters running the length of the bar. I contend that this is a grammatical abomination that shall not stand.
Either is fine, depending upon whether you sound the "h" or not.

Does the bartender have a pet 'alibut?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Either is fine, depending upon whether you sound the "h" or not.

Does the bartender have a pet 'alibut?
Exactly! The next person I hear read that quote and doesn't pronounce it 'allucination' gets slapped.
Nemo me impune lacesset

sockpuppet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2009, 12:13 PM

Ha! You've been discovered sockpuppet person. I know. Bring me a Big Mac, fries from In and Out Burger, and a large cherry coke from that place I saw on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives by 2100 zulu at coordinates 43° 53′ 18″ N, 76° 26′ 42″ W or I talk!
If you crave fresh meat, you will be disappointed. Unless there is a ferry from Sackets Harbor? Some kind of boat?

Although I do recognize the gig is up.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 12:17 PM

Exactly! The next person I hear read that quote and doesn't pronounce it 'allucination' gets slapped.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2009, 12:25 PM

If you crave fresh meat, you will be disappointed. Unless there is a ferry from Sackets Harbor? Some kind of boat?

Although I do recognize the gig is up.
Swim. It's only fifteen miles lady or man (whichever the case may be). Just don't let my fries get soggy. Oh, if you're heading out from Sackets grab me a growler of 1812 ale at the brewery and a small pizza with meatballs and extra cheese from Good Fellas. K, thanks, see ya later.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 12:39 PM

It's always been a dream that someday your people and mine could come together in a common dislike of your people.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 12:59 PM

Doofy: why does your signature have a bunch of golf tees?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 01:02 PM

I'm secretly trying to sell you a herd of golf clubs, Bess. It's subversive advertising. Or rather it was, before I just told you about it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 01:12 PM

Are you sure multiple golf clubs are herds? I would have gone with "flocks" myself...

Don't worry, I'm not going to ask you anything about Teen Wolf, I know that it hasn't caught up to you guys in the U.K. yet.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 30, 2009, 04:28 PM

I wish your signature could express the nuances that Michael J Fox's character had in his voice when he said that line from Teen Wolf. Do you besson3c? Don't you wish it had a little flash button you could click on that would pop up a little Teen Wolf face that would recite the line with the proper intensity?

That would be so Awesome.

I also wonder how the Teen Wolf would have reacted if he got a keg of non-alcoholc beer. I think he would have giggled and patted his tummy. What say you good ole besson3c?
( Last edited by Railroader; Apr 30, 2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: How did I type "often" instead of "awesome"?!?!)

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
That would be so often.
I'll wait with baited breath for that one too.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 06:03 PM

I don't think you guys understand. I know we all have our favorite movies, but this is different. I really like Teen Wolf. I mean, I REALLY like Teen Wolf, understand? Trust me, this is different.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2009, 06:20 PM

Hey, since you know all things language, I'll trust you for the definitive answer to a long running debate. My tavern of choice has the phrase "Reality is an hallucination caused by a lack of good beer" in foot high letters running the length of the bar. I contend that this is a grammatical abomination that shall not stand. All of the employees of this establishment adamantly defend this bull**** (except for one bouncer who stated "It don't ****ing look right to me no way you read it" and while I appreciate the support that damn near sent me me into a seizure) and contend that it is indeed correct because hallucination starts with 'H'. To this, I say yeah, it does start with 'H', and sounds like it too. An would only be appropriate if the 'H' is unsounded. Yet they stand tall in defense of their own ignorance. I mock them, I order "an beer and an sandwich". When the bartender flirts with a pretty chica, I tell her he's illiterate. These tactics have yet to be successful.

I'll take your answer as gospel. If you say it's a as opposed to an, I'll go down there tonight with a hammer and chisel and fix it once and for all. Or blast the 'n' off with an howitzer I keep mounted on the roof for emergencies.
So no pressure, eh?

Well, sorry to disappoint, but ‘hallucination’ is one of those tricky words that some people actually do pronounce without the h (etymologically, the correct form—I’m not sure where it comes from exactly, but the h is some kind of early tautological addition common to both Late Latin and some dialects of Late Ancient Greek; the Sanskrit and OCS cognates never had them, though).

Personally, I think ‘an allucination’ sounds ridiculous and agree completely with you; but since the rules of distribution for the allomorphs* of the English indefinite article are so vague and rely on the individual speaker, I fear there’s no real way of rebutting this sadly misled bar staff. If they say ‘allucination’, then so be it. Bah.

* Allomorphs isn’t the right word, but my brain is being dense and stupid and I can’t think of the right word. It’s not an allophone, not an allomorph, nor is it an allograph … Ngh.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Personally, I think ‘an allucination’ sounds ridiculous and agree completely with you
I took the liberty of editing that down to the pertinent part.

I'm amending my earlier statement. Anyone that reads the quote and doesn't pronounce it allucination gets slapped, any one that does pronounce it allucination gets hit out of general principal. I should probably put up a sign tonight.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2009, 06:33 PM

^ I like this solution. Fair on both sides.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
The return of WDLove?
awesome!

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2009, 08:40 PM

Looks like this is becoming Jibber-Jabber and nonsense. Shall I create the new Weekly Fun Thread where everyone can share silly stories and stupid jokes and what not? This thread's getting stale!
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2009, 08:50 PM

Is this a cake?

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2009, 08:54 PM

No!
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2009, 09:10 PM

There's a cake I wouldn't mind sinking my teeth into.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Is this a cake?

Bah, it's an hallucination

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 09:55 PM

That butt was weird acne all over it that is so pronounced it shows through those pants!

It must be Turtle's butt.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2009, 10:05 PM

or Alexander's!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by cwkmacuser View Post
Looks like this is becoming Jibber-Jabber and nonsense. Shall I create the new Weekly Fun Thread where everyone can share silly stories and stupid jokes and what not? This thread's getting stale!
You must be new here...

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2009, 10:21 PM

Huh?
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2009, 10:22 PM

He sure likes to create new threads. Sounds like a good thread topic.

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2009, 10:24 PM

I was just referring to something I said earlier. right after TI convinced me to join in.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

iM@k
Senior User
May 1, 2009, 12:32 AM

***Help me write a song for this thread***

I've decided it'll be in the tune of "Can you feel the love tonight (Lion KIng Version)" help me come up with the rest. cwkmacuser and I will start it off, and the rest of you folks can be the chorus.

iM@k:
I can see what's happening!
cwkmacuser:
What?
iM@K:
And they don't have a clue.
cwkmacuser:
Who?
iMac:
They'll laugh a lot and here's the bottom line,
we'll all end up in the zoo
cwkmacusr:
oh.
iM@K:
Some LOLCatz and random comments
get posted everywhere,
and a sure my handle is iM@k,
DISASTAS IN THE AIR!

CHORUS:
We've all gone insane tonight,
it's a funny thing.
The threads off track, but we're still posting,
until it's old and lame.
What, me worry?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2009, 12:48 AM

[IMG]*snip*[/IMG]

No one needs to see that first thing in the morning!
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; May 1, 2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Just plain old nasty!)
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2009, 12:55 AM

What I really liked was that Scott (that's Teen Wolf for you lay people) didn't even bother to specify what kind of beer he wanted, he just wanted "a keg of beer", and got what he wanted!

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
May 1, 2009, 01:02 AM

RAILhead, take that image off. It's gross!
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2009, 01:38 AM

any one that does pronounce it allucination gets hit out of general principal.
Principle! Sheesh!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 1, 2009, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Principle! Sheesh!
That one was on purpose

Suddenly I'm in the mood for turtle soup!
Nemo me impune lacesset

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2009, 02:26 AM

I've been listening to this band lately: http://www.thepainsofbeingpureatheart.com/music/

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 1, 2009, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Principle! Sheesh!
I suddenly feel so flushed and embarrassed. I didn’t even notice that one.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2009, 01:08 PM

That one was on purpose

Suddenly I'm in the mood for turtle soup!
I can only offer turtle cake today.

-t

sockpuppet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2009, 02:08 PM

Swim. It's only fifteen miles lady or man (whichever the case may be). Just don't let my fries get soggy. Oh, if you're heading out from Sackets grab me a growler of 1812 ale at the brewery and a small pizza with meatballs and extra cheese from Good Fellas. K, thanks, see ya later.
I got tired halfway across and had to be rescued by the Canadian Swimming Police.

Being a sockpuppet is exhausting. I hereby bequeath this sockpuppet to whoever needs it most.
id: sockpuppet pw: muppet

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
May 1, 2009, 02:24 PM

What's the password
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2009, 02:26 PM

I got tired halfway across and had to be rescued by the Canadian Swimming Police.

Being a sockpuppet is exhausting. I hereby bequeath this sockpuppet to whoever needs it most.
I'll take it. May is National Masturbation Month anyway.

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
May 1, 2009, 02:36 PM

Ok, you're really weird. I already asked for the password! I want it!
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

sockpuppet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2009, 02:48 PM

Ok, you're really weird. I already asked for the password! I want it!
Too late.
id: sockpuppet pw: muppet

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
May 1, 2009, 02:53 PM

I posted for it first! That's not fair.

You're all just joking, right?
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2009, 03:00 PM

No. This is how serious matters are decided in the Lounge.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

iM@k
Senior User
May 1, 2009, 03:02 PM

I posted for it first! That's not fair.

Don't worry about the sockpuppet, Instead try coming up with the next verse in our song.
What, me worry?

Forum Links
Forum Rules