Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Google selectively using SSL for stock symbol searches

Google selectively using SSL for stock symbol searches
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2011, 04:35 PM

I just today noticed that when getting the page for AAPL from Google, it gives me a page protected, actually partially by SSL encryption. Other Google searches aren't getting this, but stock quotes are. I'm currently logged into my Google account. Is there a particular reason why stock quote pages are getting encrypted?

Btw, I look at Google stock quotes fairly often on weekdays. This is the first time I've noticed https, and I think I would have noticed it if it were happening before. I think it's a very good thing. I'd like to see the web move to nearly pervasive encryption.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 8, 2011 at 04:43 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2011, 04:42 PM

I noticed a while ago that all google searches were being encrypted. Then it stopped. Not sure what's going on with stock searches in particular.

OAW

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2011, 04:53 PM

The podcast I was listening to this morning said that all searches will be SSL, but only if you are logged in. There is also a workaround for large schools so that their searches are not over SSL.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2011, 05:17 PM

That's interesting, on my laptop on the same network only stock quotes are SSLed right now. But here only my desktop everything is.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Nov 9, 2011, 07:40 AM

You can encrypt every Google search by just typing https:// in front instead of http://. It has the added benefit of hiding your search terms from advertisers when you click on a link in the search results.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules