Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Wireless Keyboard has been shipped to me

Apple Wireless Keyboard has been shipped to me
Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Sep 19, 2003, 08:48 AM

Here are the pix!

- Thilo
( Last edited by Thilo Ettelt; Sep 19, 2003 at 10:34 AM. )

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Thilo Ettelt:
Here are the pix!

- Thilo
Hi,
my keyboard and mouse is on its way. Exoect it by monday. So, how is it? is it easy to set up? how is the mouse? smooth, or jumpy? Please give some details.

Sophus

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Sophus:
Hi,
my keyboard and mouse is on its way. Exoect it by monday. So, how is it? is it easy to set up? how is the mouse? smooth, or jumpy? Please give some details.

Sophus
He only ordered the Keyboard. I don't think he would want to use a one button mouse.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2003, 06:09 PM

Did you take those pics with an iSight?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2003, 04:51 AM

Nice - Don't forget to buy a shedload of these:

Thilo Ettelt  (op)
Senior User
Sep 20, 2003, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
He only ordered the Keyboard. I don't think he would want to use a one button mouse.

Ming
Sorry to disappoint you! I actually ordered a Wireless Mouse, but due to a mistake from Apple (and my mistake noticing it too late) they send me the keyboard. And when it arrived yesterday I couldn't let go! I will order the wireless mouse quite soon though.

The keyboard's configuration is plain simple. You install a firmware update to bluetooth if needed and the driver. The driver is probably (don't know for sure) updating the bluetooth software. But what it does for sure is bundling the mouse and keyboard preference panes to one. Just like in Panther. The configuration of the keyboard is very simple too: the bluetooth assistant will show you a (probably random) number which you are supposed to enter and hit tab in the end. Done. You can type away! (as i'm doing right now )

- Thilo

Thilo Ettelt  (op)
Senior User
Sep 20, 2003, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Did you take those pics with an iSight?
No, I took those with my T610 cell (T616 in the US?).

- Thilo

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 06:52 AM

Here are my pics -

http://homepage.mac.com/hasandaddymac/PhotoAlbum19.html

I'm really loving the new keyboard --- much better keys and much more comfort --- major improvement! This has to be THE BEST keyboard on the market (other than those funky ergonomic ones) hehehe

the mouse is exactly the same

NO USB PORTS on the keyboard --- so keep that in mind when purchasing

very happy with the purchase though ---- if you have a spare $200, then I highly recommend the following setup for your laptops ---

1. Grif iCurve
2. Wireless Keyboard
3. Wireless Mouse

you'll love it!
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

ddma
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 10:12 AM

Hi there, is the Bluetooth mouse as responsive as the wired mouse? I tried some wireless mouse and one was Microsoft, they were all having a little bit delay.

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 02:45 PM

DAMN THAT MOUSE! No 2nd button, no scroll wheel! ARG! Otherwise I'd buy a pair in a second. Apple (or more precisely Steve Jobs) will never learn.

[/rant]

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

chingas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2003, 03:25 PM

I ordered both the keyboard and mouse from Macmall the day they were announced. I'll probably have to wait 2-3 weeks...
I still wish Apple had created a two-button mouse as an option. Maybe they are considering the risk of repetitive motion injuries when using a mouse with two or more buttons?

Anyhow, I'm old-school. Left hand on the keyboard, right hand on the mouse. That always seemed to get the job done(I am a graphic designer).

yaro
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 06:07 PM

Is it waterproof and kid proof?

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by krove:
DAMN THAT MOUSE! No 2nd button, no scroll wheel! ARG! Otherwise I'd buy a pair in a second. Apple (or more precisely Steve Jobs) will never learn.

[/rant]

Well these say Keyboard/Mouse...maybe the Pro versions of these will have the 2nd button and scroll wheel. Maybe backlit wireless Pro Keyboard? Hmmmmm
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by chingas:
I ordered both the keyboard and mouse from Macmall the day they were announced. I'll probably have to wait 2-3 weeks...
I still wish Apple had created a two-button mouse as an option. Maybe they are considering the risk of repetitive motion injuries when using a mouse with two or more buttons?

Anyhow, I'm old-school. Left hand on the keyboard, right hand on the mouse. That always seemed to get the job done(I am a graphic designer).
I watched jobs's apple expo keynote and he said the 12" powerbook is available "today", but none in any apple stores or retailers.

He said the mouse and keyboard is shipping in 2 weeks, but in apple store-long island, nyc, they are all over the place.

if you don't want to wait, maybe you should go to your local apple store.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 09:42 PM

So, does the Bluetooth keyboard work before the OS loads? i.e. in open firmware, or to do things like "command-option-P-R", or hold down the shift key etc?

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2003, 11:50 PM

To the OP (or anyone else with one): you say no plastic on top? Does that mean the keys basically just sit on top of the back of the keyboard? If so, that would be great because it would appear that way you can get all the junk out just by turning it upside down and shaking and smacking. I hate how dirty the Pro keyboards get and there's no easy way to open them up to clean them other than taking off all the keys. (Or maybe there is, but I don't know of one.)

If so, does the eMac keyboard that ships with new Macs (which looks a lot like this one but wired, and isn't called "Pro Keyboard" anymore) also have this modification to the design?

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 21, 2003, 02:43 AM

Has anyone tried using this keyboard in Windows? I know it's a strange question, but there is a method to the madness here. My goal is to mainly use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with my desktop PC, then when I want an external keyboard and mouse for my 17" PB I can just grab them and go. So basically I'll have an extra keyboard and mouse for my PB without having to disconnect and reconnect any wires at all. This would probably be a lot easier if I just had a desktop Mac, but we can't have everything we want now can we?

skyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 02:45 PM

I have exactly the same interest. I would also like to find out what I would kind of bluetooth tranceiver I would need to get to use in my pc. Would I need a special driver. Would the bluetooth work with palm devid\ces?

Thanks.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by mkincaid:
To the OP (or anyone else with one): you say no plastic on top? Does that mean the keys basically just sit on top of the back of the keyboard?
Yup and yup.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Nice - Don't forget to buy a shedload of these:

Or perhaps just invest in some rechargeables?
They are supported in both the kb and mouse.

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2003, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by cc_foo:
So, does the Bluetooth keyboard work before the OS loads? i.e. in open firmware, or to do things like "command-option-P-R", or hold down the shift key etc?
That's what the firmware update is for.
Aloha

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Link:
That's what the firmware update is for.
There's a Mac firmware update included with the keyboard?

michael_on_mac
Oct 4, 2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Thilo Ettelt:
Here are the pix!
Thilo, did you get a German layout? If yes, did Apple learn about square brackets, etc.? Using KBs of different layout makes me and then ...

Thanks,
Michael.

BTW: Can some of you estimate the cpm-rate (cleanings-per-month)???
12" Al PB Rev. B, SD, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB disk, OS X 10.3.1. IBM TP A30p with Linux 2.4.20 for serious stuff ;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules