Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 1.2 is OUT!

Safari 1.2 is OUT! (Page 2)
aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2004, 10:26 PM

A nice thing I noticed in this version is that now, when you open an image in a new window, it will tell you the size of the image. From what I remember, the last version did not do this and it drove me nuts. It is handy when doing web dev and you need the dimensions of a image you will be replacing.

-b

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by aapljack:
A nice thing I noticed in this version is that now, when you open an image in a new window, it will tell you the size of the image. From what I remember, the last version did not do this and it drove me nuts. It is handy when doing web dev and you need the dimensions of a image you will be replacing.

-b
Definately handy, but I wouldn't mind a "Properties" window like Firebird.

In addition, Safari uses way too much CPU time... not really detectable on my 2x2 G5, but clearly too much on my 600MHz iBook when there are many animated GIFs (like on this forum's text entry page) - like 80%. Although, this isn't really specific to version 1.2. Without the animated GIFs, Safari uses a miserly 6% at idle.

posthumanus
Senior User
Feb 2, 2004, 10:54 PM

Cadaver:

doesn't PithHelmet let you control animated GIFs?

but from memory, we'll wait a week or so for a v1.2 compatable download

posthumanus

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Feb 2, 2004, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by posthumanus:
Cadaver:

doesn't PithHelmet let you control animated GIFs?

but from memory, we'll wait a week or so for a v1.2 compatable download

posthumanus
Since it's relevant to my question ("how to stop the animated GIFs"), I took a look at PithHelmet. It looks to me a rather sophisticated hack (plugin) - it is reliable? It can surely block the images, but how about just stopping the animation?

It's kind of pity that Safari still doesn't support this itself - Mozilla has had this for a long time now. The animation not only wastes cycles, but hurts my eyes too!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 11:46 PM

pithhelmet lets you choose if you want animated gifs to play once, never, continuously.

there is an option in there somewhere of pithhelmet.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by Mike Pither:
I have to say that I am a little disappointed that most of my online bank page still doesn't show up still. Nothing but nothing apart from Explorer works. Dam Italian banks!!
Same here with National Bank of Canada, only IE works. Grrrrrr.....

Rickster
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 12:12 AM

OmniWeb doesn't use the same copy of WebCore that Safari does -- we have a customized version of WebCore inside OmniWeb.app. Safari updates shouldn't affect OmniWeb unless they also include updates to the Cocoa frameworks themselves, or lower-level OS components.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2004, 12:35 AM

Tab-selecting of form elements seems to be only half-implemented. You can select a pop-up list item, but can't use letter keys to select individual items within it (though the arrow keys work). Grr.

And if you highlight an item, you have to hit "return" before you're allowed to tab to the next item. Grr #2.

Where's that bug button...

[addendum] The letter keys work if you first "open" the item using the arrow keys or something. The letter keys should be available for navigation immediately. Bug submitted.

I still think that the way OSX handles keyboard navigation of lists is wrong in general, but I'll be thankful to have some way of navigating forms without the mouse.
( Last edited by neilw; Feb 3, 2004 at 12:41 AM. )

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by jgcan:
Same here with National Bank of Canada, only IE works. Grrrrrr.....
Works fine with Scotia bank from day 1.

"If it's broke, you choke."

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2004, 12:43 AM

The download manager changed. Now when decompression of a zip file fails, it doesn't let you retry. Kind of annoying.

Anyone have trouble with Safari on password-protected sites? Sometimes it prompts me on every page, even if the username and password are saved to the keychain. It seems to have something to do with tabbing or scrollwheel use or something. I haven't quite figured out why it occurs.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 01:29 AM

Anyone know how to bring back Safari's multithreaded-ness? Apple neutered it some update(s) ago, and I was hoping it would return. No rendering on mouse down is kind of a...bummer.
I, ASIMO.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 01:42 AM

Looks like v1.2 broke Cocoa Gestures

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 02:23 AM

Whoa! Check this out. When you download a file now, it creates a temporary file with a ".download" extention that you can double-click to resume. But even more impressive is that it shows progress in the Finder icon in real time! Check it out...

downloadicon.mov - 2.4MB

coolmacdude
Senior User
Feb 3, 2004, 02:38 AM

This version is definitely much faster.

Well don Apple.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 04:18 AM

Whoa, is it me or does Safari no longer cascade windows? If it doesn't, fantastic!

kovacs
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:

Well don Apple.
Yeah pretty impressive

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Feb 3, 2004, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by ckohler:
Whoa! Check this out. When you download a file now, it creates a temporary file with a ".download" extention that you can double-click to resume. But even more impressive is that it shows progress in the Finder icon in real time! Check it out...

downloadicon.mov - 2.4MB

Nice movie...
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 06:30 AM

That's very clever indeed.
(especially if you're on dial up)

Sniffer gone old-school sig

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 09:25 AM

Its alot faster, even the menus seem to go faster. Its also fixed some sites , but has broken timesonline.co.uk

but overall I like it

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:

Well don Apple.
I agree 100%.

Safari is really a winner.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
No longer shows the throughput when downloading files. Nurts!
yeah just option click the time remaining changes to kb/sec...but it defaults to time remaining for new downloads ..that sux tho.

different note...im loving this browser now...only a few more changes i have on my liet an id be entirely satisfied with this app.

Well done Apple...fantastic job with this browser now.

Finally everything is starting to shape up in OS X...

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Looks like v1.2 broke Cocoa Gestures
Never-mind, I tweaked my mouse settings to work with the new download window (wants a click+control rather than a right-click) and that's what messed with the gestures.

This Safari update rocks

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 01:08 PM

Will Safari ever implement a "Block images from this server" feature? I like that in Mozilla, and I don't like messing around with custom CSS sheets because they seem to both slow down page rendering as well as flub up whole web sites.

Other than that, Safari is great.

yaro
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 01:52 PM

Will Safari or any of the other browsers have pervasive auto history searches in the location (address) bar like IE? Even the IE on the pc does not have it.

DanMacMan
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
Will Safari ever implement a "Block images from this server" feature? I like that in Mozilla, and I don't like messing around with custom CSS sheets because they seem to both slow down page rendering as well as flub up whole web sites.

Other than that, Safari is great.
Pith Helmet is the answer; http://hiredgoons.com/dl/files/PithHelmet-0.7.2a.tbz
One Nation under Steve.
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB RAM/6 GB/CD
iPod 20GB, 4th Gen
iPhone 8GB, 1.1.4

yannb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 03:39 PM

This website still doesn't work. How come? It works in Internet Explorer.

http://www.audi.be/mix.asp?lg=nl

absmiths
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 04:19 PM

Safari 1.2 hasn't fixed my longest-standing problem. When I open Safari it tries to load the home page. If I am in a hurry and don't want to wait, I click the little X button. Unfortunately, that click doesn't "get through" until the page is completely done rendering and the button changes to a refresh button. So, most of the time, I have to wait for the page to load twice. This only seems to happen on first launch - but it is very irritating.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Bummer. It appears English has a serious limitation! In German I would have said: "Sie benutzen die gleiche 'Engine', aber nicht die selbe." But this is impossible to say in English.
Yeah, English sucks. It's a wonder we manage to say anything at all . . .

Maybe that "bug" will be fixed in the 2010 version.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
Yeah, English sucks. It's a wonder we manage to say anything at all . . .
I didn't say English sucks. I just said it has one serious limitation.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 05:08 PM

Glitch.. A couple of times today, the scroll bar on the right hand side has become corrupted. Just graphics I think, as it still works. But at one point I had 3 blue control bar/blob things in the same strip.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
Safari 1.2 hasn't fixed my longest-standing problem. When I open Safari it tries to load the home page. If I am in a hurry and don't want to wait, I click the little X button. Unfortunately, that click doesn't "get through" until the page is completely done rendering and the button changes to a refresh button. So, most of the time, I have to wait for the page to load twice. This only seems to happen on first launch - but it is very irritating.
Have you thought about it opening to a "Empty Page"? That would solve this issue. When you want your home page, you simply hit the home button and you can get it. Just an idea...

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Glitch.. A couple of times today, the scroll bar on the right hand side has become corrupted. Just graphics I think, as it still works. But at one point I had 3 blue control bar/blob things in the same strip.
yes i had this as well - i switched to another tab then back ..this cleared it up.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 06:13 PM

What an update, I just realized the 4 downloads limit is now also gone!

And I think Apple has gone 10.3 only with Safari, with the Google search box now being the 10.3 only NSSearchField.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
And I think Apple has gone 10.3 only with Safari, with the Google search box now being the 10.3 only NSSearchField.
It appears that Apple won't be updating the Jaguar Safari any longer besides major security holes that come up...no more new features...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 06:27 PM

not to backtrack (okay, i AM repeating from my eariler post), but does anyone else use safari without viewing the address bar?

i used to be able to open a tab, type an address, hit return, and...be there.

now, nothing happens. i HAVE to open the address bar, and enter in a site there.

anyone else bothered by this?

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Feb 3, 2004, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:

I'll be damned...I didn't notice that 'till you mentioned it.

JC Denton
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
not to backtrack (okay, i AM repeating from my eariler post), but does anyone else use safari without viewing the address bar?

i used to be able to open a tab, type an address, hit return, and...be there.

now, nothing happens. i HAVE to open the address bar, and enter in a site there.

anyone else bothered by this?

But the address bar does disappear once the site loads, right? This behavior seems more intuitive to me, since you are filling in a text field...of course, I never tried it before Safari 1.2, so maybe I'm missing something.

On another note, was Safari always so dock-aware? I had a Safari window on my secondary monitor, and I dragged it to my main monitor. The bottom part of the window was obscured by the dock, but it immediately resized itself to accommodate the dock. Is this new, or did I just miss this in previous versions?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 07:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JC Denton:
[B]But the address bar does disappear once the site loads, right? This behavior seems more intuitive to me, since you are filling in a text field...of course, I never tried it before Safari 1.2, so maybe I'm missing something.

?? not following you.. if i have to view the address bar to enter an address, i still have to close it after if i dont want to...view the address bar *sigh*

also, i keep some pages (like "my yahoo") open to a certain part of the page; previously, when the page reloaded itself, it would return to the same place; now it seems to return to the top of the page.

hmmmmmm....
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

JC Denton
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:

?? not following you.. if i have to view the address bar to enter an address, i still have to close it after if i dont want to...view the address bar *sigh*

Well, when I have the address bar hidden and press Command-L, the address bar becomes visible. I type in the URL and press return. The address bar slides out of view and the page loads. I now have a window with the page title and the loaded page. There is a problem if the URL is invalid; in that case, the address bar remains in view and doesn't disappear. I guess if seeing the address bar during the time it takes to type the URL is problematic, I don't know what you can do.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2004, 08:47 PM

downloadicon.mov - 2.4MB

I wish my "T1" line is that fast.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by JC Denton:
Well, when I have the address bar hidden and press Command-L, the address bar becomes visible. I type in the URL and press return. The address bar slides out of view and the page loads. I now have a window with the page title and the loaded page. There is a problem if the URL is invalid; in that case, the address bar remains in view and doesn't disappear. I guess if seeing the address bar during the time it takes to type the URL is problematic, I don't know what you can do.

in safari's previous incarnation, opening a tab and typing an address (and hitting return) took you to the page; no need for command-L!

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 11:47 PM

Is it just my system? When I drag a graphic to the desktop, used to be the download window would open and tell me what file was downloaded. Now I have to manually open the download window and it remains blank after the download, even though my preferences are set to clear downloads manually.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Titanium Man:
Is it just my system? When I drag a graphic to the desktop, used to be the download window would open and tell me what file was downloaded. Now I have to manually open the download window and it remains blank after the download, even though my preferences are set to clear downloads manually.
Safari no longer has to re-download an image when you drag and drop from a page now (hence your Download Manager being blank)...makes drag/drop very easy! In fact, you can now select text AND pictures and drag them at the same time....

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2004, 12:23 AM

Okay, but it is kind of a pain. I'm often dragging to column-view windows with lots of files in them and want to rename the image, which is tough when I don't know which file it is. So now I guess I'll have to either open the image in a new tab first to see the name or drop it to the desktop first before moving or copying to the final location. Just another extra step.
( Last edited by Titanium Man; Feb 4, 2004 at 12:33 AM. )

SomeToast
Senior User
Feb 4, 2004, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Titanium Man:
Okay, but it is kind of a pain. I'm often dragging to column-view windows with lots of files in them and want to rename the image, which is tough when I don't know which file it is.
Change the window to List and view by date. Your most recently dragged images will be the newest.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 01:39 AM

I don't know if this has been covered, but I just noticed you can now right-click on something in the history window and actually do something with it. I know that in v1.1 you could do the control-click thing, etc, but now it works like it should

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2004, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by sniffer:
That's very clever indeed.
(especially if you're on dial up)
While it's a nice feature, I wouldn't say clever - Many Mac browsers and download managers have been able to do this all the way back in OS 9.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2004, 02:19 PM

Well, I installed 1.2, but I still cannot jump to list boxes in form using TAB Key...

What's wrong?

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2004, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
While it's a nice feature, I wouldn't say clever - Many Mac browsers and download managers have been able to do this all the way back in OS 9.
This is true. I remember IE for OS9 doing this. But what strikes me as impressive is that (I believe) this is the first OSX application to do real-time Finder icon updating. Some apps do Dock icon status updating, but this is the first I've seen to do Finder icon updating.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2004, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:
Well, I installed 1.2, but I still cannot jump to list boxes in form using TAB Key...

What's wrong?
You need to enable "Turn on full keyboard access" via the Keyboard & Mouse (Keyboard Shortcuts tab) System Preference pane...

Forum Links
Forum Rules