Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > QEMU (free Intel emulator) has been ported to OS X!

QEMU (free Intel emulator) has been ported to OS X! (Page 2)
ticotek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2004, 10:38 AM

I was playing in wikipedia to find a name with a "meaning" and here are some suggestions:

1- Balaclava: another way to call a ski mask. Because it covers QEMU
2- Helmet: protects you from the terminal.
3- Casco: helmet in spanish.
4- Burda: this one is because qemugui sounds like "A lot" or it's synonym "burda" in spanish.

VEGAN
Senior User
Jul 13, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
BeOS 5 comes on an image with a .be extension which is not recognized as a valid disk image in QEMU GUI...could that be changed?
I'm not familiar with .be extension, but sometimes it works to change the extension to .img or .iso

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 13, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by VEGAN:
I'm not familiar with .be extension, but sometimes it works to change the extension to .img or .iso
Tried and didn't work.

I wasn't familiar with the .be extension either.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Preferences? I think the difference here is between "Save As", Export and Conversion. With save as, you're maintaining all of your data but in a different format. With plain text, depending on your document you're converting it, throwing out all style information. More akin to an export. Obviously there's a fine line but here I think it makes perfect sense. converting to plain text is an action that can be made on a document. If it were in save as, should it pop up a second sheet, second dialog alerting the user that it'll be throwing out any style information? It's as if you wanted your into document in bold and wanted a "bolded document" option to save as. To bold your document you would have to actually save your document which you may not want to do. Just as you may want to convert a document to plain text without saving it... Say you want to create a text version of an RTF file while maintaining the original. Or quickly turn a word document to text to copy an excerpt to the e-mail.

In TextEdit, I have my default as RTF since I create a few style documents, but I also code websites, rather than having to save right away just to get it to be a text document, I can quickly convert to text and start writing. I also don't like writing code in anti-aliased Lucida Grande, so I like to convert right away, but that's just me

Anyways, personally I think it makes perfect sense and see it as being more hidden (or at least as hidden) if it were buried deep in a save as dialog as opposed to being in the format menu. Just because something is in a menu doesn't mean it's "hidden". Now TextEdit's preferences on the other hand... don't get me started on that. I think someone should really reorganize them into something a bit more manageable. Oh well...

In text edit, save as makes sense. In mail.app, preferences for sending makes more sense here. I'd like to always send plain text, but if I get any emails as rtf or html, I'd like to reply in the same format, which is what makes more sense generally.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2004, 11:38 AM

Looking good so far. I would probably use sheets for the Open and Save dialogs. It's only an extra few lines of code, and it stays consistent with the rest of the OS.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2004, 11:44 AM

Tried and didn't work.

I wasn't familiar with the .be extension either.
I changed the filename to "be.img" and it seemed to work.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by hyperb0le:
Looking good so far. I would probably use sheets for the Open and Save dialogs. It's only an extra few lines of code, and it stays consistent with the rest of the OS.
I disagree. Sheets are used for dialogs which are attached to existing documents. For example, inserting an image into a Word document. QEMU isn't a document-based application, so using dialogs is appropriate.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 13, 2004, 12:13 PM

Ok...I downloaded BeOS4Linux from the link in this thread.

It comes with a 500MB image.be image.

Launched from Terminal, it boots off the image but then BeOS kernel panics during the boot sequence.

Launched from QEMU (I was wrong about it not recognizing .img or .iso), it recognizes the image but seems to want to boot from the CD-ROM even though the option is set to boot off the primary HD.

I get a:

CDROM boot failure code : 0003
Boot from CD-Rom failed
FATAL: Could not read the boot disk
I even tried setting the image to be the CD-ROM and setting the boot disk as the CD-ROM with no success.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I disagree. Sheets are used for dialogs which are attached to existing documents. For example, inserting an image into a Word document. QEMU isn't a document-based application, so using dialogs is appropriate.
I know the HIG say sheets should be used for Document-based application, but take a look at some built-in, non-document-based apps:

Address Book - Uses Sheets for its "Export vCard" function
Activity Monitor: Uses sheets for its "Save" function
Printer Setup Utility: Uses sheets for its "Add" function.

And also, the Save button in this is does open a dialog that is related to the current window. It is saving the configuration that is showing in the window. Even though the program does not use NSDocument, each config is still treated like a document.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 13, 2004, 12:25 PM

Actually, sheets can be used in non-document-based apps. They are the 'modal dialog' equivalent to Classic Mac OS's modal dialogs. The advantage is that they can be attached to the document (or non-document) window and not block users from doing something else in another document or even another app.

Sheets should be used anywhere where user attention and action is needed before another action in that window is to be made. If it's not in the HIG, the HIG is probably just grossly outdated. Does anyone know when the last update to the HIG was made?

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2004, 12:49 PM

Actually, sheets can be used in non-document-based apps. They are the 'modal dialog' equivalent to Classic Mac OS's modal dialogs. The advantage is that they can be attached to the document (or non-document) window and not block users from doing something else in another document or even another app.

Sheets should be used anywhere where user attention and action is needed before another action in that window is to be made. If it's not in the HIG, the HIG is probably just grossly outdated. Does anyone know when the last update to the HIG was made?
Exactly. And the last update to the HIG was when Panther was released, although I doubt they updated everything, since there are still some major issues in the HIG.

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 13, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Please don't kill me but I think it might be nicer to use an NSTableView instead of four separate text views - just limit the table views to 4 items for the hard drives and 2 for the floppies. That way, if the QEMU folks ever remove that limit so you can use an unlimited number of disk images, you will be able to update the GUI without changing the interface drastically.

Oh, and in case you don't decide to use that suggestion - there's a typo in the Hard Drives tab - "forth" should be "fourth".
Ya, I mentioned I needed to change the GUI. A NSTableView sounds like a good idea, but still seems bulky. I like this idea better than what I have now however.

What I was toying around with was a popup menu, and then I would only need 1 choose button and 1 clear button. (depending on what item you had choosen, that woudl be displayed and editable). I am not sure how this woudl fly with you guys, but it woudl be a way to really slim-line the drive interface.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by kupan787:
Ya, I mentioned I needed to change the GUI. A NSTableView sounds like a good idea, but still seems bulky. I like this idea better than what I have now however.

What I was toying around with was a popup menu, and then I would only need 1 choose button and 1 clear button. (depending on what item you had choosen, that woudl be displayed and editable). I am not sure how this woudl fly with you guys, but it woudl be a way to really slim-line the drive interface.

I think I'd prefer either the table view or the existing interface over a pop-up menu. It's good to be able to see all the disk images you are using at once...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 13, 2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

I think I'd prefer either the table view or the existing interface over a pop-up menu. It's good to be able to see all the disk images you are using at once...
Ok, I figured as much.

I will play around with some ideas, and see what I can come up with.

yaro
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2004, 07:50 PM

HyperBole,
There is a bug in your latest update:

Boot from CD-Rom failed

I cannot boot any of my images.
The old one still works.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by yaro:
HyperBole,

Boot from CD-Rom failed

The old one still works.
I think you meant to say that to kupan787. He's doing the programming, and I'm doing the icons

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 12:22 AM

An update: Windows XP does work with QEMU, although I would not recommend it to someone looking to actually do anything with it. System Properties says I'm running a 33 MHz Pentium Pro, and, believe me, it feels like it. Solitaire took a few minutes to load, but was responsive and quite playable (despite some graphics glitches in large areas of solid colors that aren't images - the green background of the window is messed up, but the card images are pristine). It's probably comparable to trying to run the full version of XP on a PDA. I assume Win98 (or Win2k) would run much better, but I don't have a copy of these that it will install from, so I can't test it.

In the end, it was an interesting experience, but basically unusable (with this system) at this point. Perhaps a Dual G5 would yield usable results (if it runs at all-- will all emulators run into the same problem VirtualPC did with the G5s?)

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
will all emulators run into the same problem VirtualPC did with the G5s?)
Probably not. A cross platform emulator wouldn't rely on pseudo-little endian mode like a Mac specific program would.

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 14, 2004, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by yaro:

Boot from CD-Rom failed

The old one still works.
Well, I am posting a new version now (new interface, cheated NSTableViews ). I just tested, and it is booting correctly for me. Let me know how things work for you.

I know, I know, I totally cheated on the NSTableViews, mainly I am just using them for looks. I wanted to get the even/odd row coloring to work (ala iTunes), but the check box in IB isn't doing anything . I am going to play with it some more, and see what I can't fix. I know that the NSTableView apraoch was suggested, as it would be easier to update my interface to allow for unlimited images (if the QEMU folks ever allow that). For now, with the fixed number, it is more of an interface thing right now.

You can now grab version 0.2 at:

http://www.macadvocacy.com/qConfig.zip

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2004, 03:02 AM

Well, I am posting a new version now (new interface, cheated NSTableViews ). I just tested, and it is booting correctly for me. Let me know how things work for you.

I know, I know, I totally cheated on the NSTableViews, mainly I am just using them for looks. I wanted to get the even/odd row coloring to work (ala iTunes), but the check box in IB isn't doing anything . I am going to play with it some more, and see what I can't fix. I know that the NSTableView apraoch was suggested, as it would be easier to update my interface to allow for unlimited images (if the QEMU folks ever allow that). For now, with the fixed number, it is more of an interface thing right now.

You can now grab version 0.2 at:

Wow, that was fast Nice work.

FYI, you misspelled "Miscellaneous" as "Miscellanies"

Also, the reason the tableView isn't showing the alternating colors is because of a bug in Panther that doesn't show the row colors until something in the tableView is changed (size, something added/deleted, etc). To fix it, just change the size of the tableView by 1 pixel in your awakeFromNib(). It would also be fixed if you put everything into the tableView instead of drawing it on top. If you want, I can probably throw together some code for that tomorrow.

Oh, and you might want to try implementing "selectableItemIdentifiers" in your toolbarController so the selected toolbar item gets that grey box behind it.

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 14, 2004, 03:40 PM

Wow, that was fast Nice work.

FYI, you misspelled "Miscellaneous" as "Miscellanies"
Thanks, I will fix that

Also, the reason the tableView isn't showing the alternating colors is because of a bug in Panther that doesn't show the row colors until something in the tableView is changed (size, something added/deleted, etc). To fix it, just change the size of the tableView by 1 pixel in your awakeFromNib(). It would also be fixed if you put everything into the tableView instead of drawing it on top. If you want, I can probably throw together some code for that tomorrow.
Ya, I mentioned it was a "cheated" NSTableView. My problem with implementing it outright was I wasn't sure how to implement controls (the buttons) inside of a row in a tableView. I know how to deal with images and text, but controls are new to me. I am still learning the ways

Oh, and you might want to try implementing "selectableItemIdentifiers" in your toolbarController so the selected toolbar item gets that grey box behind it.
Sounds like a good itdea

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2004, 04:51 PM

TYa, I mentioned it was a "cheated" NSTableView. My problem with implementing it outright was I wasn't sure how to implement controls (the buttons) inside of a row in a tableView. I know how to deal with images and text, but controls are new to me. I am still learning the ways
I've never tried it, but this might help.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2004, 04:52 PM

Ya, I mentioned it was a "cheated" NSTableView. My problem with implementing it outright was I wasn't sure how to implement controls (the buttons) inside of a row in a tableView. I know how to deal with images and text, but controls are new to me. I am still learning the ways
To do that, you use a subclass of NSCell. Almost all NSControl subclasses have an NSCell subclass to go with them (and which the NSControl subclasses use to display their interfaces). For example, NSButton has NSButtonCell, etc.

The docs for NSTableColumn let you know how to set an NSCell as the data cell for a column. It's pretty easy - you just make a cell and then pass it to setDataCell:.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 14, 2004, 11:14 PM

If you want, I can probably throw together some code for that tomorrow.
I totally missed this... I plan on taking a look at the link you sent me (and the notes from CharlesS) either tonight or tomorrow. If I can't get things working nicly by tomarrow, I will write back, and see if you are still interested in slapping something together. What woudl be great, is if you could throw together a smaple (not tied into this project), so I coudl take that and adapt it to my project. If you didn't mind I think that would be a nice way to help me learn this.

Now, back to some QEMU and this GUI discussion. Anyone that is using QEMU, have I missed any options that you use? I know there are a few others that I could throw in (the snapshot one, localtime, linux specific, etc), and it woudl probably be good to support everything just in case.

I am also thinking of adding a "PC list" of sorts (somewhat like VPC has). An easy means to launch a config by just choosing from a list of all your config files. You could provide a name and graphic to distinguish them...

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 15, 2004, 01:37 AM

The last version posted has a bug. I forgot to change some strings, and as such my GUI wont load QEMU. I should have a new version posted up tomarrow.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2004, 10:16 AM

Any word yet on an 0.6 release for OSX? You can't compile it from source without a patch, and I can't find the patch anywhere. I know it was written by the guy who made the OSX installer, but no one seems to have heard anything from him since the 0.6 release for other platforms.

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 15, 2004, 11:47 PM

Any word yet on an 0.6 release for OSX? You can't compile it from source without a patch, and I can't find the patch anywhere. I know it was written by the guy who made the OSX installer, but no one seems to have heard anything from him since the 0.6 release for other platforms.
Do you mean this qemuosx.diff

Or perhaps it is this qemu-portfile.tar.gz

I haven't looked at either, so I don't if it is what you need or not. The first one came from the post announcing the MacOS X version to the qemu mailing list. The second one comes form the site where the qemu mac installer is located.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2004, 11:53 PM

Any word on a new version of qConfig?

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 12:26 AM

Ok, new release of qConfig!

A lot has been changed up. Old config files wont work. The organization scheme is a bit different (let me know if it is liked or hated). Basicly upon launch now you are presented with a PC List window, which will list all your configured PCs. You can add a configuration to the list by hitting the Configure PC button (and you will get the old configuration window). Upon saving the new config will then be accessible from the PC list window (double click to launch qemu, or click teh run button with a config file selected). You can modify a configuration file by selecting it and hitting the Configure PC button.

A note about saving files. If you save a config file, and then move it, the PC list will loose track of the file. So you will have to remove the listing, and then create a new PC configuration file. So I would suggest creating a folder in your Documents folder and save all of your config files there.

Anyways, you can grab this version here:

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 16, 2004, 01:55 PM

I keep getting the CD-ROM boot error. qConfig and its predecessors have never worked for me...ever.

yaro
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2004, 03:00 PM

I keep getting the CD-ROM boot error. qConfig and its predecessors have never worked for me...ever.

Me too. Only the very first release works.
kupan787, have you been testing them? Maybe they work for you.

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 03:50 PM

I missed that, as I have always been booting from a CD (I am trying to install windows). I just fixed this issue, so hopefully it works for you now (let me know how it goes).

qConfig 0.3.1

Link fixed
( Last edited by kupan787; Jul 16, 2004 at 06:14 PM. )

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 16, 2004, 04:07 PM

I missed that, as I have always been booting from a CD (I am trying to install windows). I just fixed this issue, so hopefully it works for you now (let me know how it goes).

qConfig 0.3.1
qConfig 0.3.1...link fixed.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Jul 16, 2004 at 04:19 PM. )

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2004, 08:47 PM

Do you mean this qemuosx.diff

Or perhaps it is this qemu-portfile.tar.gz

I haven't looked at either, so I don't if it is what you need or not. The first one came from the post announcing the MacOS X version to the qemu mailing list. The second one comes form the site where the qemu mac installer is located.
For the record, neither of these files seems to be working. I can't tell what file the former is in at all (definitely not MacBinary or the .bin counterpart to a .cue somewhere, and I'm assuming it's not a Sega Genesis ROM) and the second one appears to be a deal link.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 09:30 PM

does QEMU allow you to change the floppy disk image while while emulator is running ("swapping disks")? If so, I can install Windows 3.11 on here, which would be much more suitable to this computer speed

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2004, 10:09 PM

I can't tell what file the former is in at all (definitely not MacBinary or the .bin counterpart to a .cue somewhere, and I'm assuming it's not a Sega Genesis ROM)
It looks like a diff to me. The filename just seems to have been mangled when it was sent to the list.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 17, 2004, 02:55 AM

For the record, neither of these files seems to be working. I can't tell what file the former is in at all (definitely not MacBinary or the .bin counterpart to a .cue somewhere, and I'm assuming it's not a Sega Genesis ROM) and the second one appears to be a deal link.
The second one still loads for me just fine (downloads and untars). The first link is a diff file. I probably should have posted a link to the message, rather than the direct download link to the file which came with the message.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qe.../msg00008.html

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 18, 2004, 09:45 PM

Ok, I finally got WinXP installed (installation wasn't too bad actually). Startup time isn't bad (1 minute 10 seconds to login screen, and then 40 seconds after login until useable system). However, some things run very slow (I am on a dual 2.0 G5). Opening IE takes awhile. Opening windows (like My Computer for example) takes soem time. Dialog boxes pop up near instantly, and dismiss near instantly. I have turned the interface to Classic style, and turned off all the "GUI Extras" I could. I also downloaded WCPUID and took some screenshots. It reports me as a 33 MHz Pentium Pro

http://www.macadvocacy.com/Picture_2.jpg
http://www.macadvocacy.com/Picture_3.jpg
http://www.macadvocacy.com/Picture_4.jpg

Opening webpages went rather well (not slow but not fast). It felt like I was on dialup (I have a cable conenction). After reading various reports, I was hoping for a bit better general performance. Hopefully in the future we shall see some.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 09:52 PM

Ok, I finally got WinXP installed (installation wasn't too bad actually). Startup time isn't bad (1 minute 10 seconds to login screen, and then 40 seconds after login until useable system). However, some things run very slow (I am on a dual 2.0 G5). Opening IE takes awhile. Opening windows (like My Computer for example) takes soem time. Dialog boxes pop up near instantly, and dismiss near instantly. I have turned the interface to Classic style, and turned off all the "GUI Extras" I could. I also downloaded WCPUID and took some screenshots. It reports me as a 33 MHz Pentium Pro

http://www.macadvocacy.com/Picture_2.jpg
http://www.macadvocacy.com/Picture_3.jpg
http://www.macadvocacy.com/Picture_4.jpg

Opening webpages went rather well (not slow but not fast). It felt like I was on dialup (I have a cable conenction). After reading various reports, I was hoping for a bit better general performance. Hopefully in the future we shall see some.

That's interesting, because XP also registered the CPU as a 33 MHz Pentium Pro, and I'm using a rev. A PowerBook G4 867MHz, so maybe it isn't capable of accommodating faster processors yet. (or maybe it does and just doesn't register the speed difference)

A word of advice: Windows 2000 is MUCH faster than XP. Almost usable. I still want to install Windows 3.11 on there, but I don't think QEMU will allow you to switch floppy disk images while it's running (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 18, 2004, 10:23 PM

I was just browsing some website and noticed that freeoszoo has an installer for MacOS X QEMU 0.6 (http://www.freeoszoo.org/download.php). What is interesting is it installs all the files into /opt/local/... and nothing can be run. If you sudo cp /opt/local/bin/qemu to /usr/local/bin it will launch, but fail saying:

qemu: could not load PC bios '/opt/local/share/qemu/bios.bin'

So I don't know if the installer is wacked out (I have never heard of the /opt directory, should files be going in there?), or something is messed up on my side.

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 18, 2004, 10:25 PM

That's interesting, because XP also registered the CPU as a 33 MHz Pentium Pro, and I'm using a rev. A PowerBook G4 867MHz, so maybe it isn't capable of accommodating faster processors yet. (or maybe it does and just doesn't register the speed difference)

A word of advice: Windows 2000 is MUCH faster than XP. Almost usable. I still want to install Windows 3.11 on there, but I don't think QEMU will allow you to switch floppy disk images while it's running (someone correct me if i'm wrong).
I would love to try out Win2000, but I only have a copy of XP here (my roommate is a Windows user, so I borrowed his XP disk).

As far as showing as a 33MHz PPro, it definatly runs faster than that. I seriously doubt XP would run at all on a 33MHz machine, let alone run as smoothly as it was (dragging windows, selecting items, startup, shut down, etc).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2004, 08:02 AM

does QEMU allow you to change the floppy disk image while while emulator is running ("swapping disks")? If so, I can install Windows 3.11 on here, which would be much more suitable to this computer speed
It does, but you'll need to use the system monitor CLI interface to do it. You can type "help" to get more info; check out the "eject" and "change" commands.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 11:52 AM

awesome, now i just have to get around to making those disk images. thanks!

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 20, 2004, 09:23 PM

I was just browsing some website and noticed that freeoszoo has an installer for MacOS X QEMU 0.6 (http://www.freeoszoo.org/download.php). What is interesting is it installs all the files into /opt/local/... and nothing can be run. If you sudo cp /opt/local/bin/qemu to /usr/local/bin it will launch, but fail saying:

qemu: could not load PC bios '/opt/local/share/qemu/bios.bin'

So I don't know if the installer is wacked out (I have never heard of the /opt directory, should files be going in there?), or something is messed up on my side.
Ok, just to follow up on this, it appears that you can run the new version of QEMU but only as root. I am not sure why they set it up this way (seems like the last version ran fine as non root, and now we are forced to run as root...). Does anyone here by chance know the developer who created the OS X installer? Perhaps someone could ask him why it is installed in a different location, and why the root requirement.

Also of note, 0.6 doesn't seem much faster on my G5. The CPU now reports as 31.7 MHz (instead of 33). Bootup is quicker (55 seconds vs 1 minute 14 seconds). But opening windows, applications, etc is still pretty slow.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2004, 12:11 PM

Has anyone tried using a USB device with Windows under Emulation with this software?
( Last edited by Diggory Laycock; Jul 22, 2004 at 12:29 PM. )

kupan787
Senior User
Jul 22, 2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Has anyone tried using a USB device with Windows under Emulation with this software?
I assume you mean outside of a USB keyboard and mouse, right

I just tried plugging my printer in (I am running XP). Nothing came up saying it found a new device. So I went in to manually add a printer. The selection window only has choices for LPT or COM ports, no USB. So I am guessing QEMU doens't support USB just yet.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 04:07 PM

Haha! This is cash.. I've been following this thread all along but I hadn't tried Qemu yet... Today I took the plunge and tried out a few operating systems. FreeDOS and NetBSD launch, though FreeDOS is fairly limited in what it can do. NetBSD works slowly (I haven't tried configuring X11 yet).

To install Windows, do we have to do like in VirtualPC and boot from DOS and then run the SETUP from the Windows CD in the drive? I haven't figured out how to make an empty disk image (is it as simple as creating an empty file of X size?)

Overall I'm impressed. Sweet GUI, dude.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

mishakim
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 09:35 PM

Ok, just to follow up on this, it appears that you can run the new version of QEMU but only as root. I am not sure why they set it up this way
That's just because the owner and permissions aren't set right. Change it to a combination that lets your UID run it, and you'll be fine. I changed everything in /opt to root/rwxrwxr-x, but that may not be completely necessary

Has anyone tried installing NT4? That's the most efficient windows installer I have access to, but I can't get it to work. It copied all the files (took forever), but on reboot, it BSODs during the screen that lists the memory and processor. To even get that far, I had to boot from one FreeDOS image, with the NT install disk image as a second:, and the target image as a third: With only two drives (/i386 source files on target drive), the installer claims it can't find the install files. I should have access to XP soon, I'll try that when I can.

as a second idea, I tried booting from an old VPC 3.0 NT drive, but that claimed NTKERNL.exe was missing or corrupt (may have file name wrong there), and since it's an NTFS drive, I can't replace the file, not that I believe it's corrupt.

EnVoy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2004, 02:06 PM

I have the install disk of W2kPro, how do I go about getting this to work with QEMU?

Henriok
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2004, 04:31 PM

BeOS Personal Edition. Follow the instructions on the site, and get the Linux package. Untar the thing and copy the actual image (the largest of the files) wherever you keep your other images. QEMU can boot straight off of that.
I think I need some help.
I get a kernel panic during the boot process, just after it lit the 5th icon (with disks). It was "unable to mount /dev/disk/ide/ata/0/master/0/0_0 type bfs on /boot".

I used Expander to untar the package and I renamed the image be.img.
When comming to the boot loader I have to choose a volume. I chose "Personal Edition (kernel_intel)".

I've tried QEMU 0.55 and 0.6 from the terminal (haven't tried qConfig yet, but it looks really good) with the exact same result.
I've changed owner and persissions on qemu so that it can be run as a user. The disk image is also rw for everyone.

This is what I run in the terimnal:
/usr/local/bin/qemu -hda ~/Desktop/QEMU/BeOS/be.img -boot c -m 128 -cirrusvga -user-net

I haven't tried any other OSs yet.. Someone should really mirror the FreeOSZoo.
( Last edited by Henriok; Jul 23, 2004 at 04:36 PM. )
- Henrik

Forum Links
Forum Rules