Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Automated Deep Sleep Not Working

G5 Automated Deep Sleep Not Working
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2004, 03:26 AM

If left idle, my new G5 will not deep sleep - only my monitor will sleep. However, if I manually select to sleep, my G5 will deep sleep (pulsating power LED). Is this something to worry about, and is anyone else experiencing this issue?
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jul 17, 2004 at 03:43 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2004, 09:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Big Mac:
If left idle, my new G5 will not deep sleep - only my monitor will sleep. However, if I manually select to sleep, my G5 will deep sleep (pulsating power LED). Is this something to worry about, and is anyone else experiencing this issue? [/QUOTE

Have you left any programs running at the time that you expect your computer to go into deep sleep? If I have left my AlchemyTV DVR running my G5 will not go to sleep, I think it has something to do with how the CPU is being utilized (or not). Just a guess.

Be sure that you have configured the Energy Saver properly in the System Preferences.
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2004, 12:34 PM

I have battled this for years.

My advice:

1) Go in and reset your energy settings (just change them by mintes/etc)
2) Shut down every running application.
3) Try to let it sleep (set it for 1 minute)
4) If that works, it is some applications (I think OmniGraffle and Watson do it). Mail, OmniWeb seem to be fine.
5) Start up one app at a time (or in groups) and see which one keeps your computer up.

BZ

Originally posted by Big Mac:
If left idle, my new G5 will not deep sleep - only my monitor will sleep. However, if I manually select to sleep, my G5 will deep sleep (pulsating power LED). Is this something to worry about, and is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 12:01 AM

Thank you so much for the information. I'm glad to know this isn't uncommon. I imagine Mail be the culprit.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

yaro
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 02:55 PM

Better yet, zap the pram.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 19, 2004, 05:39 PM

Even if mail is running it still sleeps for me.

Apps that keep it awake are itunes playing a song or Poisoned.

"Hello, what have we here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules