Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > intel powermacs ...omens

intel powermacs ...omens
deaglecat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2006, 04:29 AM

fwiw, apple has been putting "refurb" g5 powermacs and minis on the UK refurb store for the past few weeks. ... could be an indicator of tuesday's newa... after all they don't want to hold too much old inventory when the switch comes!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 26, 2006, 04:37 AM

They always have refurbs in the refurb store. What's your point...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

version
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 06:15 AM

Not sure if this is an indicator of anything, but I bought a few dual-core PMs from the UK store nearly 2 weeks ago. Thing is, they told me I'd have to wait 8 days for them to be built, and then shipped out. I got them within 3 days. Pretty cool. The other thing is that they all came in the original G5 boxes, not the brown ones that you normally get with refurbs. The machines themselves look like they were brand new, and perhaps were only opened up to check the packaging.

So, either these were open boxes (somebody bought them but returned them unused), or brand new stock, or simply they had a number of PMs that were refurbisjed already and ready to go.

Pretty chuffed, though.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2006, 09:26 AM

It's not an indicator of anytthing. There have been refurbed Dual 2.5 and 2.7 Gs in the US store for months. Quads showed up a few weeks back.

Stop seeing something when it is nothing.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

deaglecat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2006, 12:24 PM

Ah but the UK refurb store is different. They used to just open on a Weds and often sell out of the more desirable by the end of the day. But recently, they have been open every day for the past few weeks and the still haven't sold out.

I remember buying a 2nd Gen Ipod from this store just before the 3rd Gen came out. It was brand new.

I suspect that Apple use the refurb store to sell down stock as well as to clear out returns. Not long to wait now though !

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 26, 2006, 02:20 PM

Considering that the chips Apple wants to use in the Intel towers aren't coming out until the 4th quarter, yeah, there is plenty of time to wait.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

deaglecat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2006, 02:38 PM

if true, sad that the existing top of the range g5 lineup is getting so left behind....

P
Feb 26, 2006, 04:02 PM

In what way is it getting left behind? It's still the fastest, most expandable machines Apple sells.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2006, 06:17 PM

New PowerMacs are not coming Tuesday. The right chips may hit in Q2 (Sossaman w/ 64-bit) or Q3 (Kentsfield may be early, since Clovertown is reportedly ahead of schedule), but may not be available until Q4; either way, nothing is ready in Q1.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 04:56 PM

That's even later than I heard. At any rate, people are getting great deals on G5s
I've seen. 2.5s, 2.7s and even some DC machines. I still maintain that I want a
quad.

Kdog01
Feb 28, 2006, 06:46 PM

I personally can't wait much longer. I have really enjoyed my powerbook over the last year and a half since switching to apple, but I really want a powermac. A G5 would be nice, but being so close to new powermacs, I have to think they will come out by this summer.

shawmanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 06:59 PM

Wont conroe be used in powermacs before kentsfield. Looking at intel roadmaps conroe will be first of NGMA to release early Q3. Powermac with Conroe XE should be interesting.

Originally Posted by mduell
New PowerMacs are not coming Tuesday. The right chips may hit in Q2 (Sossaman w/ 64-bit) or Q3 (Kentsfield may be early, since Clovertown is reportedly ahead of schedule), but may not be available until Q4; either way, nothing is ready in Q1.

Steve's Sanity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 07:56 PM

Remember, everyone was clamoring for an Intel mini, and look at the result. It will be a sad day indeed when the Intel infection spreads to the tower line. Oh, and they won't be called Power Macs anymore, which is good because they'll just be glorified Intel PC. With the PPC thrown away, there's no more "Power"; Apple can never again have any possible lead whatsoever on PCs.
What happened to Steve's sanity? He took it out with the trash. . .

shawmanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Steve's Sanity
Remember, everyone was clamoring for an Intel mini, and look at the result. It will be a sad day indeed when the Intel infection spreads to the tower line. Oh, and they won't be called Power Macs anymore, which is good because they'll just be glorified Intel PC. With the PPC thrown away, there's no more "Power"; Apple can never again have any possible lead whatsoever on PCs.
I dont think current pentium 4 chips would match power processors, but NGMA is whole new ballgame. I think they will match and exceed current Power processors. Apple went with Intel bcos of NGMA and not bcos of current offerings.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 11:45 PM

They won't use Pentium IV chips - that is a dead end architecture.

They MUST have 64-bit and they MUST be equivalent or better than the
current systems to induce people to migrate.

And I certainly won't migrate until at least the third or fourth generation
anyway - my tower is still basically new.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2006, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by shawmanus
Wont conroe be used in powermacs before kentsfield. Looking at intel roadmaps conroe will be first of NGMA to release early Q3. Powermac with Conroe XE should be interesting.
Conroe is fine for the duals, but they need Kentsfield for a quad (since the SMP capable chips wont be out at launch).

shawmanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2006, 08:46 PM

Conroe is fine for the duals, but they need Kentsfield for a quad (since the SMP capable chips wont be out at launch).
Ok Thanks. So 2 conroes will not help. How about woodcrest. Since that is for workstation/servers wont a motherboard support 2 procs.

Eitherway its unlikely we will see kentsfield this year. Cloverton might make it end of this year, but like presler last year we wont see volume shipment until Q1. Kentsfield will make it after that. So Q1 2007 looks like earliest launch date.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by shawmanus
Ok Thanks. So 2 conroes will not help. How about woodcrest. Since that is for workstation/servers wont a motherboard support 2 procs.

Eitherway its unlikely we will see kentsfield this year. Cloverton might make it end of this year, but like presler last year we wont see volume shipment until Q1. Kentsfield will make it after that. So Q1 2007 looks like earliest launch date.
Woodcrest would work for a quad. What makes you think Cloverton will beat Kentsfield out the door? Historically the non-SMP chips have been out first.

shawmanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2006, 04:43 PM

Woodcrest would work for a quad. What makes you think Cloverton will beat Kentsfield out the door? Historically the non-SMP chips have been out first.
Intel needs Clovertown more than Kentsfield. So they will try to release Clovertown as soon as possible. But Conroe needs some time in the market before they release kentsfield.

Hey you could be right and kentsfield based systems will get released Q4. If it does I would love to pick one.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 11:06 PM

If there is an "omen" of a forthcoming PowerMac, it seems to me it is the coming 10.4.6. Since that seems to be coming in about 4-6 weeks, I would guess that we will see an Intel PM within 6 weeks. There doesn't seem to be any other compelling reason to get 10.4.6 out that fast otherwise.

yaro
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2006, 04:16 PM

Is there a hidden clue in 10.4.6 that herald the coming of the Towers?

P
Mar 4, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by WizOSX
If there is an "omen" of a forthcoming PowerMac, it seems to me it is the coming 10.4.6. Since that seems to be coming in about 4-6 weeks, I would guess that we will see an Intel PM within 6 weeks. There doesn't seem to be any other compelling reason to get 10.4.6 out that fast otherwise.
Could be any reason at all, really. Maybe the target for 10.4.6 isn't that challenging and they figure that's the time they need? Maybe they have a bunch of optimizations for the Intel macs that they want to get out? Maybe it's support for the Apple Pro apps?

Why release an Intel PM now, when absolutely NO Pro apps have been ported and the intended CPU isn't out yet? Even if all the rumors are true, and Sossaman includes all the 64-bit opcodes and arrives with an FSB of 1.33 GHz (unlikely, at best), the best choice for any Pro user today is a Powermac G5. Only after Conroe is relased does the equation even begin to change.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 11:06 AM

What I want to know is why the codenames for all of Intels new procesors are so absurd! They all sound so 'nature-ish'
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

rhashem
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
What I want to know is why the codenames for all of Intels new procesors are so absurd! They all sound so 'nature-ish'
All of Intel's processor codenames are geographical locations chosen by the team that designed the processor. Most of the "nature" sounding ones refer to places in the northwest United States, since the design team is in Portland, Oregon. Most of the "Bible" sounding ones (Yonah, Merom, Conroe), refer to places around Haifa, Israel, where the design team for those processors is based.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by P
Could be any reason at all, really. Maybe the target for 10.4.6 isn't that challenging and they figure that's the time they need?
True. I guess I was just saying that the date for 10.4.6 is probably a better indicator than the stock of refurbs.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by rhashem
All of Intel's processor codenames are geographical locations chosen by the team that designed the processor. Most of the "nature" sounding ones refer to places in the northwest United States, since the design team is in Portland, Oregon. Most of the "Bible" sounding ones (Yonah, Merom, Conroe), refer to places around Haifa, Israel, where the design team for those processors is based.
Then I wonder why they're using 'Tulsa' as the codename for their next Xeon chip. AFAIK, Intel doesn't have a presence anywhere near here.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

rhashem
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Then I wonder why they're using 'Tulsa' as the codename for their next Xeon chip. AFAIK, Intel doesn't have a presence anywhere near here.
There is an Intel design team in Austin, Texas, and there was a town in Texas in the '30s called Tulsa. Perhaps there is still some place there (not a city) that still bears the name.

P
Mar 6, 2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by rhashem
There is one team in India as well - some of the codenames are from around there - and one more in another part of the US that designs the Itanic CPUs. Some of the names are rather absurdly unspecific - remember Coppermine? - so I wonder if they don't just throw darts at a local map.

TAN: The initial names for all the Apple fonts with the first Mac were stops along a local train in Pennsylvania from where two of the developers used to live. It was later changed into major cities by Jobs, who liked to think big.

Windows versions are also named this way - Windows 95 was Chicago (prompting Apple to call System 7.5 Capone, from Chicago's greatest fear), and Windows XP was Whistler, from Whistler Mountain. The next version was supposed to be Blackcomb, but then they decided to do a half-way version and named it after a pub halfway between Whistler and Blackcomb - The Longhorn Pub.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 7, 2006, 02:55 PM

WWDC is August, so I'm guessing September for Intel Tower Macs.

P
Mar 8, 2006, 01:36 PM

Would fit with them using Conroe in it. If they decide on using Woodcrest (the server version) instead, it might be a little later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules