Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > problem with Apple Menu alias

problem with Apple Menu alias
wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2001, 11:42 PM

I put an alias of a HD partition with documents (no system folder) in the Apple Menu (I have 3 partitions on my HD). I found that the arrow next to an alias disappears and I cannot see a list of the folders and subfolders within this partition.

Interestingly, all other aliases in Apple Menu (applications, startup volume, etc.) are not affected. Only an alias of this particular partition where I keep all my documents is acting up.

I use 9.1 on iBook 500.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: wunderkind ]
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2001, 03:09 PM

The other aliases (applications, startup volume, etc.), are any of those to a complete partition too?

When trying to do the same on my 9.1, it works fine!?!

Peter

wunderkind  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2001, 03:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by peterthorn:
[QB]The other aliases (applications, startup volume, etc.), are any of those to a complete partition too?

Yes, my alias to a startup volume (system + applications) which is a different partition. This one has never acted up, unlike an alias to a partition where I keep documents.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2001, 05:47 PM

You could always go with BeHirechic (sp?) It lists all the volumes on the desktop by default and it works fine for me. Great replacement to the Apple Menu Items Control Panel. check versiontracker for a demo (shareware)

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Randycat2001
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2001, 08:50 PM

I've seen this behavior before. I haven't found any way to address it w/o simply checking it again after your next reboot. Does yours act normal again after a restart?
What's the deal with Star Wars severed limbs?

wunderkind  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2001, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Randycat2001:
<STRONG>I've seen this behavior before. I haven't found any way to address it w/o simply checking it again after your next reboot. Does yours act normal again after a restart?</STRONG>
Not after every restart. Then I just have to replace it with a "fresh" alias. Again I've never seen such things happen to Apple Menu, but the system I was using before was 8.6. Can it be a 9.1-specific bug?

Cipher13
Jul 19, 2001, 07:40 AM

I strongly second the suggestion to use BeHierarchic...
Its a great piece of software and one of the only ones that I allow on my System...

It will fix this problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules