Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > OS X 10.9.2 goes live with SSL fix, new FaceTime, Messages features

OS X 10.9.2 goes live with SSL fix, new FaceTime, Messages features
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 25, 2014, 02:46 PM

(Updated with Safari, security updates for Lion, Mountain Lion) Following a long beta-testing period, Apple has released the finished v10.9.2 update for owners of OS X Mavericks. The software primarily adds support for FaceTime audio calls in both the FaceTime app and Messages. The two apps have also gained contact blocking, allowing people to screen out individual users.

Though not mentioned in Apple's main release notes, the update also delivers a promised fix to an SSL vulnerabilty that was originally discovered in iOS. Mail fixes deal with inaccurate unread message counts, and email failing to download from some providers. AutoFill has been improved in Safari, and both Mail and Finder should have better VoiceOver navigation. Other solved glitches include audio distortions, VPN disconnections, and trouble connecting to file servers using SMB2.

Mac owners can download v10.9.2 via the Mac App Store's Software Update tab.

Update: Apple has also released matching Security Updates, both labeled 2014-001, for Lion and Mountain Lion.

Update 2: Apple has further released Safari 6.1.2 and 7.0.2, the latter of which is included in v10.9.2. Although full release notes aren't available, both updates fix a WebKit vulnerability that could be used to cause crashes or hijack a system. 6.1.2 can be downloaded via the Mac App Store in Mountain Lion, or Software Update in Lion.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 25, 2014 at 05:39 PM. )

GaryDeezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2014, 02:53 PM

Not showing up for me. Any, hey Apple: What about 10.8 and 10.7!!!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2014, 03:05 PM

I have a feeling this wasn't supposed to come out today. Due to the pressure on Apple, it might show signs of having been rushed out the door. But... can't be worse than the notorious unstable and buggy piece of shit that 10.9.0 was.

azrich
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2014, 03:21 PM

Hmm... no sound through my HDMI TV connected 2011 Mini. The only option is internal speakers (or an airplay option). Time to fight with the mini, repair permissions etc.

Also a 2011 iMac hung upon restart, but it likes to do that even before 10.9.2.

Any suggestions are welcome, I'll poke around on the inter webs.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2014, 03:24 PM

@GaryDeezy: relax. MacNN is a bit slow as usual.

Lion: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1727
Mountain Lion: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1729

Jeff75
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2014, 03:56 PM

Updated my MBP 17" a few minutes ago while at work - no problems. Used App Store app to perform the upgrade.
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2014, 06:31 PM

Wait a minute or so inside the App Store app, and it'll probably pop up. That's what happened with me.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2014, 12:48 AM

For the record, I had no significant issues with either stability or performance with Mavericks -- 10.9.0, 10.9.1 or this one (I did, however, do a clean install, which may have helped). I have seen firsthand that Mavericks Mail was a mess for Gmail and Exchange users, but much of that was apparently cleared up today. I don't use Gmail with Mail so I didn't see any issue other than the Smart Groups and Smart Mailboxes issues, which appear to be resolved.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules