Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Processor Cards

Processor Cards
Gecko
Dec 28, 2000, 03:24 PM

Does anyone know if a processor card from a 8500/8600 PowerMac will work in a PowerComputing PowerWave? I have an 8600 PowerMac that I upgraded, but now I am wondering if the 604/300 chip will work in the PowerComputing.

Thanks,
- Gecko

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2000, 12:06 PM

I'm afraid it won't. I think the 604/300 is a mach5 card, and that only works in 86/96 machines. At least, I've never seen any 604 over 250mhz run in a clone before.
Feel free to prove me wrong. Go to powerwatch.com for more info.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

McBrandon
Jan 8, 2001, 05:30 PM

I don't know if this is the proof you requested, but... :-)

I've swapped pro cards between 8600s and PowerTower Pro 225s at my workplace with no ill effects. Go fig. Also plugged a 500MHz G3 card into my oldoldOLD PowerCurve 601/120 without a hitch. Much faster--pro actually runs at 556MHz--but the system bus is a bit of a pain. Oh, well. Both the computer and the card were free, so who am I to complain? :-)

-Brandon

daryl duell
Jan 9, 2001, 08:27 PM

Druber is right, the 8600/300 card is a Mach V card, and it is one really picky processor card. It will work only in the 250Mhz and up 8600/9600 series macs. THose were the ones where Apple took the cache slot off the motherboard ad put it directly onto the processor card, kinda like the backside cache, but not quite. Lots of people have tried to put this one into the 73-600 series and not had any luck at all. I don't know which motherboard that the PowerWave had, but it is not likely to be compatible. The cards from the upgrade companies take the different baords into consideration, and allow for the different components, so they'll work in any slot that they'll fit into. When all else fails, you could try it. I don't think that it would cause any permanent damage to the PowerWave's mother board, but I'm not sure (and not going to be responsible). Sorry. But you could go the other way, leave the 8600 with it's original processor, and put the G3-4 (whatever you got) into the powerwave. Or you could be really generous and give me the 300Mhz card for my 8600/250

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2001, 09:49 PM

yeah, i don't remember hearing of a proc card that fried a mb or anything. machine usually don't start up.i'm not sure i'd advise it anyway. yeah, i'd say stick that other upgrade in the 'wave, unless you're giving it away and keeping the souped 8600
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

anyone
Jan 23, 2001, 07:00 AM

as long as the processor did not come from a kansas based motherbord 250,300,350 (inline cache models) it will work in a power wave that is a 7500 ish MB

Forum Links
Forum Rules