Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Problmes installing Mac OS 9.1 update

Problmes installing Mac OS 9.1 update
jme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2001, 01:42 AM

Hi!

I downloaded the 9.1 upgrade from Apple�s site. When I open the installer, it says "You must install it from the CD". I also downloaded the 9.04 updater from the same site and it worked. Any advice?

jme

Cipher13
May 7, 2001, 04:20 AM

My advice is don't update - I just downgraded.
The update is so troublesome - if you have a 9.1 CD, fine, but don't use the downloaded update... increases system errors and crashes enourmously over 9.04.

Cipher13

------------------
AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2001, 10:17 PM

hmmm.. I updated using the 9.1 download from 9.0.4 and didn't have any problems. 9.1 has been much more stable for me, and the finder is a bit faster. I would have to disagree with the advice to avoid 9.1, it's an excellent upgrade, however, it DOES have some incompatibilites with some apps. Search the forum for a thread that has all the conflicts (usually with older apps, or apps that haven't been updated).

I say go for it, but not untill you back up your hard drive (and back up a copy of your 9.0.4 system folder, in case you want to "downgrade" back to 9.0.4). It's probably a good idea to do a clean install of 9.0.4 first, but I didn't bother and my system is tip-top.

If you are considering buying OS X anytime soon, then don't bother, because X comes with a 9.1 CD. Otherwise, grab your balls and upgrade your OS!
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2001, 10:28 PM

Just to be sure, I'd do two things after the update:

1. Zap the pRAM.
2. Rebuild the desktop.

If you have Norton or Tech Tool then it wouldn't hurt to spiffy up your drive before doing the update...I suspect the reason for problems with many OS updates is that prior to the update there were problems with the volume structure and the update only exacerbates these problems.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

bottles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2001, 01:12 AM

Hi jme,

What computer model are you trying to upgrade? The downloadable version of 9.1 is not compatible with all Mac models. See Apple's TIL #106089.

bottles.

Forum Links
Forum Rules