Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any fly fishers around?

Any fly fishers around?
Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 06:29 AM

Just starting out and enjoying the hell out of it. I'm being offered an Orvis TLS Power Matrix 906-4 Fly Rod, second-hand but never used, for £200. Does any one have an opinion as to this rod's appropriateness for a beginner fishing mostly for trout in stocked ponds? I plan to move on to rivers/streams once i've got more skills.

I'd also be curious as to thoughts on decent reels and lines- not interesting in spending too much on them, but don't want crap either.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2010, 11:38 AM

For just fooling around with, that'll be a fine rod. To be honest though, the rod doesn't really matter as much as the quality of fly you have, and of course, if the fish actually want to eat. As far as lines go, you'll probably have to visit a local fishing store to get an idea of what you need with regards to weight, etc. They'll be able to recommend you the flies that work the best in whatever you're fishing at also. However, I've noticed that the generic river trout/rainbow trout that are stocked around here are addicted to anything colored orange. Shininess helps.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 04:39 PM

Well that's a bit worrying. I'm not happy to spend £200 for a rod that just fine for fooling around. Are there rods that you would recommend that are better value for money? £200 is pretty much my upper limit, however I'm quite happy to spend less.

Also- any thoughts on reels?

Thanks for the advice.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2010, 05:28 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant is that it's as good rod to learn with but also good to grow with if you find that you enjoy fly fishing. It's on the lower end, but it's something that you're gonna be able to get good with. I don't know what you can find in stock there in the UK, but here, Streamline brand rods are pretty good and affordable. That's what I have. My dad learned on it and then gave it to me. Link. I'm not really that knowledgeable about reels, to be honest.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 7, 2010, 05:55 PM

The closest I get to fly-fishing is Pat McManus books.

I prefer drowning nightcrawlers in my efforts to catch trout.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant is that it's as good rod to learn with but also good to grow with if you find that you enjoy fly fishing. It's on the lower end, but it's something that you're gonna be able to get good with. I don't know what you can find in stock there in the UK, but here, Streamline brand rods are pretty good and affordable. That's what I have. My dad learned on it and then gave it to me. Link. I'm not really that knowledgeable about reels, to be honest.
Cool thanks- I'm heading to an Orvis outlet over the weekend to see what they have. One thing that has me intrigued about the TLS is that it was made in the US as opposed to China like the the Streamline. In the grand scheme of things, it shouldn't matter much- it's not like my purchasing a second hand rod is going to make the slightest diff to reality- but it feels good.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
The closest I get to fly-fishing is Pat McManus books.

I prefer drowning nightcrawlers in my efforts to catch trout.
Fishing has never appealed to me really- I've only done it as an adult to do something with my son. But fly fishing has completely taken me in. There is so much skill required in every facet- it looks like a non-stop learning process. Even though I expect to spend the vast majority of my time fishing as opposed to catching, every cast is something to work on. Perhaps it's a bit like golf- that one good cast it like making that one good shot- and working towards it makes all those rotten casts worthwhile.

Forum Links
Forum Rules