Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail crashes every time I try to choose an attachment.

Mail crashes every time I try to choose an attachment.
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2010, 03:48 AM

Today Mail stopped accepting attachments.

The moment I pick a JPEG file to attach, the beach ball comes up and that's the end of it. Today I force quitted Mail about fifteen times and ended up dragging the files onto the message.

Should I delete Mail and download it again?

Is it enough to drag mail into the trash? (What happens with my stored messages?)

Thanks!

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2010, 03:52 AM

I see you can't just download Apple Mail from the web.

Do I have to get it from the Tiger install disc and then go through software update?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2010, 03:53 AM

What about when you do it the normal way - just dragging and dropping a pic into the email directly?

You can try "rebuilding Mailbox" from the Mailboxes menu. Do this for all inboxes and outboxes. As always, make sure you have a full backup, first.

Your emails are stored in /yourhomefolder/Library/Mail/.

As pretty much all other user data for any other Mac OS X application, they are completely unaffected by removing/re-installing the application itself.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2010, 09:57 AM

this happens to me occasionally; i CAN, however, drag an image (or whatever) directly in to an email (the problem only occurs when i choose "Attach" from the Mail menu... so, as Spheric Harlot says, above...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

-Q-
Oct 4, 2010, 10:39 AM

Is there a file share the finder is trying to mount when you try and use the file browser to select a file to attach? I'll run into the beachball occasionally when I've had a network drive drop off and the Finder is trying to access it.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2010, 12:08 AM

The drag and drop works, but when you mail out pictures to a lot of people, it's a bit a hassle with the windows.

Generally, my computer was the culprit.

I downloaded the security update and the Safari update afterwards, but I got the blue screen. Blue, and the cursor, and nothing else.

I turned off the computer with the power button, turned it back on, it booted, and downloaded the software.

Since then, Mail seems to be back to normal.

I hope that blue screen isn't as dreadful as it is in the Windows world.

Forum Links
Forum Rules