Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp Assistant: can't increase partition size

Boot Camp Assistant: can't increase partition size
ibook_steve
Dec 15, 2013, 11:55 PM

This is very odd. I'm trying to install Win 7 on my new rMBP. When I get to the step in the Boot Camp Assistant to set the Windows partition size, the slider maxes out at 84 GB. This is a 500 GB drive. I currently have 234 GB free on the drive according to the Finder. Why won't BCA let me get this up to 100 GB, where I want it?

Also strange: when the slider is at 84 GB for Windows (the max it will let me use), it says on the OS X side: "415 GB, 18 GB free". I don't understand where the space is going. Hidden restore partition?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ibook_steve  (op)
Dec 16, 2013, 12:48 AM

OK, I just noticed that Disk Utility is saying I have only 102 GB available and 397 GB used. Why is the Finder different from Disk Utility?

Steve

ibook_steve  (op)
Dec 16, 2013, 02:00 AM

Resolved! Just found out about "local snapshots" created by Time Machine. Toggling TM fixed it:

[Resolved] Disk Utility reporting less free space than Finder? - MacRumors Forums

You learn something new everyday, though this seems really stupid that it prevented me from partitioning.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules