Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Thinking about Blu-Ray plunge- advice?

Thinking about Blu-Ray plunge- advice?
Paco500
Professional Poster
May 3, 2010, 04:03 PM

So I'm thinking of finally jumping on the Blu-Ray bandwagon and had some questions:

-Is the PS3 still considered a top-quality BR player?

-What's the deal with region encoding? Can you strip it as on most DVD players? Can this be done on the PS3?

-Can someone recommend a decent, low cost BR player that can be region stripped? Thinking under £150 (~$200).

Thanks.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 3, 2010, 04:18 PM

I can answer your first question - YES, the PS3 is still considered a top-quality Blu-ray player. Plus, you have the added advantage of playing games, browsing the internet, streaming Netflix, etc. on it should you choose to in the future.

If I were in the market for a Blu-ray player, I'd buy a PS3.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 3, 2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
So I'm thinking of finally jumping on the Blu-Ray bandwagon and had some questions:

-Is the PS3 still considered a top-quality BR player?
Yes. Although I am sure there are some from Denon or similar that are about $1500 but still take 3x longer to start a disk.

One of the major advantages to the PS3 as it is a hugly overpowered BR player. It also handles tons of digital media from your Mac as well with on the fly conversion:

PS3 Media Server

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 3, 2010, 05:50 PM

Hasn't there been a recent PS3 update that broke everything third party?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2010, 05:51 PM

I'm in the middle of writing a blog post on this, I'll post it when I'm done.

Essentially, the PS3 kicks ass, but I haven't tested it against other standalone players in a long time. I can tell you that right now, it's a kickass BR player, and hasn't glitched on me once.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Arty50
Mac Elite
May 3, 2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Hasn't there been a recent PS3 update that broke everything third party?
Nope. The most recent update removed the ability to install Linux. DLNA support is still intact. So Playback, PlayOn, Netflix, etc. all work perfectly well on it still. PlayOn is rad btw, but it's currently Windows only. I run it via Parallels and like it a ton. I also really like Playback. Native Netflix support (aka. no disc needed) is also coming in a firmware update soon.

And on top of all that you get Blu-ray. The PS3 is really the only thing I'd consider right now.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 3, 2010, 06:06 PM

I bought a PS3 on Caigslist about 10 months ago for the sole purpose of playing BR discs. I got the PS3 (60gb), two new controllers, HDMI cable, BR Remote, and Madden 2009, all for $175.

I'll echo what has already been said, it makes an excellent BR player. I also use it to stream music videos from my MBP. Works great for everything I need it to do!
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 3, 2010, 06:39 PM

Oh but don't forget about the non-IR on the PS3 ordeal if it matters to you.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
May 3, 2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Oh but don't forget about the non-IR on the PS3 ordeal if it matters to you.
What's that?

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
May 3, 2010, 06:53 PM

What's that?
Never mind- just figured it out. No IR- that seems silly.

Can you control BR playback with the controller or do you need to by a separate remote?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 3, 2010, 06:54 PM

What's that?
The PS3 has no IR port so you can't use your TV remote or universal remote. Only bluetooth.

There are a ton of workarounds ranging to $7-90 though.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 3, 2010, 06:56 PM

Never mind- just figured it out. No IR- that seems silly.

Can you control BR playback with the controller or do you need to by a separate remote?
You can use the included remote or get the sony PS3 one for $20.

you can also get IR adapters for the USB port of $7 that do everything but power cycle and eject.

Or get this and do it all:
Harmony® Adapter for PLAYSTATION®3

You can also control it though many Sony TV's and iPhone IR adapters and software as well.

ghporter
Administrator
May 3, 2010, 08:30 PM

If you want to play PS games, maybe the PS3 is a good idea. I got a stand-alone BR player that I'm quite happy with-a Samsung BD-P1600. It upconverts standard DVDs, it runs every BR disc I've tried quickly and well, and it wasn't terribly expensive. Oh, and it comes with an IR remote too...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 3, 2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post

Or get this and do it all:
Harmony® Adapter for PLAYSTATION®3

You can also control it though many Sony TV's and iPhone IR adapters and software as well.
that harmony adapter was the best purchase I ever made for my PS3. Works a treat for allowing me full control with my Harmony One remote. highly recommended..

davidflas
Mac Elite
May 4, 2010, 10:33 PM

I bought one of the new "slim" PS3s in late December, as a Blu-Ray player the new ones are better than the old in that they have a more modern implementation of HDMI which allows them to stream all the latest surround sound formats. It gives up the hardware PS2 game support and memory card slots along with 2 usb port though. I love it, I stream Netflix and play the occasional game so, it's an all around solution for me.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2010, 12:28 AM

For most people I strongly recommend the PS3, it's a very nice player that will stay current with profile standards. I like it so much that I use one in our HT room upstairs. For my main home theater I use an Oppo BDP-83SE, it's the most badass universal player on Earth.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
May 5, 2010, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
For most people I strongly recommend the PS3, it's a very nice player that will stay current with profile standards. I like it so much that I use one in our HT room upstairs. For my main home theater I use an Oppo BDP-83SE, it's the most badass universal player on Earth.
Looks nice. Way more than I have any intention of paying. My "home theater" is a 32" LCD hung on the wall in a smallish and poorly (acoustically speaking) designed room. So why do I want Blu-Ray? Not really sure. I just do.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2010, 01:40 AM

There's also the less expensive non-SE Oppo BDP-83. It's very similar, only it's a little more mainstream. The thing is, the Oppo is a better player, no denying that, but for you a PS3 would be a better fit. It's even less expensive and does so much more. If you want to go even cheaper than the PS3 look into some entry Panasonic and Toshiba models.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules