Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > iTunes connects to AirTunes speakers, but won’t play

iTunes connects to AirTunes speakers, but won’t play
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 24, 2011, 07:46 AM

A few days ago, my AirTunes was working just fine, as it has been for the past six years.

Today, however, not so.

I can connect to the AirPort Express no problem; iTunes (10) sees the external speakers and can connect to them; but when I try actually playing a track, it just gives me this utterly useless message:

(Translation: “There was an error when connecting to the remote speakers Ekstern. Network connection terminated”)

No settings or anything has changed over these past few days.

I’ve rebooted the router (twice, actually), and even added a password to the speakers. iTunes immediately saw the change and asked for the password, but still no playing dice.

Any ideas?

(Plugging the speakers into the headphone jack on the front of the MP tower works fine—but it doesn’t work if I plug it into the line-out at the back of the tower, either … computer issue, rather than AirTunes issue?)

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 24, 2011, 07:48 AM

Rebooted which router-the Extreme or the Express. Reboot the one you haven't rebooted, and of course reboot the Mac. The line out jack not working makes this sound suspiciously like a computer issue rather than an AirPort or iTunes issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 24, 2011, 08:04 AM

^ There is no Extreme, only an Express.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 24, 2011, 08:19 AM

OK, how is your Express connected? Wirelessly direct from the MP? Have you rebooted the MP yet? I think I'd follow up on the "works on the headphone jack but not the line out jack" issue before digging deeply into a potential network issue. To start with, what are your Sound pref settings?

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 24, 2011, 08:32 AM

The Express isn’t really connected to anything. It makes a wireless network, which the MP connects to (though the MP gets its Internet connection directly from Ethernet, not over wifi). The speakers are connected to the APE via a single Monster Cable. There’s a printer connected to it (via USB), too, and that works fine as well.

Haven’t had rebooted the MP yet—will do so later when I’m back home. Gotta run right now.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 24, 2011, 08:37 AM

When you get home, first look at prefs (take a screen shot), then reboot and see what, if any, changes you see in either prefs or function.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 24, 2011, 10:45 AM

To start with, what are your Sound pref settings?
You mean just my settings in System Preferences -> Audio -> Audio out? Currently they’re are these:

(Obviously, I set it to Line Out when I tried with the cable in the Line Out jack)

Or are there other sound prefs you mean? I’d hardly call choosing an audio out channel to be ‘sound prefs’ (plural) …

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 24, 2011, 11:11 PM

The audio out channel is pretty much it. However, the options change depending on what the computer detects as being connected. If you plug the speakers into the line out jack, the computer should detect them (I think). On the other hand, using AirTunes allows you to select where the music output of iTunes goes, and this does not seem to be reflected in the Sound Prefs...

After a restart do ANY speakers play out of the Line Out jack?

Forum Links
Forum Rules