Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help me silence my fans!

Help me silence my fans!
ibook_steve
Feb 6, 2013, 07:31 PM

Fans in this 2010 MBP and my previous 2007 MBP have been the bane of my existence. I know I push my system sometimes, but naively (perhaps), I think that if the 4 cores usage percentage is low, my fans shouldn't be running at full speed.

My typical setup at work (where the fans bother me the most) is connected to an external display and running Parallels and Chrome. Granted Parallels is a CPU hog and Chrome is a memory hog and I can understand heating the CPUs and GPU up when I'm using them, but if I'm idle, my fans are still spinning. I've attached a Temperature Monitor snapshot.

Any suggestions? Do I just have to live with this? (I'm guessing yes)

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-02-06 at 3.22.26 PM.png (68.4 KB, 52 views)
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2013, 09:58 PM

ibook_steve  (op)
Feb 6, 2013, 10:24 PM

Is that really applicable to an MBP?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

P
Feb 7, 2013, 05:32 AM

I think you probably have to live with it, yes. Things are running rather hot from that screenshot. Not that things are going to burn out, but they will scorch your thighs if allowed to run any hotter. I'll repeat my perennial advice, though - clean those fan vents! They clog up with dust over time if the fans keep sucking. If the MBP is flat on a desk, it can also help to lift it an inch or so with a couple of erasers in the back.

You say 4 cores, but you don't actually have 4 cores - you have 2 cores with Hyperthreading. This means that if you have 2 cores loaded to max, the CPU is running flat out despite showing only 50% usage. This also means that it's probably a good idea to keep Parallels restricted to 2 cores.

There are stands with cooling fans included that you might consider. The idea is that the bigger fans in the cooling stand are quieter and help the included fans run slower, but I haven't tried them myself.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules