Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Thoughts on Amazon Fire TV?

Thoughts on Amazon Fire TV?
ibook_steve
Apr 2, 2014, 04:27 PM

Yet another streamer, but I don't see myself getting this one. I have Apple TV (720p version), a Roku 3, and a Chromecast. I barely, if ever, use the Chromecast.

This Fire TV feels a little like the Ouya, and that's not good.

Thoughts?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

P
Apr 3, 2014, 04:21 AM

Competition in this market can only be good, but I think it comes down to what sort of software you can install. If you can install XBMC or VLC or something to view whatever files you want, then I can see this working. Playing games on it is Meh - it will be ports of games that are already on Android, and it will be the usual batch of F2P garbage, but using a real controller is always nice.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2014, 04:58 AM

European market isn't as developed as the US for this stuff. Advantage is that you guys tend to do the beta testing. Since the Frogs hate both Google and Amazon, I wonder what someone like Illiad (owner of a pretty good ISP and mobile phone company) will come out with.

P
Apr 3, 2014, 06:56 AM

You don't have any video services in France? We have Netflix and HBO as streaming services with wide support, and a number of services where you have to download an app onto an iPad or similar. We also used to have Lovefilm, the company Amazon bought to build its streaming service in the UK and Germany, although the purchase meant that they closed down their operations in Scandinavia.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2014, 11:24 AM

Amazon Fire ? Meh.

There's nothing that isn't covered by my ATV and Roku.

Next, please.

-t

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
You don't have any video services in France? We have Netflix and HBO as streaming services with wide support, and a number of services where you have to download an app onto an iPad or similar. We also used to have Lovefilm, the company Amazon bought to build its streaming service in the UK and Germany, although the purchase meant that they closed down their operations in Scandinavia.
Yes, there are video streaming services in France. Each ISP has a video streaming service, but we don't have the Big Boys. May have something to do with these cultural protection laws(Netflix could launch in France on a technicality).

Forum Links
Forum Rules