Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Random Question: can you reduce scarring years after the injury?

Random Question: can you reduce scarring years after the injury?
willed
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2004, 10:36 AM

I was just wondering as I had my appendix taken out when I was about 3. Back then the incision must have been tiny but the scar grew with me, and it's now 4 or 5 inches long across the right hand side of my stomach. It doesn't really bother me that much, but can you pick up a magic cream from pharmacies to reduce the noticeability of this sort of scarring?

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2004, 10:44 AM

Yes, you can.

I was riding bike last summer, was hit by a car ... make a long story short I had to have 4 stitches above my right eyebrow; well I've been putting Johnson & Johnson Band-Aid ... scar healer/remover/whatever and it's going down.

There's lots of stuff out there. It will take a while for it to show up; but it'll slowly start.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2004, 10:45 AM

i don't know about that, but you could get it tattooed.

-r.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2004, 10:49 AM

a good plastic surgeon should be able to completely remove it. But like I always say, never go through a surgery you don't need.

But that would most definitely remove the scar. And I highly doubt any "creams" can remove scar-tissue that old.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 24, 2004, 12:50 PM

you can use liquid Vitamin E on it. not sure if it'll help with a scar that old, but it was recommended to a friend of mine after her chin was split open.

Mr. Bump
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2004, 01:21 PM

I read a while back that liquid silicone gel was good for healing scar tissue, even if is quite old (my wife had a ceasarian scar and was interested).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2004, 01:26 PM

I had a nasty scar on my leg, so I used a very fine grit sandpaper and Aloe/vitamin E jelly. I'd rub the area in a circular motion until it would get a little raw, then apply the jelly. Did this 2-3 times a week for a few months. Worked like a charm.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I had a nasty scar on my leg, so I used a very fine grit sandpaper and Aloe/vitamin E jelly. I'd rub the area in a circular motion until it would get a little raw, then apply the jelly. Did this 2-3 times a week for a few months. Worked like a charm.
HARDCORE

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2004, 04:36 PM

Laser (seem to be the answer for everything nowadays), or Mederma cream.

John A. Smith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2004, 04:38 PM

Yes, plastic surgery can reduce the appearance of a scar.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
you can use liquid Vitamin E on it. not sure if it'll help with a scar that old, but it was recommended to a friend of mine after her chin was split open.
I used liquid Schwartz on mine. Went away almost instantly

Or you can go for this: http://www.laserskinsurgery.com/trea...tic_scars.html

It would be the best solution dermatologists know of.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Cipher13
Feb 24, 2004, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I used liquid Schwartz on mine. Went away almost instantly
<snip>

May the schwartz be with you...

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by willed:
I was just wondering as I had my appendix taken out when I was about 3. Back then the incision must have been tiny but the scar grew with me, and it's now 4 or 5 inches long across the right hand side of my stomach. It doesn't really bother me that much, but can you pick up a magic cream from pharmacies to reduce the noticeability of this sort of scarring?
Use Mederma. It is recommended by cosmetic surgeons, and works on fresh scars and old scars. The older the scar, the longer it takes to work, and at around $30 for a 1.76 oz tube, it could get pricey.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules