Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari bookmark management

Safari bookmark management
vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2010, 03:15 PM

Awhile back, Cult of Mac posted an article about managing bookmarks in Safari. I was moved enough to leave this reply in comments, but never got a response:

"I personally still use the Bookmark Menu for long term storage and the Bar for sites I read or reference daily (being able to hit Command+3 for Google Maps or Command+4 for Wikipedia is now an ingrained habit).

What I’ve never been able to understand is why there’s no way to alphabetize the links within folders through Safari. In Windows, you right click, and there’s a “sort by name” function in the contextual menu. I’ve not found anything like that in Safari.

Having to sort hundreds of links manually by hand is a royal pain (I’ve resorted to transferring them to a folder, sorting it in Finder, and transferring them back into Safari, but this seems a really inefficient way to do it.)

Am I missing something?"

Am I?

ooninay
Apr 28, 2010, 12:09 AM

I don't think you're missing anything. As far as I know it's not possible to sort bookmarks automatically in Safari. Maybe there's an add-on that will do this for you but why they don't include it in Safari itself is beyond me, especially when other browsers have it. It's only a minor irritant to me because I don't have nearly as many bookmarks as you, but as you get into the hundreds I can see how annoying it would be to have to arrange them all manually.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by vcutag View Post
Having to sort hundreds of links manually by hand is a royal pain (I’ve resorted to transferring them to a folder, sorting it in Finder, and transferring them back into Safari, but this seems a really inefficient way to do it.)

Am I missing something?"

Am I?
That's one of the reasons I gave up on Safari and run iCab instead. Open any given folder of bookmarks, clic on 'Name' and they are already sorted. Also, you can add comments, notes, keywords to every bookmark which is an amazing way to find 'that agency that did some great work for BP back in the day'.

iCab is WebKit based, so you're not going to miss Safari's beautiful rendering engine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules