Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Seagate LP series

Seagate LP series
indigoimac
Senior User
Mar 8, 2010, 08:51 PM

Anyone have any experience with these? I am looking at the 1.5TB 5900RPM model which seems to be quite well priced on newegg, but the reviews seem split as to great or doa.

Thanks!

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda LP ST31500541AS 1.5TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2010, 11:46 PM

That DOA/negative review rate is pretty high. I'd expect good throughput, slow seeks.

I'm a fan of the $149 2TB 7200RPM Hitachi.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by indigoimac View Post
Anyone have any experience with these? I am looking at the 1.5TB 5900RPM model which seems to be quite well priced on newegg, but the reviews seem split as to great or doa.
If you're looking for a quiet and inexpensive low-power drive it's fine. But if you're looking for performance you shouldn't be getting this drive. IOW is it for everyday work or just for backing up and/or media storage?

If you're going to be using the drive heavily on a regular basis and performance is important, the drive mduell mentioned above would be a better choice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules