Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Taking bets...How many negative posts when new Powermacs debut?

Taking bets...How many negative posts when new Powermacs debut?
Stanley K
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 04:00 PM

Sarcasm? Yes.

Compiling the most common complaints here is the top ten negative posts topics we'll see when the new Powermacs are unleashed:

Why such an ugly case?
Why only one full size optical drive bay?
Why is Apple still calling the G4 a supercomputer?
Why does Apple still do business with Moto?
Why no quad prcessors?
Why no Firewire 2?
Why only DDR 266?
Why no faster system bus?
Why does Apple still charge $3,ooo?
Why don't we have the G5 yet?

On the serious note I think that in addition to whatever clock speed bump there may also be a significant increase in cache size too. 4MB of L3 per chip running at full CPU speed would go along way.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2002, 06:15 PM

It is to be expected. Everyone bitches when new stuff comes out. Just read forums about 17" iMac or .Mac
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2002, 07:05 PM

Yea, thats to be expected. You can't please everyone. DDR and and rest of the rumored spec's sound tasty though, I won't be complaining

Hinson
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2002, 08:44 PM

I may have a better question: What deficiencies could the new Macs have that would truly, positively qualify them for deserved ridicule?

For example, what if the new Macs are only speed bumps with no real motherboard changes or graphics improvements or anything else? THAT would undeniably deserve ridicule in my book!

Anyone else?

-Jay

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2002, 10:04 PM

I will only ridicuel if to unify the whole line more the Power Mac's name is changed to the pMac.
then I'll point and giggle like a grade 3 kid

That or if all you people waiting for 1.4 Ghz get like 1.2 and Steve says "hey it matchs the OS!" and then you have to get dual 1.2s, they decide to charge for it!
cuase the entire Mac community will be sooooo pissed if apple charges for something!
ahah

then again they could always call it the .Power .Mac
hehehe

then I'd ridicuel you.
or if instead of new power macs, they released 17 inch Cases!
Or if they tried to play down the lack of new Tower Improvements by talking about Rendevous for an entire press release.

Or if not only can you not boot into OS 9,m but no OS X either, and you have to buy OS X server or run linux.

Or if Steve gets up and says the new Power Macs will display that old iMac garb that was oh so POPULAR, and releases the new Flower Power Mac.
Yeah the Flower Power Mac would be the tops for me, since I've got a 333Mhz Rev D, so I'm bitter that you all have money.
hehe

It'd be reallyg reat if a Flower Power Mac had like 2Ghz G4s cause then you'd all be like... I think I'll put it in my quick silver case.. or hide it under my desk.
hehehe

The Flower Power Studio Display might be fun too.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2002, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Hinson:
I may have a better question: What deficiencies could the new Macs have that would truly, positively qualify them for deserved ridicule?

For example, what if the new Macs are only speed bumps with no real motherboard changes or graphics improvements or anything else? THAT would undeniably deserve ridicule in my book!

Anyone else?

-Jay
I agree with you there. While some people will praise a $1600 PM to the heavens it is not worth that price in terms of performance. Many people rely on Macs to make money, when they buy an upgrade they want it to be something that really increases their throughput or enhances workflow or anything that can show some decent return on the investment. Apple can't tell a Photoshoppie, Quark junkie, or Lightwave guru their products will get their work done any faster or more efficiently than their competitors will. In fact in many cases they get work done more slowly. A stylish case doesn't raster EPS files faster than an ugly beige case. They're get quite a bashing if they don't add a little something to the umph of their systems come the next revision.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 9, 2002, 11:24 PM

Honestly, I don't care, because I'll be there to lock em if they are pure whining threads

Just like I'm locking this one
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules