Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.5 - Three Kernal Panics in two hours

10.2.5 - Three Kernal Panics in two hours (Page 2)
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by midwinter:
WTF?! I can't downgrade the OS??? How do I go back to 10.2.4??
A reinstall is the only solution I think...

Marc

Goldie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2003, 01:49 PM

Archive and Install to preserve user and network settings and install 10.2.4 combo updater and see if the kernal panics persist.

Mine didn't.

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Hemi425:

blixa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2003, 03:10 PM

Hm. When I first updated to 10.2.5, I had a KP on wake, and then another in the beginning of the bootup sequence. It's been fine since then, but now, every time the machine wakes from sleep, bluetooth is set to 'off' (the bluetooth symbol in the menu bar is greyed out). I've never seen this before -- it's either on or there's the squiggly line through the bluetooth icon, indicating it doesn't find a bluetooth transciever. The only way to fix it, as far as i can tell, is to unplug and re-plug the bluetooth transciever.

Anyone else seeing this?

pat++
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by midwinter:
WTF?! I can't downgrade the OS??? How do I go back to 10.2.4??
Reinstall OS X with Archive & Install option.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 05:22 PM

Well, jeebus.

I disconnected the hubs attached to my G4, and now there's no KP anymore. What a damned pain. Thanks, Apple! Didn't you check 10.2.5 with, you know, a HUB ATTACHED?

I'm trying to remember, will the archive and install function reformat my hard drive?

makkystyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2003, 06:41 PM

guess apple doesn't like griffin too much.... on another note, I like that people are posting that they don't have problems because it lets readers know that this problem doesn't happen to everybody. If I only read that people were having problems I'd never upgrade!!!

fats277  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 06:49 PM

I disabled screensaving, and unhooked my Zio card reader, and I haven't had a KP since. I have a griffin hub, and that's still hooked up.

murk
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 08:02 PM

Still no kernel panics with the Powermate unplugged. I'm pretty sure the Powermate is not the real problem, however. It's just part of the combination. Today my computer woke from sleep and gave the message that a USB device was drawing too much power and the that port would be shut down. I was too stupid to check which port was shut down and just restarted.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2003, 08:42 PM

No problems here.

iBook 800MHz
Epson C42ux
"Computer Name" screen saver

mrcorwin
Apr 14, 2003, 09:14 AM

I had the KP problem as well but I replaced the IOUSBFamily.kext file from 10.2.4 and all of my KP's have disapeared!

I have not found any problems with games or my limited number of usb devices so I think it worked!

P
Apr 14, 2003, 12:09 PM

My 10.2.5 has been rock solid, and I have a USB hub. Ah well, I guess you could all sleep under 10.2, right?

If you're having problems, read Macintouch's report on the subject, they seem to have a solution (though I was too lazy to check what it was...):

http://www.macintouch.com/mosxreader10.2pt60.html#apr14

boardsurfer
Apr 14, 2003, 06:33 PM

might as well chime in. iMac 800 17" 768MB Ram. has an epson printer and a Sony Clie Cradle hooked to stock usb. No KP as of yet.

iMac dvse 500, 384MB Ram. USB Palm cable for my wifes Palm Vx and a firewire burner. KP upon start-up, every time. Works fine with no peripherals.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Apr 15, 2003, 02:09 PM

If you're interested in trying to diagnose kernel panics, or would like to understand them better, this tech note's for you:

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2063.html
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 09:12 AM

Apple has posted a kbase article on the problem:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25440

Hopefully they'll get it resolved here shortly. I'm getting tired of having to duck under my desk to plug in my other USB peripherals.

Cheers
Scott

danielav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2003, 05:24 PM

I too had kp errors, unplugging my DLink usb hub seems to have solved the issue. However this is a huge inconvinence. I am the one at my company trying to upgrade all the computers to os X. Working in TV with harsh deadlines makes that hard with all these issues we are having to overcome. Apple should really try to test there updates thouroghly before posting them. I hope this usb issue will be solved soon, and before panther so we don't have to pay for it!

PS: I don't have any issues with the screensavers, they come on and go off just fine.
( Last edited by danielav; Apr 17, 2003 at 05:29 PM. )

midwinter
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2003, 10:20 PM

Well, I got tired of waiting on Apple and tried to downgrade my USBfamily.kext to the 10.2.4 version using pacifist (which is a cool program). I extracted the extension to the proper folder, repaired the disk permissions, and then restarted. No dice. Spinning progress wheel of death. Forever.

I booted to the Jaguar CD and ran the repair disk permissions utility. Still no dice.

I wound up reinstalling Jaguar using archive and install and combo-updating to 10.2.4, and all is well.

BTW, for those of you wary about the archive & install option, it was completely flawless. I'd never done it before, and, after telling it to import my setting and home directory, my fresh install booted up to my original desktop, complete with all files and folders on it, as well as everything in my home directory where it ought to be.

Took 2 hours and I'm back in business.

If only it hadn't taken me 4 hours to realize that the hub to which my printer is attached had come unplugged, I wouldn't have wasted all that time downloading drivers. Heh.

Cheers
Scott

iamnid
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 06:44 PM

ARGGH! Damn you Apple. I had 5 kernel panics in the last 10 minutes until I read this thread telling me to unplug my usb hub. Uhhh apple... kinda need that update!

Goldie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 07:05 PM

Apple is aware of the problem now and they are pretty good about resolving them in a timely manner. I'm sure we will see one soon.

Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2003, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by Rangers4me:
I can't even boot up with OS X.2.5. I installed it and now it won't boot (even after reinstallation).
By any chance are you running on a drive with 2 partitions? OS X can't be installed on a partition bigger than some size, I forget what that size is (or something very similar to that).

Before Jaguar came out, I was running 10.1 off a 220 GB partition, with about an 8 GB swap partition (for virtual memory).. boths swaps on the same drive (well, actually 2 drives, on hardware RAID card.. but the system sees it as just a single drive).

Anyways, I installed Jaguar, and it got stuck on this blue screen for the longest time, I don't remember, but I might have actually finished the installation, but I was not able to boot from that drive.

So, I had to install to the 8 GB partition (I have other drives, but they are not nearly as fast as the RAID array).. I barely have any room on it now, waiting to get another 2 200 GB drives for another RAID. Grr.. then I will put the OS on that.

So, anyways, it may be a problem with partitions and sizes... if you have a smaller partition, or another partition on that drive, stick it on that.

tap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 08:15 AM

Ive had frequent KPs and apps just quitting on me with no warning.
This happened in vers 10.2.3,then upgraded to 10.2.4 and still no better.
rendering in aeffects is a nightmare - just quits,but dont thinks its the apps.
no usb devices attached, all firewire(except for mouse/keybrd) lacie dvdwriter
and ipod.internet network is ethernet 100mbit 4 duplex.
our IT here suggests if we could trash the usb modual but then obviously my keybrd dosent work
10.2.5 seems to have a whole new set of probs or should I upgrade
and use the bug fix?
havent got a kernal bug report as yet bcause it hasnt kpd today (typical)

hardware consists of
powermac G4(ver3.2)
1.250Ghz dual
1 gig ram
(2x 256,1x512)

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2003, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by makkystyle:
on another note, I like that people are posting that they don't have problems because it lets readers know that this problem doesn't happen to everybody. If I only read that people were having problems I'd never upgrade!!!
That's why convention wisdom says to wait before upgrading. That way issues and bugs can be discovered and corrected before you dive into such an upgrade with little or no recourse. I usually wait at least a week before installing system updates of this nature to read reports like this and get a sense of the stability of the update. Thanks largely to this thread, I've passed on the 10.2.5 update for now. I'll wait until Apple corrects the USB issue before deploying it here.

tap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 10:44 AM

sorry to bore anyone.....this is from a kernal panic log I found

Thu Apr 10 11:46:06 2003

panic(cpu 0): lockmgr: non-zero exclusive count
Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
Backtrace:
0x00084FAC 0x000853DC 0x00027FA8 0x001DE1DC 0x000BE4AC 0x000B2F80 0x001BF524 0x000B6714
0x0020E59C 0x00092110 0x00000000
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x1DAA2780)
PC=0x9001078C; MSR=0x0000D030; DAR=0xE09DA000; DSISR=0x42000000; LR=0x9000FA6C; R1=0xBFFFF7E0; XCP=0x00000030 (0xC00 - System call)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 6.4:
Wed Jan 29 18:50:42 PST 2003; root:xnu/xnu-344.26.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

and an apps panic

Date/Time: 2003-04-11 17:46:49 -0700
OS Version: 10.2.4 (Build 6I32)
Host: kev-mosss-Computer.local.

Command: Adobe After Effects 5.5
PID: 389

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x3e0c9603

simonjames
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 10:46 PM

I was getting KPs every 10 minutes!

G4 400 with 512 RAM
M$ natural keyboard pro
M$ intelliexplorer mouse
HP printer
all other USB devices unplugged
no 3rd party themes or add-ons

Too many KPs so I reloaded 10.2 and now the whole thing is screwed. The M$ preferences won't load and worst of all Stuffit says it wants a new engine and I can't download it from Aladdin's site - the d/l just doesn't start.

10.2.5 is the worst piece of $hite I've every had the misfortune of installing.

though my mother's flat panel iMac is doing just fine - a couple of initial probs with Norton but sweet after they were fixed.

And I have repaired the permissions using disk utility.

Anyone have the KP solution? Any way to report this to Apple?
this sig intentionally left blank

midwinter
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 10:53 PM

Do an archive and install of 10.2 and import your home folders. Then upgrade back to 10.2.4

Rumor is that 10.2.6 will fix the issue.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 11:35 PM

forgive me if I sound thick but what do you mean by 'import your home folders'?
this sig intentionally left blank

midwinter
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
forgive me if I sound thick but what do you mean by 'import your home folders'?
In the archive and install process there's an option to import your home folders. Basically, it'll reinstall the OS and import all of your settings, documents, movies, music, preferences, etc. It's really quite brilliant. Downgrading to 10.2.4 was utterly painless because of this option. I only had to reinstall a couple of applications, even.

Forum Links
Forum Rules