Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Clearing software update??

Clearing software update??
Goldie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2003, 01:58 PM

Probable dumbass question. Is there any way to clear the software that shows up in the update panel of sys prefs?

I don't want anyone in the household to install the 10.2.5 update. Even though I have thoroughly and repeated told everyone not to install it, it will probably happen eventually. I can hear it now... "It wasn't me".

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 02:06 PM

Why don't you want it intalled ? AFAIK there is no way of doing that.

Goldie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2003, 02:14 PM

Until I find a solution to the kernel panic problem, or if a fix is implemented, I need to use my computer and can't with 10.2.5

dawho9
Senior User
Apr 13, 2003, 02:15 PM

Under the update menu - choose make inactive. Then it won't show up anymore.

dw9

Goldie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2003, 02:33 PM

Great, but, update menu? I'm not following or my brain is clouded from frustration.

dawho9
Senior User
Apr 13, 2003, 03:59 PM

Actually, let it find the new software available. Then when it launches the actual software update program, there is an update menu that you can choose "make inactive" and then the programs will disappear.

Once you want to install again - go back to the update menu and choose "show inactive updates". I always put things like the iPod updates and stuff like that in there, as I do not own one.

dw9

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2003, 04:19 PM

You can also uncheck the "Automatically check for updates [...]" box, which would mean that installing updates would require more concious effort on the parts of those in your household.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2003, 04:27 PM

Dont you need an admin password to install stuff anyway? In which case, would make sense if only one person has it..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2003, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Dont you need an admin password to install stuff anyway? In which case, would make sense if only one person has it..
Exactly. That is the best way to protect your system.

And it seems that you work (means: earn money) with your computer. How can you be sure that nobody deletes any files accidently? To avoid this, a multi-user setup is pretty handsome...

Goldie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2003, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, multi-user would make the most sense. Unfortunately it would take a day and a half to explain why I cannot do that . All of my important programs are protected.

I need another computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules