Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I only want ONE Safari window!

I only want ONE Safari window!
jac
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2003, 07:50 AM

It seems natural to me that a browser with tabs should at least have the option to only open new tabs instead of new windows when clicking links that prompt new windows. As it is now I almost always have multiple Safari windows open. I'd much rather have 1 window with several tabs?

Am I missing something; is this possible?

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Sep 7, 2003, 08:26 AM

Second click, open link in new tab. I know there is a feature like that for Mozilla, not sure for safari.

VEGAN
Senior User
Sep 7, 2003, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
Second click, open link in new tab. I know there is a feature like that for Mozilla, not sure for safari.
Safari too.

jac  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2003, 08:35 AM

Yeah, that works if you want a new tab, but my problem is with pages that automatically open new windows when you click a link (like the news links on macworld.com). It's not that I necessarily want a new tab, but when the link causes a new window to pop up, I'd much rather have it in a new tab.

cblueorg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2003, 09:21 AM

Command-clic the link.

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2003, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by cblueorg:
Command-clic the link.
That's fine if you know it will open a new window, (which you can tell by reading the status bar, which isn't shown as default) But I agree with the original poster, an option for new window to always be new tab would be great.

PS what is "second click?"
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2003, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by spauldingg:
PS what is "second click?"
Second click is probably referring to 'command + click' or right-clicking on a link, where the second menu item is 'Open Link in New Tab'.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

version
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2003, 11:31 AM

If you have a 3-button mouse, or scroll-wheel, pressing the middle thingy will open the link in a new tab, really handy feature.
A Jew with a view.

fiddler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2003, 11:51 AM

This has annoyed me as well. There should be an option to ALWAYS open links that would normally open in a new window in a new tab instead. Reading the status bar to see what kind of link you're about to click isn't terribly convenient. And no, I'm not going to indiscriminately middle click (control click) every link I want to see. I hate clutter.

Goldie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by version:
If you have a 3-button mouse, or scroll-wheel, pressing the middle thingy will open the link in a new tab, really handy feature.
I was not aware of this...very handy indeed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules