Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Wireless keyboard Question

Apple Wireless keyboard Question
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 01:30 PM

So what's the verdict on the new wireless keyboard and mouse from Apple. I'm interested in the keyboard since it takes regular batteries how long do they last. The keyboard makes no mention of usb ports, so I'm assuming there's none.

Opinions, thoughts, recomendations?
Mike

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 03:39 PM

definately no usb ports, from what I hear it should last months (thats what similar keyboards last) just remember to turn it off when its not in use.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2003, 03:57 PM

can anyone comment on the real-world range of the keyboard? I'd like to use it as a (giant) remote, like from the couch. And after seeing the Airport in action, I'm dubious of Apple's claims of the range of their wireless products. And no other wireless keyboard I've seen claims even half the range Apple does for theirs. Anyway, can someone do a test? also, I would be using a USB bluetooth adapter, so any reports should also mention if they have built-in or usb or what for that

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 10:57 PM

if you don't turn off the keyboard/mouse, does it waste THAT much battery power?

the turning off/on of the keyboard/mouse would be annoying

fado
Oct 8, 2003, 02:25 AM

Yes, the Keyboard can operate from a distance... I have worked about twenty-five feet away from the computer which was projected onto a large screen easily.

Perform a search on the wireless keyboard because a review was done last month by many uses uncluding myself.

Goldie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 02:28 PM

Range is good, works really well. But the one thing that sucks about it is this.

Let's say you need to startup from a cd, forget about using the bt keyboard. It doesn't engage until the os boots up. So you need to keep your original close by in case of any problems.

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 01:15 AM

if u buy a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse...will the Microsoft Bluetooth adapter work with the Apple Keyboard? Or does only the D-Link adapter work with the Apple keyboard?

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 11:53 AM

wireless keyboard=dumbest idea evar

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2003, 02:40 PM

fado, Goldie: thanks, good to hear.

Axo1to1: care to elaborate? personal experience? or sour grapes? I'm not questioning your credentials...but...I can't think of a way to finish this sentence.

pketelaar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
if u buy a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse...will the Microsoft Bluetooth adapter work with the Apple Keyboard? Or does only the D-Link adapter work with the Apple keyboard?

yes that works. i have it on my g4 tower at home, and its cheaper. its only the original d-link adaptor with the issues.

pk

Norty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 03:29 PM

I like not having wires on my desktop. I don't, however, like the fact that it takes a little time for the computer to recognize the wireless keyboard and mouse. And, when the computer goes to sleep moving the mouse or hitting the keyboard doesn't wake the computer up. I have to touch the comuter on button to get it to wake. Am I just missing something? I just got my Dual2GHZ a few days ago...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2003, 06:47 PM

I tend to agree that wireless mice and keyboards are a solution to a non-existent problem (at least for most people). The extra annoyance of having to remember to turn them on and off and to replace batteries outweighs (for me anyway) any added convenience they might give you.

Ruffcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 07:13 AM

I really like my wireless keyboard and mouse (which I run with a 15" powerbook and 17" studio display).

I have a really small desk and the wireless system means less clutter - and heaven knows there's already enough clutter with books and papers.

If I'd a bigger work area I probably wouldn't have bothered with wireless - however, it is a useful solution for me. And, both keyboard and mouse work really well!

Ruffcat
( Last edited by Ruffcat; Oct 14, 2003 at 07:26 AM. )

Norty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 11:00 AM

Again, what's the deal with the G5 in sleep mode and the wireless keyboard and mouse? Do I just have to always hit the power button to wake the computer up?

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Oct 16, 2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Dace:
I have tried this too and it works just fine with both the mouse and keyboard.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

djjava
Senior User
Oct 16, 2003, 11:31 AM

my Q on the Bluetooth KB revolves around an issue with my logitech usb wirelss kb...

When i am DLing images frmo my digital camera, my logitech wirless keyboard is very unresponsive, and i have to use the keyboard in the powerbook.

Does this happen with the Bluetooth KB????
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
wireless keyboard=dumbest idea evar
Well I want one becaue the way I have my PB setup. Its closed and underneath my cinema display. The keyboard wire blocks the cd/dvd drive. With a wireless keyboard I have more freedom to move it around, it does not obstruct anyhting and increases my efficiency. With all that said how is it the dumbest idea ever?

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules