Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bluetooth vs Wireless

Bluetooth vs Wireless
Bilemshious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2004, 01:10 PM

(yes i know both are wireless, but i think you know what i mean) i've looked at both and i really want a bluetooth mouse for my al powerbook, but they just seem so freakin expensive! are they worth it or should i just stick with a regular wireless mouse?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2004, 01:28 PM

The choice you are making is Bluetooth versus plain RF (radio frequency). If you get a Bluetooth mouse, it will just work with your Powerbook. If you get the RF mouse, you'll have to plug a receiver into your USB port and may or may not have to install drivers. Part of the appeal of a Powerbook is that nearly everything is built-in. I don't think you really want to carry a receiver in addition to a mouse.

As for cost, Apple's bluetooth mouse is $69. I think it's worth it.

Chris

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Bilemshious:
(yes i know both are wireless, but i think you know what i mean) i've looked at both and i really want a bluetooth mouse for my al powerbook, but they just seem so freakin expensive! are they worth it or should i just stick with a regular wireless mouse?
When you say a "regular wireless mouse" do you mean an infrared mouse? You didn't specify. If so then a bluetooth mouse is definitely worth the money since it requires no additional hardware on the Mac as an infrared mouse would. Via an infrared adaptor attached to the USB port to receive signal from the mouse.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

deTaNg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2004, 06:02 PM

I'd definitely say go Bluetooth. You'd have to most likely buy a small Bluetooth USB emitter if you don't have Bluetooth built in (most likely you do, since you have an Aluminum PB). Other types of mouses generally use Radio Frequency (more suspectible to interference, *still good though) or Infrared (very pass� technology, where you'd have to aim the mouse at a receiver's line of view to have it work).

Personally I have both the radio and Bluetooth mice. All Logitech. Bluetooth being the newest tech they've come out with.

Good Luck

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2004, 12:56 AM

Both are very good if you're just using your PB as a desktop replacement, but if you're on the goe bluetooth is where it's at. Carrying a base station around with you for an IR mouse is even worse than a wired mouse.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 08:58 AM

bluetooth.
and check out the macally mouse, or the kensington; 2 buttons & a scroll wheel (vs apple's stubborn one-button mouse)

no usb dongle to carry (or see...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules