Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mighty Mouse = User interface nightmare

Mighty Mouse = User interface nightmare (Page 4)
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2005, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by james9490
EXCELLENT review. I finally found one reasonable person in this forum.
No, you finally found someone on this forum who agrees with your views on the Mighty Mouse and doesn't think you're an idiot for presenting them the way you did. Not quite the same thing. In fact, by a slight stretch, it might be said to be closer to the opposite (no offense to you, Gorn).

I tell you the truth: Mighty Mouse is a failure.
No, you tell us your truth, not the truth. If the sales numbers of the Mighty Mouse keep up, and Apple make money off it (we do not know this yet, as the product is only a few weeks old), the truth is that it is not a failure, since it will have fulfilled its main objective.

You might not be satisfied with the Mighty Mouse, but that does not unequivocally make it a failure. Similarly, I am not quite satisfied with you, but that does not make you a complete failure, either; it simply makes you someone who I am not quite satisfied with.

Warung
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 03:45 AM

It's stupid that there are so many different browsers with different rendering behaviors for each browser. Things would be a lot more simplified if we have to design for just one browser (Safari).
fix0red. ™

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Aug 20, 2005, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
No, you stupid douche that isn't the correct train of thought at all.
You really didn't understand any of that did you? ... You moron.
I really have to stop reading this thread - my brain can't take agreeing with CO more than once every 6-9 months. If it just wasn't so damn funny ...

I'm beginning to think that in reality, james9490 is a newly developed comedy bot that was unleashed by demonhood to liven up the Lounge. Well done, we're having a blast!!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín
it simply makes you someone who I am not quite satisfied with.
Calm down, Oisín. No one is worth making grammatical errors like these.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
[IMG]holyshit wrong forum[/IMG]

-t
that was funny don't know why
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2005, 12:52 PM

Objection: Windows is NOT insecure. Vast majority of Windows security "flaws" come from simple user errors. Have you installed anti-virus software? Have you updated it? Have you scanned your system for spyware? Is Windows Firewall set up properly so all ports are closed down? It takes hell of a lot more effort to break in an average Windows machine than to steal a bunch of credit card receipts from a cash register.

In the mean time look at Apple. They aren't any better. A series of Security Updates have been released, and yet the thing is still not 100% secure. I bet they will find 1,000 more security flows and keep patching those every month until it's time for them to milk their customers again with OS X 10.5.
DUDE nice thing 'bout the Mac - don't have to freaking bother with all that junk. Just load it up, go wherever you want.800 posts too!
( Last edited by ryaxnb; Aug 20, 2005 at 01:29 PM. )
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2005, 01:26 PM

Being curious I just checked his web site and I am appalled by Password Master's UI design. It doesn't use column view for different categories, and I could see at least dozen flaws in the UI implementation. I can find at least 10 password manager software that are better than his stuff. And you tell me he is an expert? Mac market must be really gracious or something.

Actually, Mac land tends to be a bunch of fans who are so afraid of small market share and developers leaving the platform they can't safely criticize bad design. So it's easier to sell poorly designed products at a higher price point.
Stop profiling us you *********. Excuse the insult you anger me. Now anyway, no more posting in this thread for me. Your ridiculous accusations (one browser?!?) are too much for me.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 01:32 PM

I just noticed that james9490 (a self-proclaimed UI expert) strategically avoided responding to the the parts of my post that had to do with UI theory.

james9490, do you even know what Fitts' Law is? Do you know who Tog is? Will you still defend popup contextual menus over the menu bar after rereading my post earlier in the thread?

I think it's much to early to determine if MM is a "failure." The fact is, it's not being bundled with new Macs, and many people are buying it and liking it. I currently use a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, not because I like Microsoft, but because I like having a scroll wheel and extra buttons. But later this month, when I take a trip to Portland, it's to the Apple Store I go, testing MM and buying it if I like it.

And a little P.S. - No system designed by human beings will be 100% secure. People make mistakes, people leave in back doors for themselves, etc. However, to argue that Windows is more secure than Mac OS X is a joke. It was just a week ago we were hearing about another worm released. Did it do anything to Macs? Nope.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 01:37 PM

He's just a MS shill guys.

Right now MS is trying to push people into accepting IE standards instead of the WC3 ones .

MS is pushing this to major companies.

Hence articles like..

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...&tid=103&tid=1

Anything he says, you can pretty much find on MSs own home page.

AND BTW, IE is losing ground majority. Firefox is the new "In" browser for Windows.

I bet that really HURTS Gates. In a big way.

brink
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2005, 03:00 PM

Apple has held out against the multibutton crowd because Steve Jobs is an egomaniac and he can't get over himself. It's also called "reality distortion field."
Jobs wasn't even at Apple for more than a decade after the Mac was released.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 03:26 PM

I've got to bookmark this thread -- it's HI-FREAKING-LARIOUS!

Man, I wish this guy had a web site so we could all visit it and learn for teh master of UI implementation since he OBVIOUSLY knows everything there is to know about it (and everything else, I suppose).

Oh, and Karen got a kick out of being called my "mate" -- she's such a rare gem!

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 03:48 PM

It's a step in a wrong direction. Apple has held out against the multibutton crowd because Steve Jobs is an egomaniac and he can't get over himself. It's also called "reality distortion field."
Steve's ego and the RDF have nothing to do with one-button mice.

Apple has (rightly) stood by the one-button mouse as an easier to learn way of doing things. On top of that, having one button also forces developers to follow certain UI guidelines.

Particularly, knowing by default that most people only have one button, a developer has to make sure that all menu items are available without a context popup.

And please note, the RDF isn't something that makes Steve's ego. It's something that makes people believe in Steve's ego.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Oh, and Karen got a kick out of being called my "mate" -- she's such a rare gem!
Yeah, I'm sure she loved the part where he said that once someone read your post they couldn't be attracted to you...

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 04:17 PM

i just got back from the nyc soho store...packed.

and i tried the mm. it's nice. the nipple thing is smooth. the right button needs to get used to but it was fine.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 04:39 PM

Yeah, she did.

Sure, I like to come here and blow off steam -- I think everyone does -- but the vast majority of us know we're all just screwing around. Of course, there are some that can't take a firm jab in the ribs (or is that "teh ribs"?). Oh well. Those are the same people that take the internet far too seriously.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

james9490  (op)
troll
Aug 20, 2005, 07:35 PM

Yeah, she did.

Sure, I like to come here and blow off steam -- I think everyone does -- but the vast majority of us know we're all just screwing around. Of course, there are some that can't take a firm jab in the ribs (or is that "teh ribs"?). Oh well. Those are the same people that take the internet far too seriously.

Well then why should I take you or anyone in this forum seriously?

james9490  (op)
troll
Aug 20, 2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Steve's ego and the RDF have nothing to do with one-button mice.

Apple has (rightly) stood by the one-button mouse as an easier to learn way of doing things. On top of that, having one button also forces developers to follow certain UI guidelines.

Single button mouse is fine. The problem with MM is that it hides the right button, and it is tricky for novice users to figure out there is a button.

As I said, hidden UI is not good.

And forcing developers to work in a narrower UI capability is even worse. This is one of the reasons developers are leaving the Mac platform.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 07:41 PM

Single button mouse is fine. The problem with MM is that it hides the right button, and it is tricky for novice users to figure out there is a button.
No it isnt douche.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Aug 20, 2005, 07:43 PM

Well then why should I take you or anyone in this forum seriously?
Two-way street, cutie.

james9490  (op)
troll
Aug 20, 2005, 07:47 PM

james9490, do you even know what Fitts' Law is? Do you know who Tog is?

Yes for both. And according to Tog hidden interface is bad.

Will you still defend popup contextual menus over the menu bar after rereading my post earlier in the thread?

Nope.

I think it's much to early to determine if MM is a "failure." The fact is, it's not being bundled with new Macs, and many people are buying it and liking it. I currently use a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, not because I like Microsoft, but because I like having a scroll wheel and extra buttons. But later this month, when I take a trip to Portland, it's to the Apple Store I go, testing MM and buying it if I like it.

It's not that simple. Most consumers don't even know what to buy. Vast majority of them are computer-illiterate. Most of them won't read manuals, they don't want to, they don't like to, and the hidden interface introduced on MM will confuse many of them.

And a little P.S. - No system designed by human beings will be 100% secure. People make mistakes, people leave in back doors for themselves, etc. However, to argue that Windows is more secure than Mac OS X is a joke. It was just a week ago we were hearing about another worm released. Did it do anything to Macs? Nope.

It is because Mac is not even worthy of hackers' attention for the most part. They could easily break OS X security in no time if they feel like doing it.

james9490  (op)
troll
Aug 20, 2005, 07:53 PM

I've got to bookmark this thread -- it's HI-FREAKING-LARIOUS!

Man, I wish this guy had a web site so we could all visit it and learn for teh master of UI implementation since he OBVIOUSLY knows everything there is to know about it (and everything else, I suppose).

Just read a few books. Search for books at Amazon. Easy.

Don't make your mom your girlfriend, Mr. Offensive. You can offend me all you want but it's not ethical to offend your mommy. Aren't you ashamed of yourself?

Now, what's your next offensive animated GIF of the day?

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 08:00 PM

It is because Mac is not even worthy of hackers' attention for the most part. They could easily break OS X security in no time if they feel like doing it.

Lets see, if a hacker got access to a computer MORE secure than Windows, that would give them more cred.

Fact is, Windows OSs get hacked into the most because they are the EASIEST to do so.

james9490  (op)
troll
Aug 20, 2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin

Lets see, if a hacker got access to a computer MORE secure than Windows, that would give them more cred.

Fact is, Windows OSs get hacked into the most because they are the EASIEST to do so.

Well then, prove it. Write a code that breaks in a Windows box in 5 minutes and I might believe you.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 08:26 PM

And as pointed out by a number of people already, this mouse is not the default mouse and is an add-on purchased by people who are presumably not novices.

I think in the physical world it's slightly different. Think about it, how many people do you know (even novices) who actually LOOK at the mouse once it's in their hand?

Are you going to argue that a gas pedal, brake pedal and clutch are bad UI? They aren't in front of the driver, so they are "hidden" too.

When it's said that hidden UI is bad, it's meant that things like on your car stereo when you have to set the clock, and to do so you hold down three separate "keys" and then use the up or down arrow.

And forcing developers to work in a narrower UI capability is even worse. This is one of the reasons developers are leaving the Mac platform.
I'd like to see some proof that developers are leaving the Mac. Seems to me, the opposite has been true since the iMac in 1997.

And if developers are leaving, I would think it would have MORE to do with Apple stealing their ideas (Dashboard) than anything limiting about the UI.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 08:27 PM

Well then, prove it. Write a code that breaks in a Windows box in 5 minutes and I might believe you.
What does that have to do with what I just said?

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 08:28 PM

Haha, who are you? What MacNN forum member are you really? Zim? Cash?

Quit using your alias and post under your regular name.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 08:35 PM

Yes for both. And according to Tog hidden interface is bad.
Read my last post. I think on screen and physical are different. Otherwise, hitting shift to get a capital letter would be bad UI.

Nope.
Could have fooled me. Earlier you were making quite a big deal about the distance a mouse has to travel to the menu bar vs. a context menu. But then again, context menus are hidden, so that's bad, right?

It's not that simple. Most consumers don't even know what to buy. Vast majority of them are computer-illiterate. Most of them won't read manuals, they don't want to, they don't like to, and the hidden interface introduced on MM will confuse many of them.
Well, I don't think that the MM is being marketed to my mother. And even then, out of the box, it functions as a single button mouse. It's only through customization that one would end up changing the preferences to end up with an extra button.

I would submit that the Mac is more secure than Windows because of a number of things. User base may be one. But I would also think that Apple's lack of tight integration between the OS and certain programs, unlike Windows' integration with Office.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 08:54 PM

I've actually submitted a question to Tog to get his views on the MM... hopefully we'll hear from him.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
No, you finally found someone on this forum who agrees with your views on the Mighty Mouse and doesn't think you're an idiot for presenting them the way you did. Not quite the same thing. In fact, by a slight stretch, it might be said to be closer to the opposite (no offense to you, Gorn).
None taken, and please note my opinion of the MM made no mention of the OP, or what I think of his posting style

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2005, 10:06 PM

So, in your logic, Macintosh is for vertical market, targeting a specific group of people.
Mighty Mouse and the Mac are two related but different things. The Mac is not intended for a vertical market, but the Mighty Mouse is, more or less.
The problem, though, is that Apple is likely to make it a standard equipment. That's when your grandma and aunt will have huge issues.
There is no evidence whatsoever that the Mighty Mouse will ever be made standard equipment. Indeed, there is plenty of evidence against that fact.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2005, 10:20 PM

Yes, it is good for everyone.
OK, time for me to take the gloves off, in the face of your monumentally harmful attitudes.

"It" is good for no one. Your attitude represents everything which is wrong with the computing industry, and nearly all of it is Microsoft's fault.
Many people complain about Microsoft monopoly, but it is actually good for consumers because it standardize the whole industry and have one big platform that everyone can play together.
Standards are protocols, not programs. Just because there are two programs in no way inhibits their interoperability. That is what standards are for.
It's stupid that there are so many different browsers with different rendering behaviors for each browser.
There are many browsers, but only two rendering behaviors: IE and the real standards. It is stupid that IE refuses to follow these standards.
It's like having a music CD standard format and everyone conform to that standard. Right now it's like we have 15 different Audio CD standards.
No, we have only one audio CD standard. It was finalized in the late 1970s, though it didn't really catch on until the mid-1980s. It still exists to this day. Every CD player in existence can play it, even though those players are made by different companies. That is what a standard is.

There are some nonstandard formats out there as well. They mean little, which is fortunate, because they are Bad Things. Microsoft has set the computing industry back by many years by its stubborn refusal to conform to standards, instead insisting on trying to make a standard implementation rather than a standard protocol. This is why they need to be stoipped, if not outright dissolved. They consistently make among the worst products available in their respective markets, and they get away with it by lying about not just how good their software is, but what it means for software to work well. And people like you buy it lock, stock, and barrel, because you know far less than you think you do.

I work in software quality assurance for a living. This is why I am in a position to know exactly how bad Microsoft really is: if I cannot make sure that software is good, then I lose my job. To do that, I must know what makes it good, put that knowledge into practice, and research ways to make it even better.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2005, 10:22 PM

I don't defend Windows. I never said in this forum that I like Windows UI.
Then why do you defend it so staunchly? And make no mistake, you do defend it, particularly in how you treat contextual menus as a necessary part of the UI.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2005, 10:27 PM

Being curious I just checked his web site and I am appalled by Password Master's UI design. It doesn't use column view for different categories, and I could see at least dozen flaws in the UI implementation.
Then name a dozen. This is an honest challenge, because I don't think you can do it.
I can find at least 10 password manager software that are better than his stuff.
Name three.
And you tell me he is an expert? Mac market must be really gracious or something.
I am not saying he is an expert, and I don't think he would himself claim to be an expert. As for the Mac market being 'gracious', it's actually quite famous for its intolerance of bad user interface.
Actually, Mac land tends to be a bunch of fans who are so afraid of small market share and developers leaving the platform they can't safely criticize bad design.
You obviously haven't been a Mac user for very long. Mac users have raised UI criticism to an art form. They are quick to criticize user interfaces for any reason, and sometimes for no reason at all.
So it's easier to sell poorly designed products at a higher price point.
Name even one successful 'poorly designed product' on the Mac, apart from freeware. Poorly-designed commercial software does not survive on the Mac, because it can't. The Mac market doesn't accept poorly-designed software.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2005, 10:32 PM

Convenience is a part of the usability equation. Without many convenient features there is no good usability. Simple.
That's Microsoft's way of thinking, and it is wrong. Usability is, perhaps, best described as a subset of convenience: how easy is it to learn how to use a particular program? Many convenient things have extremely low usability, and contextual menus are fairly high up on the list. Toolbars are another example, and once again Apple cautions never to have any particular function available solely through the toolbar.
It's a step in a wrong direction. Apple has held out against the multibutton crowd because Steve Jobs is an egomaniac and he can't get over himself. It's also called "reality distortion field."
Then explain why Apple didn't go two-button during the ten-odd years between Jobs' firing and his rehiring. I'll agree with you that Jobs is an egomaniac and he can't get over himself; truth be told I probably dislike him even more than you do. But this does not explain the ten-year window when he had no influence over the company, and they still didn't go multibutton.

Multiple buttons confuse most users, and most users only use one button even when multiples are offered because of this. This is one of the few parts of the Apple Human Interface Guidelines which has been continuously re-tested over the years, and it has never come up any other way. Why should users need to know about buttons they are unlikely to ever use, until they actually decide they might want to start using them?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2005, 10:35 PM

How so?
Have you ever actually seen, much less used, the original puck mouse? The ergonomics were horrible, it was difficult to tell the front from the back (later revisions of the puck mouse added a ridge to the button, but the first version did not have this), the range of movement was limited by a too-short cord, the actual roller mechanism required frequent cleaning but the ball was often difficult to remove, and so forth.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Maybe in 1970 the MM would have been too much for the average consumer to be comfortable with but this isn't that era anymore. The technological know-how of the average consumer has been raised so high by now that almost anyone can figure out devices like video games, mice, ATMs, cell phones within minutes of picking one up.
Here, Cap'n, I must disagree. Studies have shown that your average user is in fact only slightly more technologically savvy nowadays than they were in the 1970s. Not too many studies have been done -largely because too many people consider the original 1984 AHIGs to be some kind of infallible authority- but those which have been done have never once disputed this.
If you can figure out how to use a VCR remote you will have the ability to use Apple's mice.
Yes, but most people can't figure out a VCR remote either.
Honestly, I am willing to believe you are some computer programming dork but you didn't go to business school.
See, I believe the opposite. I think this is some MIS major who thinks he knows everything about computers and UI design because he took a VB course in his freshman year and knows how to use PowerPoint.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 20, 2005, 11:11 PM

Millenium: Wow. You tore him a new one, but GOOD!

You da man!!!!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 11:19 PM

I am totally upset that I missed the opprotunity to get in on the ground floor of this Internet Classic™ Thread ®.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2005, 12:22 AM

business schools turn out retards. period.

iDu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2005, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
<big snip>See, I believe the opposite. I think this is some MIS major who thinks he knows everything about computers and UI design because he took a VB course in his freshman year and knows how to use PowerPoint.
Agreed, especially since every "alternative" mentioned by this poster is an MS product. I have to deal with someone similar every day (and I'm insulted by him almost every day because I prefer Apple/Macintosh over Windows/PC).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2005, 12:00 PM

Name even one successful 'poorly designed product' on the Mac, apart from freeware. Poorly-designed commercial software does not survive on the Mac, because it can't. The Mac market doesn't accept poorly-designed software.
Millennium speaketh truth.

Microsoft Word 6.0 is the most prominent example of commercial software that completely bombed due to bad UI. And I mean COMPLETELY. It's absolutely legendary.

It is the reason Microsoft created the Mac Business Unit, which has since been dedicated solely to making half-ways decent implementations of Microsoft products to sell to Mac users.

Read a first-hand account from one of the developers here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/rick_schaut/ar.../26/80193.aspx

(Though, reading that, it strikes me that even now, the guy *still* doesn't *quite* get it...)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2005, 12:15 PM

There is no evidence whatsoever that the Mighty Mouse will ever be made standard equipment. Indeed, there is plenty of evidence against that fact.
You are quite wrong.

The standard optical mouse is being phased out. It is already no longer available from the Apple Store.

Again, though: This is not a problem, since in its default configuration, it's just a one-button mouse with a scroll clit.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2005, 12:19 PM

You do realize that the single prime example of hidden UI is the contextual menu, right?

To avoid the necessity of using contextual menus - which, as hidden UI, are an interface nightmare unless specifically sought out as convenient shortcuts - Apple ships a one-button mouse standard. No hidden UI.

Even the Mighty Mouse is left-click only in its standard configuration. No hidden UI.

UNLESS you specifically seek it out as a convenience. In which case, it is neither hidden, nor unexpected.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 21, 2005, 12:25 PM

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2005, 12:59 PM

Let's hear it for Millennium. Well said.

james9490, what you have yet to realize is, while you pretty much assume all of us to be lackeys for Apple, you are the one who keeps naming one company as the standard bearer. The fact is, most of us are ready to jump on Apple for the slightest misstep.

Re-read the thread. Pay close attention to the criticism of Apple's previous mouse design, the Puck. It's imfamous. It was terrible.

Search elsewhere for people's input about the brushed metal interface. Or the Dock.

We aren't shy about picking Apple products apart. Apple fans are Apple's own worse critics. And that's what makes Apple strive for the best designed products. We won't buy anything that sucks.

MathewM
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
You completely missed the point. Apple WANTS stupids users to not realize there is a second button. It keeps the simplicity of the single button mouse in the two button package. It stops them from getting confused and going into a stupidty coma.

Educated Mac users who buy the mouse and people who aren't so stupid they don't read the manual KNOW there is a second button and know how to use it.

I tried out the 'Mighty Mouse' and IMO it is indeed one of Apple's worst designs. It's basically what I thought an Apple designed two button mouse would be like but that doesn't make it good. I know I"m in the minority but I actually like Apple's one-button mouse. It feels 'right' as long as you're sitting upright and you use your keyboard for all of the Apple key functions.
I'm outta' here.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 21, 2005, 01:21 PM

Let's hear it for Millennium. Well said.

james9490, what you have yet to realize is, while you pretty much assume all of us to be lackeys for Apple, you are the one who keeps naming one company as the standard bearer. The fact is, most of us are ready to jump on Apple for the slightest misstep.
This be true. Most of us would jump ship if something better/cheaper came out.
Most have no loyalty to Apple. But only use their products because the alternative sucks more.

The same reason I used IE 5 for OS 9. Not that I was some MS zealot. But because, at the time all other browsers sucked.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 21, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Calm down, Oisín. No one is worth making grammatical errors like these.
Dear God! I didn't!

I can only claim extreme fatigue. I have no other excuse. I am in shock.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
The same reason I used IE 5 for OS 9. Not that I was some MS zealot. But because, at the time all other browsers sucked EVEN MORE.
Fixed.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by MathewM
I tried out the 'Mighty Mouse' and IMO it is indeed one of Apple's worst designs. It's basically what I thought an Apple designed two button mouse would be like but that doesn't make it good. I know I"m in the minority but I actually like Apple's one-button mouse. It feels 'right' as long as you're sitting upright and you use your keyboard for all of the Apple key functions.
In its standard config, the Mighty Mouse *is* the standard Apple one-button mouse, except for the scroll ball.

I actually really like the multi-button implementation, but I realize that YMMV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules