Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > QUAD Advice?

QUAD Advice?
24klogos
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 10:51 PM

I might be getting a Quad for my office, I need that hardware to crunch through video rendering and heavy multimedia projects... the only thing stopping me is the bad-reputation they have to blow, if you will. stop working.

any comments? suggestions?

thanks,
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 09:33 AM

I have had my Quad for almost 2 months, use it daily no problems.

Once I got the memory issues sorted out (bad RAM from 3rd party vendor), runs rock solid.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 09:42 AM

I got a new Quad 4 days ago. It died 1 hour after I plugged it. (It's a problem with some of the 1000W power supplies in these machines). The store owner where I bought it told me to call Apple. I did and they're sending me a new machine which I'll pick-up today.

I was impressed for the short amount of time I had it. I only had time to do an After Effect render test.

G4 400 (upgraded to 1GHz) = 2h 14min
PB G4 1.5 = 1h 57min
G5 Quad = 21 min

It was my first problem with a Mac. My Mac Plus still works. I was p***ed off, since I had plan my weekend to set up my new machine. It was like winning the lottery, although I would have prefer to win the lottery. I pondered a few months before doing the purchase but I don't regret it. We had no problems with the machines we bought at work.

24klogos  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 09:48 AM

wow, i have heared the same thing from some other people, power supply just collapsing after little or no use. Do you think this is an issue that will be addressed by Apple before they release an IntelPowerMac? I need the hardware, but dont need the hassle to send it back to them once it breaks to have a working unit.

Thanks,
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Finrock
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 11:05 AM

I've used my Quad for 2-3 months now with no problems whatsoever. I'm just about ready to put it into production as a document and backup server.
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 11:11 AM

deleted.
( Last edited by Kyle Dreaden; Jun 16, 2007 at 12:31 AM. )
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

24klogos  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 11:23 AM

good deal, now lets see if the budget manager "buys" what you folks have posted...
I have heared its a killer machine.

Thanks a bunch.
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

sray
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 24klogos
I might be getting a Quad for my office, I need that hardware to crunch through video rendering and heavy multimedia projects... the only thing stopping me is the bad-reputation they have to blow, if you will. stop working.

any comments? suggestions?

thanks,
No problems here. It's now coming up on three months old and holding up just fine.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 08:17 PM

I just got my «replacement» Quad today. So far so good. The shop where I bought it tested it 24 hours on the bench to make sure this one was OK.

I'm really pleased.

24klogos  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by dlefebvre
I just got my «replacement» Quad today. So far so good. The shop where I bought it tested it 24 hours on the bench to make sure this one was OK.

I'm really pleased.

happy to hear that bro, enjoy it... let me know if you have any issues, i am ready to get one but i'm still doing some research.

Thanks
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 10:49 AM

The power supply issue was, according to hardmac.com, a problem with screws being
inserted in an incorrect way causing a short to ground if you can believe it.

Not necessarily an Apple problem but the vendor that supplied them with the power
supply from what I can read (their primary language is french so their english can
be somewhat unusual).

Most Quads chug away with no problem - talk to the folks in the Team Macnn forum
about their quads - 24/7 seti crunching and no problem.

Chad A Wright
Mar 1, 2006, 11:30 AM

I ordered a Quad the first day they were announced and was one of the first to recieve it. It has been running almost 24/7 since and has not had a major problem. Occasionally I will come in and it has frozen and the fans are blowing full blast (jet engine). That has only happened about 4 times. I just restart and it goes great from there. It's been the best machine I've had so far.
Chad Wright
Image Studios
The Journey Blog - http://chadwright.wordpress.com

netjammer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2006, 02:17 PM

I'm curious as to what they did for "testing". I've had my Quad for a little over a month. My use has been only a few hours at night, every night. It would be great to if I can perform some diagnostic test and then run the Quad for 24+ hours. I would much rather have it fail when I expect it rather than when I really need it.

Cheers!
Netjammer-

Originally Posted by dlefebvre

I'm really pleased.

bitjumper
Mar 5, 2006, 04:09 PM

Just to add to the data here.

I've had my Quad since 12/3/05. It's been the most stable computer I've ever owned (comparing to both Macs and PCs I've owned since the Apple II days).

I keep it running 24/7 (I never sleep it) and it is my primary desktop. I keep it on 24/7 so I can remotely access it anytime and so backups can be done every night. It has never crashed, never froze up, and never had its fans rev up. I only reboot it for upgrades (HW or OS). It is on a UPS.

I had two very minor problems which were nicely resolved. Initially the DVD writer wouldn't write -- my store quickly installed a new DVD writer. The 7800 video card fan was loud (I added this card after my original purchase). I replaced the fan with the Zalman. Runs wonderfully quiet now.

I'm a extremeley satisfied customer right now. The quad is a pure joy to use.

Erik

Forum Links
Forum Rules