Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: WUXGA 1920x1200 15" widescreen thin laptop compaq x1000

FS: WUXGA 1920x1200 15" widescreen thin laptop compaq x1000
uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 05:30 PM

I know that this is a mac forum, but i'll give it a try.

I'm finally selling my trusty Compaq x1000 laptop.

what makes this laptop different from all the other dells, etc?
This is a slim 15" widescreen laptop with WUXGA (1920x1200) resolution. I don't know of any other laptop that is thinner (1.3" thin, which is thinner than the 14" ibook) that has a WUXGA display. (edit - there is a sony one, but it also costs twice as much as mine did)
This resolution is even HIGHER than the 17" macbook, and is the same resolution as the 23" Apple Cinema Display.

quick specs:
  • 1.6Ghz Centrino (with 2mb L2 Cache)
  • 15.4" widescreen 1920x1200 with no dead pixels
  • 64mb (dedicated, not shared) Radeon 9200 Mobile Video Card
  • 1gb RAM
  • 80gb hard drive
  • NEC-6500 dvd+/-rw and Dual Layer dvd burner (3rd party)
  • Original cd-rw/dvd-rom combo drive
  • bluetooth built-in (no dongles)
  • Wifi (802.11b/g) built-in (no dongles)
  • 3 USB 2.0 ports, 1 Firewire (4-pin) port
  • built-in SD (secure digital) card reader. it reads SD cards as if it was a flash drive
  • built-in IR port (i never used it, but you may find a use for it)
  • 6.4 pounds
  • 2 ac adapters (one for home, one for work)
  • all original software (Win XP)

I am the original owner, and even when I switched to Macs, this Compaq x1000 still remained by my side.

pics will be uploaded later on tonite
( Last edited by uicandrew; Jun 7, 2006 at 02:26 AM. )
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

wildcard
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2006, 08:21 PM

That's a pretty good price in my opinion.

uicandrew  (op)
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 01:09 AM

Just a view of the lid; nothing special

the nice 2 tone reminds me of the ti powerbook

having the 1200 pixels height works well for forums

there is a small button right above the green light that turns on and off the touchpad. there is a special area on the right side of the touchpad where you can scroll up and down. on the front of the laptop, the blue light means that wifi is turned on. there is a dedicated button next to the blue light that turns the wifi on/off instantly. There is also headphone and microphone jacks in the front for easy access.

another neat feature is a built-in sd (Secure digital) card reader on the front edge. about 1 inch to the left of the microphone jack. PERFECT for digital cameras and pdas. It can take so long to transfer pictures through a external card reader or even straight off the camera/pda. now you pop an sd in and out with ease. and the card shows up as another drive (like a usb flash drive)

This is just showing off the NEC 6500 dvd+/-rw and DL dvd burner (superdrive)

This shows how far back the screen can bend (a much better angle than the Macbook pros) i would guess it is about 170 degrees or so.

Look at how good the viewing angle is. If i had a picture at a high enough resolution, you can read the words from the angle I'm at. Great for watching dvds with other people or for working as a group around 1 laptop

This is what i love about the 1920x1200, you can read pdfs with 2 full pages facing each other. Just like reading a book. The same can be done in Microsoft word

this shows how thin this laptop is. Some laptop manufacturers cheat and say their laptop is only 1.2" thick, but they don't explain that their laptops are wedge shaped so the front is 1.2" thick, but the back of the laptop is 1.8" thick in the back. I put a quarter on the laptop for size comparison. Also note the IR port. i've never used it, but you may find a use for it.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 03:25 AM

Just for any potential buyers out there: my GF has this exact same laptop, and let me tell you, for a Windows laptop, this thing is very impressive. Built like a rock (it's been dropped three times and hasn't been affected whatsoever). The screen is absolutely stunning. It's a bit heavy for my tastes, but it's still light enough to tote around in a backpack. Just thought I'd highly recommend this baby for anyone looking for a nice PC laptop at a good price.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

uicandrew  (op)
Senior User
Jun 4, 2006, 10:11 AM

a bump before going on ebay later on

uicandrew  (op)
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 06:01 PM

a final bump (still not on ebay)
( Last edited by uicandrew; Jun 7, 2006 at 02:26 AM. )

wildcard
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 06:07 PM

PM sent

uicandrew  (op)
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 06:45 PM

pm replied

Forum Links
Forum Rules