Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Buy multiple items from Apple and get billed separately

Buy multiple items from Apple and get billed separately
Rumor
Jul 21, 2006, 05:32 PM

I just recently bought two items for 21.50 ea from Apple with $4 for shipping. Even though they came from the same place and in the same box, each item was a separate authorization on my debit card, including the shipping.

Normally, I would just shrug and chalk it up to a billing error. However, I forgot about a direct draw for a large quarterly bill (health insurance) and it ate all my reserves and put me about $20 in the hole.

So, I called Apple and was told this is normal. Every other company I have ever bought multiple items from do it in one transaction.

So now what should have cost me $47 is costing me $107. I would mind paying $67, since the original overdraft is my oversight. Now I feel like yelling .
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 05:54 PM

I'm missing something.

Your complaining that apple hit your debit card twice for 21.50 + S&H instead of 43+S&H
Wouldn't you be in the same boat regardless if how the money left your account. Your still out 43+S&H so your large unforseen bill was still going to whack you

I know i'm missing some logical piece of information.
( Last edited by mac128k-1984; Jul 21, 2006 at 06:28 PM. )
Michael

hickey
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 06:25 PM

maybe the seperate shipping did him in. But yeah, I think Im missing a logical piece to this story.

ael719
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2006, 06:35 PM

He had less that $20 in his account and got charged $21 + shipping 2 times and was fined 2 overdraft fees. If Apple had only charged his account once, he would only have to pay 1 overdraft fee.
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

tutelary
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2006, 06:47 PM

billing you for shipping twice and shipping one package is a scam or a loophole of some kind that apple is exploiting. take it up with your congressman.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 21, 2006, 07:18 PM

It's very common for companies to charge separately for each shipment.

I'd just whine to the bank to get the fees removed. I have established a good relationship with my bank manager, so I can get pretty much any fee removed if I ask.

tooki

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2006, 07:11 AM

Just a suggestion?

Keep $100 in the account at all times and pretend that it is $0.

That way you'll have $100 in the bank to cover any problems.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying either; it was $21.50 x 2 plus $4 for shipping...so it was $47.00 total...and you're saying that instead of billing you $47.00 in one charge they charged you $21.50 plus $21.50 plus $4 for shipping...which is $47.00...

So you were charged the same amount, just in a different way...

I guess you're saying that because Apple billed you twice and you were overextended that you therefore got two overdraft fees instead of one?

Dude, manage your money more wisely and keep at least $100 in there at all times...

Like tooki said call the bank and see if they'll remove it.

Your thread title suggests that you are irritated with Apple over two separate charges for some reason? You should be irritated only with yourself because you choose not to pay attention to finances.

"Forgetting" about a bill is the same as ignorance of the law...both have negative consequences that are directly attributed to oversight on behalf of the persons whom they affect.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2006, 10:45 AM

This is normal, and I'd have to agree with the others that Apple is in no way wrong here.

Anyways, like tooki says, you might be able to get one of the overdraft charges reversed if you complain to your bank.

Originally Posted by tutelary
billing you for shipping twice and shipping one package is a scam or a loophole of some kind that apple is exploiting. take it up with your congressman.
Um... Usually Apple just charges one shipping fee for one order, regardless of how many shipments they actually make. In fact, sometimes they don't even charge shipping when they should:

I once ordered a few things together worth about CAD$100 from Apple. Since orders over $75 have free shipping, I paid no shipping. However, one piece I got I didn't like, and returned it. That ended up making my order worth less than $75, but Apple still didn't charge me shipping.

Rumor  (op)
Jul 23, 2006, 11:00 PM

I wasn't complain about the way Apple charges people. As I already said, the fact my account bounced was my fault. An oversight on my part.

What I found odd, is that even though the items came from the same wharehouse, they were charged separately, including the shipping.

Rumor  (op)
Jul 23, 2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg

Just a suggestion?

Keep $100 in the account at all times and pretend that it is $0.

That way you'll have $100 in the bank to cover any problems.

I usually keep more than that in my account. Health insurance is so damn expensive, it drained me.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
I wasn't complain about the way Apple charges people. As I already said, the fact my account bounced was my fault. An oversight on my part.

What I found odd, is that even though the items came from the same wharehouse, they were charged separately, including the shipping.
I've actually found this to be somewhat normal from Apple. They only charge you when something ships... unlike some companies that simply charge you... and then ship at a later time. There are pros and cons to both...

Rumor  (op)
Jul 24, 2006, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I've actually found this to be somewhat normal from Apple. They only charge you when something ships... unlike some companies that simply charge you... and then ship at a later time. There are pros and cons to both...
I see where you are coming from. However, my gripe is that both items and the shipping were separate charges. Three charges for 2 items.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 07:24 AM

Rumor:

About your health insurance, I understand how it can drain you as you said.

What we do is have our health insurance premium that we are responsible deducted from our salary before taxes on a plan monthly. We never have to pay it ourselves directly then and it is paid out before taxes which does help a bit. Why not ask about that type of plan? Our health insurance plan is paid 50% by ourselves and 50% by the company and our health insurance is $585 a month for our family (our portion). If we didn't plan for those funds to be withdrawn before we received a paycheck and had to cough up about $7000 annually we would be in sorry shape indeed. Especially since that money would have been after taxed income.

And what about having an automatic deduction taken monthly? I know that some people don't like deductions like that, but trust me when I say that it will be a relief knowing that you'll never have to come up with that kind of a lump sum payment again, you see? Seriously, if you can't have them bill you monthly, then have your bank take out a specified amount each month and dump it into a savings account - then forget about it, see?

It's really the very best way.

We do the same thing ourselves - just have an automatic small amount taken out and put into savings that we pay no attention to. It's not a lot but it adds up after a while.

In fact, Bank of America has a plan whereby if you put a certain amount on a debit card, like $5.23, that they will automatically round it up to the nearest dollar and put that extra amount (which would .77) and put that in savings - and they will match it with .77 of their own! It's a great deal.

Anyway, good luck.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 07:33 AM

Bank of America Keep the Change program link.

We've already saved a couple hundred extra dollars in the couple of months we've had it!

It's a REALLY great program - Bank of America is giving you free money and it doesn't get better than that.

Rumor  (op)
Jul 24, 2006, 03:17 PM

Thanks Cody. Even though I despise B of A, I will look into it. Sounds like a great program.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 03:39 PM

My Credit Union automatically transfers the correct amount plus $100 from savings to checking if I overdraw. There is NO charge as long as the total number of all transfers is six or less per month. I don't buy from Apple other than their local store so I don't know their shipping policy. I also get extended warranties by using their credit card, so good deals are available. sam

bstone
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
i
No.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Rumor  (op)
Jul 24, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
It was one shipment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules