Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook vs macbook

ibook vs macbook
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2006, 02:09 AM

How do people feel these two compare in overall use and fun. Obviously the macbook will be faster, but I'm talking, do you miss the ibook feel?

I miss the name.

My point is, I've been waiting for the ibook to have a 13.3 widescreen for years. Then it came in the form of the macbook. But I didn't want the glossy screen. And as a writer, the new keys are smaller and hard to type on I find.

I miss the ibook already.

I've only played with it in the store (not the ideal conditions as you can't sit in a chair and type), so I want to know what you think.

Which computer do you like more?

How do you feel about the keyboard?

masugu
Senior User
Jul 30, 2006, 03:53 AM

I like the keyboard, but it does inded feel different. My favorite keyboard of all time is the one on the IBM ThinkPad X31 and X41...Hard to say that, but its true.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

ael719
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2006, 07:06 AM

There is a company based in Houston, TX that will gloss or de-gloss your laptop screen for $100. They were reviewed by PC Mag a while ago and were recommended. So that could be an option.

Without any doubt, get the MacBook. I'd take the glossiest most over glazed screen with an unfamiliar keyboard over any laptop with an ANCIENT G4 processor.

I took me about a month to get accustomed to the keyboard. Now every other keyboard I use feels foreign. The keyboard is fine and as long as its functional I don't see why anyone would complain about it.

Then again you can always wait for Apple to release the perfect MacBook with the matte screen and normal keyboard...
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2006, 08:22 PM

The keyboard takes some getting used to, from everything that I've heard. However, my friend told me it took him only 2 or 3 days to get acclimated, and now he loves the keyboard.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 09:35 PM

Keyboard sucked for a few days, maybe even a week. I really enjoy it now though. It's a joy to type on. The screen rocks. Once you actual get it and stop worrying about it being glossy so much I doubt most people even notice.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2006, 09:44 PM

That's good to hear as I love the macbook for everything else... I did hate the new keyboards they made (still prefer the older ones) for the desktops, but now I type on one everyday.

Still, the latest ibooks revision I didn't like the keyboard. I enjoyed the white keys that were a little more flexible.

Maybe I just need to jump in then...

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2006, 09:51 PM

I can't wait to replace my iBook with a Macbook. I've tried the new keyboard in a store and it is so much better than the flimsy thing in the iBook its incredible. That said I found it easier to type on the MBP, I guess its closer to the iBook keyboard, only solid. The only thing I don't like about the Macbooks is the colouring - I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something about the white one I just don't like. There is too much off white plastic to look at when its open (compared to 12" iBook) and the keys are a different white to the palm rest etc. I like the black one, although I don't like how finger prints show up on it.

I guess I'm hoping a 13" MBP will come out, but of course it won't. Ah well might just have to bite the bullet and buy a black one and decent cleaning cloth.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 10:20 PM

I've never used an iBook extensively, but I like the click-clack of the keys on the Macbook. I don't understand what's with all the complaints about the glossy screen. I write quite a bit...I'm also gaming and video editing on this machine and I think the screen is gorgeous.

My only complaint is a manufacturing defect--lumpy trackpad. It wasn't enough to make me send it back.

Hope you find the machine that's right for you.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jul 31, 2006, 01:47 AM

My favorite BOOK keyboard was the old clamshell iBooks, they were the best hands down. I use the last 12" ibook made by apple now, and the keys are very bouncy, I am used to it but I miss the keys of the older Clamshell. I tried out my friends Macbook he got and it does indeed feel different, but I admit I liked the keys. Maybe a week to get used to them and they will feel better then this iBook im using now.

*SIGH* If only the Clamshell displayed 1024x768, I never would have sold it
iMac G4 / Macbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules