Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Smudge-Book?

Smudge-Book?
bryanmsi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 07:51 PM

Has anyone tried a different strategy for dealing with the smudging on the Black MacBooks? Like using ArmorAll or something to "season" the finish?

I've notice that trying to clean seems futile, but if you smudge it with skin oil and then rub that area, the sudged area blends in and then is harder to smudge later. Cleaning lasts until you touch it again, and doesn't totally work on the keys...

Maybe if the whole finish is "smudge" then it wil look seamless again.

bradoz71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 08:48 PM

Armorall shouldn't even be used on cars let alone your Macbook.
Macbook Air | 1.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo | 2 GB | 80 GB
Macbook (Black, Week 22) | 2.0 Ghz Core Duo | 2 GB | 120 GB
Mac Mini | 1.25 Ghz G4 | 40 GB | 1 GB
iPods | Touch 16 GB | 4G 20 GB | 5G 30 GB (White) | Nano 2 GB (Black) | 2G Shuffle 1 GB

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 31, 2006, 09:00 PM

I wholeheartedly concur with bradoz71!!! Ye godz! Armorall is bad for anything (except maybe tires in dry climates). Armorall tends to soften hard plastics anyway...not what you want to do to your computer's case.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ael719
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 09:40 PM

Why shouldn't I use Amorall on the dashboard of my car?
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 09:45 PM

Armorall works great on my Volvo's leather. But please don't put it on your MacBook.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2006, 11:55 PM

You Armorall your leather? I've only ever used it on tyres and to make old black bumpers look blacker. I used it on my dash a long time ago but it was to shiney and slippery.

Speaking of which a friend did indeed Armorall the leather seats in his Peugeot and it was like sitting on plastic - really firm and slipery!
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

SLiMeX
Senior User
Aug 1, 2006, 12:51 AM

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser!!!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

ael719
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2006, 01:23 AM

The smudging is really not that bad. I was aware of every smudge I made the first week I bought it, but since then I have become desensitized to it. I shutdown and clean my MacBook at least once a week. I went maybe a week and a half without cleaning my MacBook and it left a permanent stain on the rightside of my SpaceBar button (or maybe its because I only use my right thumb to press the spacebar button?).
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2006, 08:10 AM

ArmorAll uses volatile chemicals to supposedly refresh those that evaporate out of soft plastics. The problem is that those volatiles DON'T evaporate very quickly, and ArmorAll provides far more than what's needed to keep most plastics soft and pliable. Further, it tends to evaporate itself, and it will make your car smell pretty odd in the summer!

On leather? WHY? Leather needs more natural chemicals. As nJm noted, putting ArmorAll on leather seats will make them VERY slippery-remember the warning on the label to ONLY use it on the sidewalls of tires, NOT the tread? That's because it makes even tires slippery-and dangerous!!!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules