Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > TV Tuner in OSX

TV Tuner in OSX
roders
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 05:32 AM

Do any of these exist?
If so are any of them on PCI cards (which I would prefer) are formac supporting/going to support there PCI TV tuner under OSX (don't really need or want to pay for the Studio).

larkost
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 10:59 PM

If you look up "tv darwin" in the search feature, you will get links to a number of threads about a driver/app combo that is in the Darwin project that will allow you to watch TV on cheap WinTel PCI cards under MacOS X (not under X-11 in Darwin though...).

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 11:36 PM

Thanx for the info

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 11:53 PM

Sorry I'll have to take the thank you back as I couldn't find anything for tv darwin under ANYWHERE in these forums, if you read this post again could you tell the exact search criteria to use and which forum to search?

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2002, 12:57 AM

There were several long threads - if you search the X open discusstion for TV tuner - but the sourceforge project is here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtv/

They are trying to get it all working... I wish them luck. Sometimes I wish I could code so I contribute to some of these projects...

Peter753
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2002, 04:54 PM

as far as a driver from formac, a couple of noths ago i got an e-mail from them with a surver asking question like how much would you be willing to pay for it. I personally was kind of anoyed that they planed on making me pay for one if they ever did develope one.

j mars
Feb 28, 2002, 08:23 PM

I've been trying to get a driver for an ixTv card for months. No one has come up with anything yet but Sourceforge seems to be working the hardest on it. Actually I would love to find a driver for an ATI All-in-Wonder card. These are Rage 128 or Radeon video cards with a built in tuner which use only one PCI slot. Windoz has had them for a few years but there are no Mac drivers. I should think that the acceleration side of the card would be handled by the ATI drivers included in OS 9 and 10 but whether the TV needs a separate driver I don't know. Sure would be nice if the included drivers could be used with BTV to end up with a working set up.

zos
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2002, 01:46 PM

Why wait for something that's been out for some time?

Though it's not a PCI card I consider my MyTV/fm to be extremely nice and reliable. Eskape Labs has had OS X drivers for months now and they work great.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Mar 4, 2002, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by zos:
<STRONG>Why wait for something that's been out for some time?

Though it's not a PCI card I consider my MyTV/fm to be extremely nice and reliable. Eskape Labs has had OS X drivers for months now and they work great.</STRONG>
Yes, i've looked at MyTV/FM as well, but unfortunately you're limited to USB-based capture with (at best 320x240) resolution and (more importantly) none of the truly revolutionary features found on the AIW series (ex: scheduled recording of programs - TiVO, RF remote, dual-display output, digital audio out, hardware-accelerated DVD playback, etc).

Unfortunately there's WORLDS of difference between USB-based products like MyTV and ATi's AIW cards. From what i've read, you're basically talking about getting best-of-class DVD playback rivaling even top-notch standalone DVD players for around $200. Not too shabby an argument for convergence if you ask me.

Speed

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2002, 10:42 AM

Formac released an OS X driver a few months ago - Free. Worked well though I haven't used it much lately. There was no problem just a changing lifestyle.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

rmansfield
Mar 5, 2002, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by neutrino23:
<STRONG>Formac released an OS X driver a few months ago - Free. Worked well though I haven't used it much lately. There was no problem just a changing lifestyle.</STRONG>
I got the Formac studio yesterday. It works in both OS9 and OSX, although I recommend you download the OS X driver from the Formac site rather than using the one on the CD.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Mar 5, 2002, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by rmansfield:
<STRONG>

I got the Formac studio yesterday. It works in both OS9 and OSX, although I recommend you download the OS X driver from the Formac site rather than using the one on the CD.</STRONG>

Here's the question that's been buggin me... can you use the TV recording software for the higher priced ($999) Formac DV/TVR model with the Formac DV/TV + internal hard drive?

$999 is an absurd amount of money just to store the data on Formac's drive.

Speed

Forum Links
Forum Rules