Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Human Rights, business needs and National Security.

Human Rights, business needs and National Security.
Pendergast
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 07:05 PM

From the cbc:
A former intern at Bell Helicopter outside Montreal is seeking $110,000 in damages for discrimination after he lost his job on a military contract for the U.S. government.

Jaime Vargas, a Venezuelan-born Montrealer, is accusing Bell Helicopter of discriminatory practices when the company let him go before his contract ended. Vargas believes he was fired because Bell was forced to comply with U.S. state security laws for military production.

His internship ended prematurely about the same time Venezuela was added to a list of countries banned from any involvement with U.S. defence contracts.

Under the American International Traffic in Arms Regulation, companies that do business with the U.S. must ensure that no employee with citizenship from the proscribed list of countries works on strategic weapons.

The Centre for Research Action on Race Relations is filing the complaint on Vargas's behalf with the Quebec Human Rights Commission. It's the first time anyone in Quebec has challenged the U.S. military law.

Bell claims it dismissed Vargas because of poor performance, but the former employee said he received nothing but positive feedback.
This is not the first case. Another Canadian has apparently been dismissed to work on some of Bell Helicopter's contracts because of his Syrian origins. Yet, that man has lived for 30 years in Canada.

This raises a direct conflict between the Canadian Chart of Human Rights and compliance to business needs, and the political perspective of Security.

This also comes at a time where in Quebec, a portion of the population is showing less tolerant to aspects of multiculturalism that allows objects like the Kirpan, or even some Muslim customs requiring the hijab.

Seems that 9/11 and the War on Terrorism will continue to shake some of the foundations for Freedom and democracy.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Nicko
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2007, 07:14 PM

Well, on the other hand... If people want some of that USD$$$ gravy train money, they need to play by the rules (that is, those set by the US I guess). I agree though, deplorable situation nonetheless.

pooka
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 08:04 PM

Yeah, I'm not getting it. If you want Satan's money, don't you have to play by his rules? I'm come on. It's Satan.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 11:11 PM

3 , 2, and 1. The priority order of those items in your list.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
If people want some of that USD$$$ gravy train money, they need to play by the rules.
Isn't suing playing by American rules?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2007, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Isn't suing playing by American rules?
Quite right, and as a fellow Canadian, I wish him luck

Forum Links
Forum Rules