Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > SAH Preferences

SAH Preferences
Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2007, 07:04 PM

Just checking my SAH Preferences and I see that a

'In use' means mouse/keyboard activity in last............... minutes
and
Suspend work if no mouse/keyboard activity in last................ minutes

entry has been added. If you use your comp when crunching you may want to set this, or not.

I had not noticed this before now.

K.
'Save the cheer leader, save the World'

zombie67
Senior User
Aug 15, 2007, 08:12 PM

Where are these? On project site? In the BOINCmanager? I can't find them.

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2007, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
Where are these? On project site? In the BOINCmanager? I can't find them.
Sorry, it's in your SETI 'Your Account' pages, under General Preferences. I am using BOINC Manager 5.10.18 (beta)

Not getting much work from SETI at the moment.

K.
( Last edited by Knightrider; Aug 16, 2007 at 02:56 AM. Reason: add work comment)

zombie67
Senior User
Aug 16, 2007, 10:37 AM

Interesting. I see you need 5.10.14+. I'm sticking with 5.10.13 (win) and 5.10.10 (mac). With 5.10.13 or less, if you set "connect every" to 0 days, it acts like "return results immediately", which I like. I think that was unintentional, and was fixed with .14, which will wait up to 24 hours to return results if there is no other reason to.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2007, 12:09 PM

Sort of related to this topic....

While I'm waiting for the S@H queue to refill, I've been running Rosetta. Can I set the preference so that I keep caches at, say, Rosetta of 0.2 days and S@H of 3 days?

I'm happy to run other projects during gaps in S@H, but I like to be able to get back to Seti as quickly as possible without having to wait to crunch down a longer cache in R@H. When I've tried to set a computer using the "home" preference (which is 3 days) on the Seti preference page and "work" (0.2 days) on Rosetta, the computer always uses whatever was set last.

Is what I'm looking for posiible or am I trying to do something the preferences can't handle?

QS

{edited for missing word & stupid typo}
( Last edited by QSilver; Aug 16, 2007 at 12:22 PM. )

zombie67
Senior User
Aug 16, 2007, 12:46 PM

I believe you can have only 1 General setting per machine, for all projects. You could try using Resource settings. You could make S@H (using your same ratios) 160 and Rosetta 10. With a 3.2 day cache, 3 days should be S@H, and .2 should be R@H.

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2007, 07:20 PM

I think that any settings made to the account prefs for any project apply across the board, to all projects. You could try to balance by setting the amount of resources as Z67 suggests.

In the BOINC Manager, there is 'simple view' which has some local settings for limited preferences, not wu's however.

btw: my reference to 'Save the cheer leader, save the World' is a quote from the TV series Heroes which is currently showing in the UK. I'm hooked on it.

K.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
I believe you can have only 1 General setting per machine, for all projects. You could try using Resource settings. You could make S@H (using your same ratios) 160 and Rosetta 10. With a 3.2 day cache, 3 days should be S@H, and .2 should be R@H.
No this doesn't do it. I have SS@H at 100 and Rosetta and Predictor at 1 each. With a four-day queue, R@H will download four-day's worth of WUs. I think this is particularly true if there are no or very few S@H units in the cache. And I realize that the overall work performed balances out to the resource setting using the Long Term Debt factor.

QS

Forum Links
Forum Rules