Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > COMBO ORDER/SHIP THREAD

COMBO ORDER/SHIP THREAD (Page 2)
Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2001, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
<STRONG>Just passing on a little info. I ordered my combo on May 1 Apple online. As you can see below, this is not coming out of Taiwan, but instead, CA. Don't know if it means anything or not.

</STRONG>
Thats not anything big. I called Apple because i was wondering why i had not gotten the other things i ordered from them.. extra battery, UBS Zip, etc... Anyway, my iBook will get routed to CA because i ordered it from the Apple Education store, and since it was ordered through the Univ Computer store for me the iBook has to be routed to CA after Taiwan so it can be packed up with the other stuff. Its a matter of the Univ purchasing dept not wanting to deal with more than one invoice for the entire purchase.

I dont know how you bought it but that same type of issue might be why its in Cali.

And for the guy who ordered it on the 24th and got his... how did that happen? I ordered the same day and same model plus RAM and Airport card and 20 gig drive and was told 3-5 and no word from Apple to it even leaving Taiwin yet. TELL me your secret!!!

davez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2001, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by &lt;tacit&gt;:
<STRONG>

Well, you'd better go outside, because it was the Apple Store -- albeit the Apple Store for Education. That might have had something to do with it..</STRONG>
It's painfully obvious which customers get priority; Educators! Apple wants to beat Dell to a pulp this quarter and it looks like they may do it.

Non-Education consumers are at the bottom of the list.

I won't be surprised if the new iBook is one of the most popular Macs ever. I'm expecting a Jobs boast any day now...

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2001, 11:25 PM

Congrats davez!

You've had a long wait. Mine gets here in KC but I'm traveling the next two days and won't see it until late Thursday nite. Told my 13 year old son to stay away from the box.

It is a blast tracking it on Fed Ex. I ordered mine from the Apple site on May 1 and it is coming from CA. It just left Memphis TN and I expect it will be in KC sometime later this evening.

davez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 12:39 AM

<STRONG>Congrats davez!

You've had a long wait. Mine gets here in KC but I'm traveling the next two days and won't see it until late Thursday nite. Told my 13 year old son to stay away from the box.
</STRONG>
Thanks, KCMAC

I've told my wife if she opens the box I'll not be a happy camper. (She's seen me wait and open other Macs as well)

I'm trying not to get to excited until I see that ol' email from Apple. (I've already setup a rule to email my pager when it comes in! )

Also, received my Canon DV Camcorder back from factory service today (about a week early)

HEY! I just got the email!!! :12:30 AM, so they missed by 30 minutes informing me within 5 weeks.

Cool Beans!!

markedcw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 01:31 AM

My shipment notification arrived today also. Four weeks plus six days from my May 2 order of the Combo/128/20G/Airport. Oddly, my order status page shows a second iBook "shipped on 06/11/01" as well. How they managed to already ship on a future date, I won't begin to ponder.

I'm still peeved about the unequal priority system the Apple Store seems to operate on. Perhaps I'm naive but I believe customers have a right to expect first come, first served treatment. Needless to say, I'm avoiding the Apple Store like the plague going forward.

On a less bitter note, I find the sudden avalanche of shipment notices and the news that iBooks are originating in California quite interesting. Perhaps Apple sent a bulk shipment to it's Sacramento facility. If that's the case, mine would only have another 90 miles or so to travel and I might actually see the thing this week.

Nah, too happy a thought to be possible at this point.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: markedcw ]

davez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 06:58 AM

Being curious, I asked Amanda at Apple where iBooks were shipping from now. She indicated it was still Taiwan.

However, checking with FedEx this morning:

Left FedEx Origin Location RANCHO CORDOVA CA 06/05/2001 21:30 �Pickup status RANCHO CORDOVA CA 06/05/2001 21:12 �Pre-routed meter pkg picked up

Strange...

I think the only reason they'd ship from California is either a part issue or trying to avoid the "Alaska customs fiasco" of last week.

my 2 cents....

Titleist
Jun 6, 2001, 11:17 AM

I could really care less where my iBook is coming from, as LONG as it's coming to ME! It could pass throught the fiery pits of hell, as long as it arrives in my hands tomorrow. Just left Alaska, on it's way now.

But to be honest, I feel really guilty. I mean, I almost cheered when I got the shipping notice. But I kind of felt dirty since it was the end of 3 weeks of obsession. And because I knew I was getting my machine before people who ordered weeks earlier would get theirs. Like, when I have it in hands, I'm not going to trumpet it around and show it off on the boards. I'll wait till the May 1st people get theirs, then I won't feel so guilty. I'm glad to get it, but I think I handled the buying experience with much less tact and patience then you May 1st guys, and I ended up getting it 2 1/2 weeks after it came out.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Titleist ]
-----------------------------------
*iBook 500/384MB RAM/DVD/Airport
*G4 500/1GB RAM/130GBHD/DVD

ZOM 77
Jun 6, 2001, 11:40 AM

<STRONG>
Also, on my Apple order status, a second iBook is shown as shipping on 6/11 although it doesn't show up on the price totals.
</STRONG>
i have the same thing on my order....
it shows one shipped on the 4th
and one shipped on the 11th...

i hope i get two
:-)

id be even happier.....
(im keepin it)
hehe

good luk to everyone
- motech

http://homepage.mac.com/motech

triskelboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 11:49 AM

My May-1 order has finally shipped today - out of CA as well.

The following products shipped on 06/05/2001.
Z03K00T0J IBOOK 500/WHT/128/20G/DVD-CDRW/AP-LL 1 2,098.00

My guess is that they got a large shipment of the combos with 20GB drives sent to Ca for Airport Card insertion. Thats why our orders were late, and why they aren't coming from Taiwan.

Andy Sorensen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 11:59 AM

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Andy Sorensen ]

rbdc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 12:17 PM

My Combo BTO was ordered from Apple UK on 12th May. Arriving tomorrow (7th June). 3-5 weeks quoted, no complaints there.

<Diomed>
Jun 6, 2001, 05:48 PM

Order Date: 5/20
Configuration: COMBO/20/128/No Airport
Ship Date: 6/6

WHOOHOO!

-- dio / out

iBook2  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 07:15 AM

<font color = red> </font>�ORDER DATE: 5/22/01
�CONFIGURATION: combo/20gb/no airport
�SHIP DATE or EST. TIME TO SHIP DATE: one apple rep. said 2 weeks, another said 3-5 weeks, and the last one said 3-4 weeks was the ship time from the order date.

.... I'm still waiting in Being Assembled!
null

<dbeth>
Jun 7, 2001, 11:22 AM

Order date: 5/23/01
Setup: combo/20 GB/256 MB/with airport
Shipped: 6/7/01

I ordered mine from the Apple Store for Education. I figured the airport card was going to hold everything up, but I guess I was wrong. 2 weeks from order to ship. Everything else I received about a week and a half ago (AV cable, base station, AppleCare, Pro Mouse). Good luck to everyone getting their's. There must be a major shipment coming out now.

BTW, mine's being shipped out of Taiwan.

<Shyone>
Jun 7, 2001, 11:40 AM

�ORDER DATE: 6 June 2001
�CONFIGURATION: 10Gb 256Mb Ram Combo
�SHIP DATE or EST. TIME TO SHIP DATE: Arrived today 7 June 2001

Apple reseller had some come in yesterday, here in the UK. I asked for one and they sold it to me. I am lucky.

Shyone

<Shyone>
Jun 7, 2001, 11:42 AM

�ORDER DATE: 6 June 2001
�CONFIGURATION: 10Gb 256Mb Ram Combo
�SHIP DATE or EST. TIME TO SHIP DATE: Arrived today 7 June 2001

Apple reseller had some come in yesterday, here in the UK. I asked for one and they sold it to me. I am lucky.

Shyone

<Wahoo Blue>
Jun 7, 2001, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by &lt;dbeth&gt;:
<STRONG>Order date: 5/23/01
Setup: combo/20 GB/256 MB/with airport
Shipped: 6/7/01

I ordered mine from the Apple Store for Education. I figured the airport card was going to hold everything up, but I guess I was wrong. 2 weeks from order to ship. Everything else I received about a week and a half ago (AV cable, base station, AppleCare, Pro Mouse). Good luck to everyone getting their's. There must be a major shipment coming out now.

BTW, mine's being shipped out of Taiwan.</STRONG>

iBook2  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 12:40 PM

dBeth-
Ahhhh I'm pisssed! I orderd the 22nd with the exact same order, even from the Education Store!

I'm Happy for you, but pissed at Apple!

iBook2  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 12:55 PM

Well I just got off the phone with Apple and they said that my order will be shipped out within the next 24hrs. They also said the latest it would get to me would be mid next week!

Finally some good news!

<Skatchet>
Jun 7, 2001, 04:20 PM

Ordered May 22nd from the Education store - Shipped June 6th from Taiwan.

Combo - 128 MB - 20 Gig - No Airport

Probably somewhere over the Pacific Ocean right about now.

davez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2001, 04:35 PM

My wife called and left me a voicemail that my iBook has arrived! 2:11 pm. (Even she sounded excited!)

So my long wait is finally over for my Combo/20gb/airport ordered on May 1.
BTW: That is 5 weeks and 2 days. I doubt anyone can beat that wait time!!

So, look on the bright side iBook2 and others... your iBook is coming!

-DaveZ

MUGlover
Jun 7, 2001, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by &lt;tacit&gt;:
...it was the Apple Store -- albeit the Apple Store for Education...Really, I'm starting to feel guilty. Your iBooks are coming guys...they're coming.
Then &lt;tasteless&gt; that would explain the white color. &lt;/tasteless&gt; :o

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: MUGlover ]

MaritimeSeven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2001, 05:26 PM

Just an update:

I received my "Shipment Confirmation" e-mail from Apple this morning.

I ordered my iBook 500/256MB/20GB/no AirPort on May 10.

My FedEx tracking info shows it leaving from Taiwan.

I can't help but feel kinda sad about all of the people that ordered before me and STILL don't have their 'books. I feel kinda dirty, but I suppose I'll get over it.

iBook2  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2001, 04:02 AM

Thursday the Apple Store told me that my iBook would be shipping out within 24hours, and that I would get it the latest mid next week. Well I just checked the status of my order and it STILL says being assembled. I just wish Apple would get their info straight.

iBook2  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2001, 04:36 AM

I just checked on the Apple Store to see what the ship times are like now and for:

Combo/500mhz/20GBHD/256MBram (BTO)

is now ONLY 10 DAYS!!!!

too bad I still haven't received mine!!!!!

<kswwahoo>
Jun 10, 2001, 11:30 AM

Combo/500mhz/20GBHD/256MBram/Airport.

Well, mine is finally on its way. Ordered 5/25. Shipped 6/9. Now I'm reduced to running a FedEx track every hour as it makes it way halfway around the globe.

Kevin

iBook2  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2001, 12:15 PM

This sucks. People that ordered after me getting confirmation on the exact same order as I did. Apple Store SUCKS AZZ! I'm never buying from them again.

iBook2  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2001, 12:41 PM

Well it finally shipped!
Apple's letter:

Dear Apple Customer,

The following products shipped on 06/15/2001. Transit time will
depend upon whether you have chosen standard or premium freight
options. If your order is shipping standard freight, it should arrive
within 10 days of shipment.

Product # Product Description Qty Ext Price
__________ ________________________________________

__________________________________________________ ____
Z03K00T0C IBOOK 500/WHT/256/20G/DVD-CDRW/LL 1 2,137.00
With the following configuration:

COLOR 065-2473 White
MEMORY 065-2820 256MB SDRAM
HARD DRIVE 065-2862 20GB Ultra ATA drive
OPTICAL DRIVE 065-2688 DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
AIRPORT 065-2471 No AirPort Card
SHIPPING14 EXPEDITED SHIPPING CHARGE 1 15.00

Promotion Savings 94.00-

That means I "should" have it by Monday. I ordered it on May 21, which makes it barely by the deadline.

I'm still pissed that Apple sent the exact same order to people who ordered after me.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2001, 02:56 AM

Congrats....

Despite the fact the Lakers won tonight, I still had a good day. My iBook arrived this morning via Fed Ex. Ordered May 24th a combo/20 gig/256/Airport through the Ed store and I am happy to say there is no dead pixels, no sound problem, and thus far scratch free...

So over all, it was about 3 weeks and worth it.

iBook2  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2001, 09:04 PM

Arrived at FedEx Ramp ANCHORAGE AK 06/16/2001 14:09 �
Left FedEx Origin Location TAOYUAN CITY TW 06/15/2001 21:18 �
Pickup status TAOYUAN CITY TW 06/15/2001 19:49

Making progress here!
Hopefully I'll get it Monday! This would be the greatest Monday

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2001, 03:49 PM

My DVD / 20gig / no airport / 128Mb actually shipped:

Held at Sort Facility MEMPHIS TN 06/17/2001 13:43 �
Left FedEx Sort Facility OAKLAND CA 06/17/2001 05:44 �
Left FedEx Sort Facility OAKLAND CA 06/16/2001 23:30 �
Left FedEx Origin Location RANCHO CORDOVA CA 06/16/2001 19:32
Pickup status RANCHO CORDOVA CA 06/16/2001 18:15

I sure hope it gets here Monday.. Order was placed at the educational store on the 21st. I also ordered the AV cable and an extra power supply, all are said to have shipped..

EDIT: Talk about needing sleep. Sorry about posting this lowly DVD iBook in this topic!

-peter, http://peter.neophiliadesign.com/

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: neophilia ]

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: neophilia ]

TiMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2001, 10:44 PM

Has anyone's shipped who ordered in June? I ordered mine on June 5, a 20g, 258, airport. I saw on the macworld forum that someone ordered a 20g combo on June 4 and they allready recieved it. I am starting to get anxious.

TiMac

Forum Links
Forum Rules