Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "Your iBook will ship within 3 to 5 weeks"

"Your iBook will ship within 3 to 5 weeks"
lawdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 08:21 AM

If I hear that quote one more freakin' time from an Apple representative, I'm going to explode *poof*.

I order on May 3 at 500/128mb/20GB/DVD. I'm still being a**embled with no real end in sight. So, I've called Apple again and again and again, etc.

Each time I call they say "your iBook will ship within 3 to 5 weeks of your order date." Each time I have to ask if I'm talking to a human being, as I continually get that same automatic response.

I just got off the phone again with Apple. This time, after the traditional response, the rep. told me that my iBook should ship within 3 to 5 business days. I told him that Apple's policy of humping its preorder customers is ridiculous. When he responded with something akin to "Apple's policy is to ship out the books in the order in which the preorders were received," I shot through the roof. That is obviously a lie.

But at the end, he was so kind as to upgrade my shipping to overnight status...yeah...isn't Apple doing that automatically for everyone?

In any event, I can't wait for my iBook!!! I don't think I'm really mad at Apple; rather, I upset that I'm so addicted to checking my order status 12 times a day (at work) and reading the posts on this forum, that I am getting little actual work done

jedakroub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 10:12 AM

Lawdog,

I'm with you on this one. Every time I call Apple, I get the same lady giving me the stock 3-5. I also check my Order Status about 10 times a day (from work) and from home. I'm almost getting sick of thinking about it. In addition, I've thought about calling Apple to change my order from an iBook to a TiBook! It's just my impatience getting the best of me I guess. I ordered mine on the 11th, combo/128MB/20GB/no airport. It enrages me that some people ordered their combos later than I did, and they are already getting theirs. It's a total crapshoot. Anwyay, good luck in your quest. Apple is still aces on my list...

markedcw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 10:34 AM

I too am getting frustrated. My order for a Combo/128MB/20GB/Airport was placed on May 2. Today, it's 4 weeks + 1 day and the status seems stuck at being assembled. I'm losing hope that the promised 5 week ship date will be met. If the situation were truly first come first served, I wouldn't mind waiting. But other posts on this board make it obvious that the Apple Store is not processing sales in the order that they are received. What's the secret? Do I need to threaten to cancel and defect to Dell or Sony?

lawdog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 10:42 AM

I hear you markedcw! I also thought about threatening to cancel my order. However, I didn't even want to utter those words for fear that the keyboard jockey on the other end of the phone would quietly cancel my order or place me lower on the assembly list.

But you top me, you placed your order on May 2. I would be totally aggrevated (like I'm not).

I do still like Apple, I just think their marketing/customer relations department(s) could use some improvement. But still, not bad for a company that enjoys only a 5% market share.

That said....Puhlease, send me my computer!!!!

forza azzurri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 12:42 PM

Hi guys,
By no means am I one of these gloaters you see on threads. I just want to give you an update on my status, because things at Apple seem pretty random. I just rec'd an email (5/31) informing me of shipment form Taiwan...I ordered the combo drive/20gb/ 256ram/ no airport. I ordered on 5/11/01. Just a heads up. Sorry to hear on your end but I am sure you will get news very soon.
GO DEVILS!!!

lawdog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by forza azzurri:
Hi guys,
By no means am I one of these gloaters you see on threads. I just want to give you an update on my status, because things at Apple seem pretty random. I just rec'd an email (5/31) informing me of shipment form Taiwan...I ordered the combo drive/20gb/ 256ram/ no airport. I ordered on 5/11/01. Just a heads up. Sorry to hear on your end but I am sure you will get news very soon.
Wow! I should have ordered the combo. *smack* *smack*

Well, I hope you book gets to you soon. Mine, however doesn't want to leave the womb.

sysco
May 31, 2001, 09:43 PM

Ordered ibook combo/20G on 5/2 from the apple education store, still being assembled. I was hoping to have it last monday for the little vacation I went on, but then i was sure i'd have it by tomorrow for another trip I'm taking. If/when i ever recieve the thing, it will be basically useless because i'm working/living outdoors all summer at a Scout camp. I thought I'd at least get to use it a little bit before I left, after reading that the combos were finally going out. I'm glad to know folks who placed their orders 10 days after me have theirs though! (I'm not mad at those lucky consumers, I'm mad at Apple)

playboyguy
May 31, 2001, 09:48 PM

Me i don't sweat it. I just think of all the naked women picws i can load on my new ibook!

jblakeh1
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 11:01 PM

I ordered on May 1, and they are now telling me next week.

------------------
.b
http://homepage.mac.com/jblakeh1
http://www.sit3.com

kcmac
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 11:59 PM

20 gig combo. May 1. Still being assembled. Shipping in 3 to 5 weeks. No rhyme or reason to who gets theirs first. This I'm growing tired of.

My new pet peave is hearing people that ordered theirs a week to 10 days later complaining that they are waiting.

Yeah, I'm cranky here in KC. Pardon me.

------------------

iBooks and Mini Coopers...life's best come in small packages.

drillerkiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 12:08 AM

Strange, I ordered a cdrom/20GB/128 no airport on 5/11 and it shipped 5/30. The whole thing seems very random.

davez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 12:28 AM

I'm in the same boat as a few of you. Ordered on 5/1 (Combo/20/airport) and am sick of waiting.

I called Apple yesterday because my status went back to "Being reviewed" and I got transferred to a nice enough guy in credit who really didn't explain what the problem was but he fixed the status back to "Being assembled" and apologized for the problem.

I point blank asked him about why someone would get a identical or almost identical configuration shipped when he ordered a week after my order. He gave me some lame excuse about "maybe they ordered a plan vanilla model". Well we all know this is BS. He or someone else also seemed to indicate that the Combo drive was the hold up part.
(I don't know if I buy this 100% since the drive is shipping in a few other laptops...)

On Tuesday I talked to some lady and she indicated that my credit card was "Queried" or whatever for the total amount of the bill last Wednesday (5/23) She told me that this usually happens one week before shipment. Now tomorrow is 6/1 and they have two to three business days to get the iBook to me to meet their self-imposed deadline of 3-5 weeks.

This was my first purchase on the Apple Store (and probably my last) especially since I can drive 1 hour to Buffalo and buy one (when it opens!) Maybe the Buffalo opening will happen prior to my iBook delivery!

-DaveZ

stickboy67
Jun 1, 2001, 01:04 AM

I hate to gloat but i received my bto 640mb/20gb/combo this morning and it is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I think it is random because I ordered mine 5/11.
(shame on you all who defame the name APPLE)

SEE WHY NO YEAR WILL BE LIKE 1984

markedcw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 01:53 AM

davez said:
On Tuesday I talked to some lady and she indicated that my credit card was "Queried" or whatever for the total amount of the bill last Wednesday (5/23) She told me that this usually happens one week before shipment.
I'm afraid that seems to be a lie also based on my experience. Apple hit my credit card with a hold for the purchase amount on May 9. I verified that little tidbit with my credit card company, by the way.

Gametes
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 01:53 AM

I have sympathy for all of you, you addicted, mac-hungry kinsmen, but this is utter nonsense.

Didn't they say when you bought it that it would be 3-5 weeks? yes.
Aren't they still saying that? yes.
Have they changed their estimate? no.
Is 5 weeks expired? NO
How do you know they are lying about shipping in the order they receive orders? you don't. maybe you were orderer #12000 and they honestly haven't gotten you yet.

So stop whining because you think "3-5 weeks" means "by tuesday" and "first come first serve" means "I am me, therefore I ordered first therefore I must have gotten mine first".
I understand your frustration, but you need to get a hold of yourself and be rational.

------------------
you are not your signature
you are not your signature

warrior queen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 02:04 AM

Well, mine was ordered on the 11th (256/20G/DVD CTO) and it shipped today....

No rhyme or reason that I can see- I didn't expect it to ship for another week.......

alisonc
Jun 1, 2001, 04:10 AM

Hey guys, I'm thinking the hold up may be due to Airport? Seems like I haven't heard about anyone having received a BTO model with Airport. Anyway, to all those who are still waiting, find an online reseller who has them in stock and cancel your Apple Store order. You'll also have a wad of cash in sales tax and the Airport is a cinch to install yourself. If the Apple Store says it's too late to cancel and you ordered the combo drive, tell them when you placed your order the specs states 8/4/24 speed and you just found out it's actually 4/4/24 and you're steaming mad.

lawdog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Gametes:
I have sympathy for all of you, you addicted, mac-hungry kinsmen, but this is utter nonsense.

Didn't they say when you bought it that it would be 3-5 weeks? yes.
Aren't they still saying that? yes.
Have they changed their estimate? no.
Is 5 weeks expired? NO
How do you know they are lying about shipping in the order they receive orders? you don't. maybe you were orderer #12000 and they honestly haven't gotten you yet.

So stop whining because you think "3-5 weeks" means "by tuesday" and "first come first serve" means "I am me, therefore I ordered first therefore I must have gotten mine first".
I understand your frustration, but you need to get a hold of yourself and be rational.

Yes, Gametes, you are correct...with regards to some things. Yes, they said 3 to 5 weeks. What then if they don't meet that deadline? (which it appears they will not). According to the Apple rep, I talked to again late yesterday, his new estimate is that it will ship, maybe, sometime late next week.

Yes, they are still saying that "3 to 5 weeks." That's my point. 4 weeks later, they are still saying "3 to 5 weeks" which is utterly ridiculous. You do the math.

HOW DO I KNOW THAT THEY ARE LYING ABOUT SHIPPING IN THE ORDER THEY RECEIVE THE ORDERS????? Because of the simple fact that people who have ordered the exact same specifications as some of us, yet ordered later, have already received their iBooks!! By the way, "first come, first served" means EXACTLY that...those who place their orders first, should receive the iBook first, with consideration given to stock supplies to the particular drives (CD, DVD, CDRW or Combo). You may call it "whinning" if you like, but the simple fact is that Apple has made an apparent misrepresentation, which gives us every right to be somewhat upset.

I think that we are being rational. If Apple, makes a particular statement, then they should live up to it, especially if they have induced customers to buy a product based up such statement.

Furthermore, I was perfectly content to wait my "3 to 5" weeks from the date I placed the order. However, the contentment was lost upon seeing others who placed the same configuration order as mine, later than mine, shipping before I'm finished "being assembled".

By the way, if you don't like our discussing this particular matter, then don't read the posts in this thread. Simple as that.

I still like the Apple products, and probably always will; however, Apple clearly needs to get itself in order if it ever truly wishes to push past the 5% market share in any significant fashion. According to Steven Jobs, that is the goal. Goals are nice, but without a viable plan for implementation and the corresponding resources, that goal will only remain a pipedream.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2001, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Gametes:
First of all, the 5 weeks *are* by Tuesday for those having ordered on the first day. Then we'll see how many have gotten their iBooks (not many, I predict).

Also, when "I am me" who has ordered a week before those other guys which already have received their iBook with the exact same specs, then the rational assuption--based on "first come, first serve" must be, that Apple does not tell the truth and/or doesn't even know what's going on.

jblakeh1
Senior User
Jun 1, 2001, 09:20 AM

The fact of the matter is a lot of people who ordered theirs on May 1 will not get theirs in the 3-5 week time frame, while a lot of people who ordered theirs several weeks later already have them, as this thread clearly illustrates.

What's irrational? Several things Apple has said aren't true: (1)3-5 weeks and (2) first come, first served.

------------------
.b
http://homepage.mac.com/jblakeh1
http://www.sit3.com

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 11:35 AM

Thank you lawdog, 2far and jblakeh. You have hit it on the head.

I would (and will apparently) wait forever for this machine because I know it will be the best Apple that I have owned to date. The problem arrives with the randomness of the process.

I can understand that people could go to a store and possibly pick up the combo config that I ordered because that store, especially the new Apple Stores most likely ordered there machines well before May 1 like I did.

How does it happen that someone ordering from Apple, online like me and and a lot of others, get theirs before us even after ordering as much as 10 to 12 days after us?

This is probably the last time I will order a computer from the Apple online store. It is not worth the frustration. Or I could quit reading the forums all together so that I would hear none of this.

At least my shipment isn't stuck at US Customs because the proper paperwork is not being turned in. Now that would be torture!

------------------

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 11:43 AM

Gametes

I take it you are waiting for the possible iBook revision in July?

Order now brotha if ya want ta see it this year!

------------------

davez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by alisonc:
Hey guys, I'm thinking the hold up may be due to Airport? Seems like I haven't heard about anyone having received a BTO model with Airport. .
Good point.

Has anyone received a Combo unit with Airport???

Forum Links
Forum Rules