Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are you Mom enough? TIME's mother's day cover

Are you Mom enough? TIME's mother's day cover
design219
Professional Poster
May 14, 2012, 03:54 PM

Uhmmm. Is everyone cool with this?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

andi*pandi
May 14, 2012, 04:36 PM

Do you mean the photo showing a bit of boob, breastfeeding in general, breastfeeding to past 3 years, or the inflammatory headline?

a) bikini ads show more, so this is ok by me
b) bf fine by me
c) mixed feelings. We lasted about a year for each kid. I know people that do extend bf, and very well. At that age it's more for comfort than nutrition.
d) sigh. Time is just trying to stir up the anti/pro/formula/lactivist/ sh!tstorm. Go away, Time.

Disclaimer: Didn't read the article, however, that kid's pretty tall for a 3 yr old, looks healthy, she must be doing something right.

At least it's not plaster casts of hoohas.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2012, 04:51 PM

I think a good rule of thumb is that whenever your kid is old enough to ask for milk, maybe it's time to think about stopping...

We went about a year ourselves, but I too know others who did it until well into the threes. Good friends of ours who I consider very normal and well adjusted.

I'm not going to lie, I find it very off putting, but I think that's more cultural conditioning than anything.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't think it's doing the kid much harm or good past the age or 12ish months though.

This particular image though, is just a shameless way to try and sell magazines and get attention... and it's working, because this cover is getting a lot of buzz and is popping up all over.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 14, 2012, 04:53 PM

Yeah, I'd say any apprehension at the thought is cultural in basis, however I hope none of this kid's friends find out about this cover in high school.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, I'd say any apprehension at the thought is cultural in basis, however I hope none of this kid's friends find out about this cover in high school.
Meh. I expect they'd be more interested in how hot his mum is/was.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2012, 05:51 PM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2012, 08:48 PM

Now this version is really disturbing:

https://twitter.com/#!/donald_faison...91805859258368

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2012, 08:59 PM

My wife plans on doing it until Emma's two. I'm fine with it, doesn't bother me.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2012, 09:28 PM

The camo was a nice choice.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2012, 12:17 AM

I believe the kid in the pic is almost 4, which is probably why he looks a bit big for his stated age of 3.

Personally, I think a year is good enough, considering the digestive tract becomes mature enough after that to tolerate a wider array of foods. But then again, there's nothing inherently wrong with going much longer. Well, maybe not until 37 like in that video. In many areas it's the norm to go to well past 1 year, and in some places even 4 or 5 is considered normal.

However, if I were the mom, I think the main issue for me (hypothetically since I'm male) is that it'd get damn annoying after a year.

---

P.S. This website had an appropriate article. The site itself is generally very supportive of breastfeeding (as it should be), but correctly calls out the obnoxious ultra pro-breasting feeding types to get off their misinformed high horses.

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2012, 06:58 AM

While I'm glad that breastfeeding moms are stepping up and saying "back off!" to people who are uncomfortable that they are breastfeeding in public, I don't think the over-the-top and in your face approach is right either. My wife breastfed our son until he was more interested in other foods, about 26-28 months old. That time was particularly rough for all of us because of external factors, but breastfeeding was a very good method of helping both mom and child stay connected and relax together.

We got some looks for my wife's public breastfeeding when the boy was a tiny baby - and this was in Austin, Texas in the 1980s. She was extremely careful, not wanting to set off some loud mouth while she was trying to be the best mother she could be, but people still stared. On the other hand, there's "public," and then there's "PUBLIC." She chose secluded, quiet places because that fit the point of the activity.

Breastfeeding IS the very best method of nourishing one's child. When to stop? That depends on a lot of factors, including health, developmental progress, and many others. To me, the Time Magazine cover picture doesn't indicate "this mother continues to breastfeed this child on a daily basis." A lot of moms find that breastfeeding helps calm and soothe a child who is uncomfortable for any number of reasons (it seems to help with motion sickness, anxiety, and fear reactions), and it's often up to the child to separate from mom in a developmentally appropriate expression of independence which shows up between 30 - 40 months. In other cases, the child is too busy exploring the world to stay in one spot long enough to stick with breastfeeding past the point that he or she is able to independently wander around and explore (18 - 24 months is the most commonly cited age range for this sort of exploration).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2012, 07:58 AM

Cultural thing. In some Scandinavian countries, breat-feeding until 3 is normal.

Also, why the hang-up about breasts in public? You see more on MTV, Oscars etc etc.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 15, 2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Cultural thing. In some Scandinavian countries, breat-feeding until 3 is normal.

Also, why the hang-up about breasts in public? You see more on MTV, Oscars etc etc.
Every nipple is sacred.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2012, 08:58 AM

For some reason, breasts seem to be fine, but nipples are taboo.

(happy to be living in Europe)

subego
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2012, 12:51 PM

There's some regional variation.

I just learned it's legal for women to go topless in NYC. There's actually a topless book club which meets in Central Park.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2012, 04:14 PM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2012, 04:16 PM

AILF

Edit: **** no caps

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
**** yeah.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2012, 07:23 PM

Brilliant.

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
There's some regional variation.

I just learned it's legal for women to go topless in NYC. There's actually a topless book club which meets in Central Park.
Austin, Texas has an ordinance that specifically states that it is lawful for women to be topless anywhere that it is appropriate for men to be shirtless. It's not common anymore, but I've seen topless joggers around Town Lake (now Lady Bird Lake), and in Zilker Park, particularly at Barton Springs Pool. While I think it was dumb to "need" something in writing to state this situation, I'm glad it was done (and for more than just the obvious reason).

Yes, we Americans have some specific hangups about female nudity, but when it comes to female anatomical function, we are just plain weird.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
but I've seen topless joggers around Town Lake (now Lady Bird Lake), and in Zilker Park, particularly at Barton Springs Pool.
This sounds like boob torture.

However, I'm compelled to ask... do topless girls run like girls?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2012, 04:19 PM

Patrick
Mac Elite
May 23, 2012, 03:00 AM

I don't know why they'd call this extreme. I once saw a woman breastfeeding while walking down the street at a reasonable pace, while carrying on a conversation with friends. Now that's a bit closer to extreme.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2012, 04:22 AM

Nursing is a biological aid for babies. It seems like it shouldn't be a crutch for toddlers. A child at perhaps age 3 but definitely by age 4 is conscious enough to have lasting memories. At that age that level of attachment seems like it would make a child feel awkward in retrospect, if he or she were to retain such memories. Maternal closeness and nurturing is one thing, but gratuitous breast suckling by a kid old enough to speak full sentences and fetch his own damn milk from the fridge, is another. Moreover, it feels to me like it's cheapening the mother, as if she's just some milk vending machine object.

With that said, that mother's got MILF appeal.
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 23, 2012 at 04:28 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 23, 2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I don't know why they'd call this extreme. I once saw a woman breastfeeding while walking down the street at a reasonable pace, while carrying on a conversation with friends. Now that's a bit closer to extreme.
Sorry, but what's extreme about that? I see what all the time? Granted, I live in a neighbourhood that has Canada's highest number of kids under the age of five in all of Canada, but still - doesn't seem strange to me.

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This sounds like boob torture.

However, I'm compelled to ask... do topless girls run like girls?
Considering that the majority of young women I saw using these trails without tops were extremely fit, they did not run like girls. On a number of levels. Not too much "torture," but plenty of reminder of why I like the whole "two sex species" thing.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Not too much "torture,"
That's good then. I'd say 80% of the women I see jogging don't have things strapped down properly.

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

andi*pandi
May 24, 2012, 08:12 AM

Inferior bras are the problem.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2012, 08:19 AM

Girl, don't get me started!

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2012, 07:09 AM

Those things are important and should be properly protected, but the level of protection needed is individually dependent. On the other hand, it appears that the last time an engineer applied any thought to the bra was when Hughes designed one for Jane Russell. Thin straps, bad chest bands, and worst of all, lack of instruction in fitting make for ineffective undergarments. (Yes, I notice this stuff, in part because those thin straps on larger cup-size bras impinge on important shoulder structures and cause problems all the way down to the fingers).

Without proper instruction, women seem to gravitate toward bras with the wrong size chest bands, or to improperly place them, so instead of an anchor, it's a chest-garrotte. Bad designs, bad fitting and bad practices all add up to some of the more well endowed women having back and shoulder problems that impact their ability to function. There is actually medical literature about the impact of bra straps on hand function, but it's so poorly investigated that it's hard to find sufficient hard data to support change in the industry.

Of course I shouldn't be surprised; women choose shoes that are obviously designed to fracture their ankles (and do very well at that) at a masochistic pace...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Sorry, but what's extreme about that? I see what all the time? Granted, I live in a neighbourhood that has Canada's highest number of kids under the age of five in all of Canada, but still - doesn't seem strange to me.
I think the 'extreme' part comes from the multitasking.

Patrick
Mac Elite
May 26, 2012, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I think the 'extreme' part comes from the multitasking.
That, and from the baby having to eat while being bounced up and down. It's a wonder they don't get motion sickness.

ccarla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2012, 06:32 AM

great cover.
quite funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules