Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why Not Store Wifi Networks/Passwords on iCloud???

Why Not Store Wifi Networks/Passwords on iCloud???
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2012, 09:16 PM

As my first iPad (mini) purchase rapidly approaches, I was thinking about what a pain in the ass it's going to be adding it to every wifi network I'm ever near, AGAIN. Most people don't even know which network is theirs, never mind what their password is. It's almost always a battle to get that connection. I've gone through it with my laptop, and then my iPhone, and soon again with my iPad.

This seems like the PERFECT type of information to store on iCloud. If Wifi networks were stored on the cloud, then seconds after taking my iPad out of the box, it would already know the names and passwords for every network I've ever connected to. And when I was at a new location, once I added the wifi on my phone, my iPad or MacBook Pro would, at a future date, be able to connect right up to the network without any hassle.

Why oh why has Apple not implemented this yet?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2012, 09:16 PM

Also, I posted this in the Lounge because it's a thread that really could go anywhere else, so might as well put it here.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2012, 01:33 PM

I think it might make sense to have a keychain type file you could transfer between devices, but storing a bunch of network SSIDs and passwords on another server, to be uploaded and downloaded using a wireless network, doesn't sound all that secure. There would have to be some pretty strong encryption, or any hacker who broke it would have easy access to all your networks.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2012, 02:12 PM

Having access to wifi keys without knowing where on earth those networks are, wouldn't be all that useful. Plus, SSL has been keeping data safe for transfer for years now.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2012, 02:41 PM

Keychains are pretty secure as they are. This is an awesome idea, kudos!
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2012, 03:30 PM

Add this to the list of useful info to put in iCloud in addition to data checksums for a new Apple filesystem, and Spotlight indexes.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2012, 07:12 PM

We should store the internet on the internet, ya know, just in case.

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2012, 09:35 PM

Personally I think it'd be awesome if nearly everything aside from monitor settings in /Library was stored in iCloud.

Forum Links
Forum Rules