Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Strange credit card authorization...

Strange credit card authorization...
S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 01:11 PM

I have a strange temporary authorization from Apple in Cupertino on 2/2 for $16.14. I did upgrade QuickTime to pro on 2/6 (Side note: I am getting really sick of being forced to buy software I used to own.) That was also shown as a temporary auth. I asume that one will post and go normal. Also interesting, I got gas last night and used the card. My account shows a $1 temp auth. even though I spent well over that amount on gas. Could this be a sign? Does apple temporaryily authorize a small amount to make sure your credit card info is correct before they ship and charge the full amount? Similar to the gas station? I ordered on 1/11 and it seems odd that they would wait almost a month to try my card. I got this info from MBNA on-line. So my qustion is: Does anyone else have a temporary authorization and if so when and how much in relation to their order. I have a 17" on order by the way.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 8, 2003, 02:43 PM

It has been my experience that Apple charges $1 in the beginning, perhaps just to make sure the card number is valid. Later they will try an authorization for the full amount of the purchase.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
It has been my experience that Apple charges $1 in the beginning, perhaps just to make sure the card number is valid. Later they will try an authorization for the full amount of the purchase.
How much later do they try the full amount? When the order is ready to ship or before?
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 8, 2003, 05:40 PM

They make a temporary authorization pretty soon, but it isn't an actual charge until they ship. I've had a temporary authorization on my card for the full amount of my 12" powerbook for a couple of weeks.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2003, 11:35 PM

They make a temporary authorization pretty soon, but it isn't an actual charge until they ship. I've had a temporary authorization on my card for the full amount of my 12" powerbook for a couple of weeks.
The authorization for my 12" PB was for about 20 dollars over the price of the machine. Somehow, two additional authorizations for the same amount showed up the day after it shipped. My credit card company even called me about it and I had to have Apple call them to release the extra authorizations. While I was on the phone with the Apple rep, he said that it was customary for Apple to make the authorization for a little more than the eventual charge.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2003, 12:54 AM

Probably not a good idea to use a debit card (see Visa Checkcard, etc.) for this type of transaction.

TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules