Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Replacing the harddrive in iBook g4

Replacing the harddrive in iBook g4
shockme17
Apr 22, 2004, 01:08 PM

i mistakingly bought the lowest model iBook, because it was the only one that the local reseller had, the day they came out.. so with just a 30GB hard drive, i'm not too happy.

after a little research, im guessing that the only model hard drive that will fit will be the Fujitsu MHT2030AT which is what the ibook has already, but i found higher capacities in the same model.

i found an article displaying how to open up the ibook and get to the guts.. i just want to know if this is recommended, if anyone has done this before? and if the 80GB model will fit inside..

also i want to know if there are cheaper hard drives availible that will fit as well..

i eventually plan on replacing the optical drive with a superdrive, that mod looks pretty neat as well. .

anyways thanks.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by shockme17:
also i want to know if there are cheaper hard drives availible that will fit as well..
shockme17: Any 9.5mm high 2.5" HDD will fit in the iBooks, including the G4. But if you had to ask about that, I'm skeptical that it is a smart idea for you to open up your iBook. You can get good prices at ZipZoomFly (formerly GoogleGear). Just do a search for "Travelstar" to find a variety of IBM-Hitachi 2.5" notebook drives. The 5400rpm 60GB Travelstar at $151 looks like a great choice. IBM Hitachi is the brand I prefer, other brand (e.g. Fujitsu or Toshiba) 2.5" drives will work too.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

shockme17  (op)
Apr 22, 2004, 06:36 PM

yes im a bit of a novice. but i think it will be a neat little project for me. thanks for the link to that site..

now is there any heat/or battery problems if i go with a higher rpm?

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2004, 11:06 AM

yes im a bit of a novice. but i think it will be a neat little project for me. thanks for the link to that site..

now is there any heat/or battery problems if i go with a higher rpm?
I've heard mixed reports about battery life, but if there is a reduction, it should be minimal (10-20 minutes maybe). As for the "neat little project," it's obviously up to you. If you decide to go for it, make sure to have a large clean work surface and keep track of every single screw (e.g. people have taped them to paper and numbered them in order). Search the iBook forum for reports and a useful PDF with instructions that you can print for reference while your iBook is cracked open.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 27, 2004, 04:30 PM

Disassembling an iBook is not something the weekend gadgeteer should attempt. We're talking about 40+ screws, most of which are smaller than a peppercorn. The problem is keeping track of which screw goes in which hole, especially when there are 4 holes next to each other, not all of which are suppost to accept a screw at that stage of reassembly.

I highly advise you to not mess with the innards of an iBook: it is a task requiring advanced experience.

tooki

shockme17  (op)
Apr 27, 2004, 05:28 PM

thanks for the advice guys.. but even before i think about making the attempt myself, im searching for a cheap hard drive/superdrive.

are there any good sites that have used parts? ive checked on ebay to no avail. ive been hoping to find some damaged ibooks or powerbooks that i could possible demo taking it apart and or possibly ripping out the drives from one and putting them into the other..

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2004, 06:26 PM

tooki is right, those have around 30-40+ Screws to take out. Most of those are of different length/size, not all are need to be taken out, and even for a skilled tech it take about an hour and a half or so to install a HD in them. Aside from the difficulty this will also void one's warranty, I suggest taking it into a service center and have them work on it.

shockme17  (op)
Apr 27, 2004, 08:15 PM

i know i know, id just rather do it myself to avoid extra costs, and to install a superdrive, i doubt any service center would do that. eh we'll see how it goes..

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 08:33 PM

i know i know, id just rather do it myself to avoid extra costs, and to install a superdrive, i doubt any service center would do that. eh we'll see how it goes..
http://www.mcetech.com/dvdrwibkg4.html

It will cost some money though. I think you would be better off selling your iBook and putting the money toward another one. The cost of a hard drive and Superdrive would be the difference between your iBook and a new one.

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 05:34 AM

I wouldn't recomend opening her up - couldn't you live with an external firewaire hard drive.

If you are going to some work a cooker / oven top is a great place to work on computers because it is grounded. Static is a killer - if you don't work on the cooker at least do it in a room with no carpet - something like a hard wood floor.

As for the superdrive be careful what model you source if you wantto be able to boot from CD
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by ixus_123:
I wouldn't recomend opening her up - couldn't you live with an external firewaire hard drive.
<snip>
This is what I've been considering. I bought a spanking new 12" G4 iBook at the panther premere, and I love it. Just wish I had BTO'd it so I could get bluetooth and a bigger drive... but then wouldn't've gotten the 10% off the purchase. The stock 30 gig is fine for me until I dump and hour of DV on for editing... then things get strapped. Think I've only got 4gigs available on it right now. Sounds like a good excuse for an iPod, eh?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules