Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Shooting in a Monteal College

Shooting in a Monteal College (Page 2)
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2006, 10:11 AM

Get a load of this angsty douche bag. Here's a suggestion kids: If you ever think that maybe you should go gun down a bunch of innocent people and then off yourself, start with step two.

Thank god he went and bought himself the futuristic looking 'cool' weapon instead of a real rifle. Otherwise the body count could have been much higher. And nice haircut, Jackass.

Man do I hate these ****ing idiots*

*And just to clarify in case there are any goth types about, the ****ing idiots I'm referring to are the people that think it's ok to run out and gun down innocent people because your daddy didn't hug you enough or whatever this retards malfunction was. Don't want anyone to get their panties in a twist thinking I'm talking about a 'lifestyle'.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Sep 15, 2006, 11:14 AM

Even I can't judge his actions on his appearance.
Out of my uniform, I am by no means a slave to fashion.

He really puts lawful sane gunowners in a bad light.
As well as those who want to dress as "Goths".
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:17 AM

This just gives more 'ammunition' to the argument to ban all guns

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 11:21 AM

If it's not a gun, they'll use another weapon.
It's not the tool but the weilder of the tool.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain
If it's not a gun, they'll use another weapon.
It's not the tool but the weilder of the tool.
Ofcourse, but its much harder to go on a murderous rampage with a knife.

I'm of the opinion that a gun is a tool of war and violence, they have no place in a modern society.

finboy
Sep 15, 2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko
How's that? I thought gunning down innocents was already illegal. How would banning guns MORE have changed anything?

What, do they just give ANYONE a gun up there in The Great White North?

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 12:17 PM

Ofcourse, but its much harder to go on a murderous rampage with a knife.

I'm of the opinion that a gun is a tool of war and violence, they have no place in a modern society.
So is using ricin or anthrax. But people have used them also.
London has a problem with knifing now. Go figure.

I shoot competitively and have a hunting rifle.(yes I will harvest one or two deer a year)

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 15, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
As per one witness, he came inside the cafeteria, where a guy was sitting on the knees of his girlfriend. He told him to move away which he did, and the shooter shot 4 times at the girl.

I am not sure if he was bad shooter, but he certainely knew what he was looking for.

Besides, I think your comment is disgracious and inappropriate.

Ya it was harsh but true. For a guy obsessed with guns, violence and video games I am surprised how in-effective he was at causing fatalities (one of his nic names).

I mean there is nothing like being a total loser to begin with but then wanting to go out with a bang and pretty much failing at that also makes one even more pathetic.

"Hello, what have we here?

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 12:31 PM

I'm speculating that maybe his intentions were to injure and mame before taking his life.
Prehaps there was a sliver of remorse in his cold shrivled soul.

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2006, 12:33 PM

The idea of banning all guns is down right rediculous.

You might stop the American and Canadian companies from manufacturing them, but there is no way the Chinese, Russians, and most of Europe will stop.

The weapons will always be smuggled in and will always be used aginst the unarmed.

Case and point, I killed an armed illegal alien last year when he broke into our condo at the beach.

He had a stolen gun and no ID. However his fingerprints and DNA showed he had been responsible for several rapes in the complex. Good for me.
Shut up and eat your paisley.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2006, 12:47 PM

I think they need to ban trenchcoats. Especially during the Summer.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 15, 2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by placebo1969
I think they need to ban trenchcoats. Especially during the Summer.
Bad haircuts also.

"Hello, what have we here?

DBursey
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 12:59 PM

So is using ricin or anthrax. But people have used them also.
London has a problem with knifing now. Go figure.

I shoot competitively and have a hunting rifle.(yes I will harvest one or two deer a year)
'Harvest' a deer. Good use of euphemism! To do so is to imply having had a hand in the prior production of the item under harvest.

Your previously posted attempt to conflate the biomechanics of shooting with that of stabbing is terribly disingenuous, and totally ignores the fact that guns are designed to kill using minimal physical exertion from a safe, impersonal distance.
( Last edited by DBursey; Sep 15, 2006 at 01:08 PM. )

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by DBursey
'Harvest' a deer. Good use of euphemism! To do so is to imply having had a hand in the prior production of the item under harvest.

Your previously posted attempt to conflate the biomechanics of shooting with that of stabbing is terribly disingenuous, and totally ignores the fact that guns are designed to kill using minimal physical exertion from a safe, impartial, impersonal distance.
Harvest is the proper term. One can harvest anything that grows in the wild. Harvest is not synonomous to cultivate. (*insert witty remark here*)
Canada is the land of big game hunting.

And a bow and arrow is disigned to be used from a safe, impartial, impersonal distance.

And I've never killed anyone.

finboy
Sep 15, 2006, 01:52 PM

OFFTOPIC ALERT!

When humans come in and kill the apex predators and increase the natural food supplies of deer, we take a hand in the overpopulation facing many areas of the US.

If you've ever seen a starving Bambi in the wild, you'd realize that 'harvesting' deer is a really humane thing to do.
( Last edited by finboy; Sep 17, 2006 at 04:15 PM. )

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 02:00 PM

It was an attempt to chastise the term and the right to hunt.
Without expressing any knowlege about the subject.

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 02:29 PM

Harvest is the proper term. One can harvest anything that grows in the wild. Harvest is not synonomous to cultivate. (*insert witty remark here*)
They do "cultivate" in Texas. My brother-in-law went "hunting" a couple years ago on a private ranch with his company. It consisted of drinking beer in a concrete bunker, with hay set 50 yards out (you can guess the rest). He said it wasn't very fun at all, but he harvested 3 deer.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 02:37 PM

That's not hunting. Good grief.
Alcohol and firearms are a BIG no no.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2006, 02:51 PM

Your previously posted attempt to conflate the biomechanics of shooting with that of stabbing is terribly disingenuous, and totally ignores the fact that guns are designed to kill using minimal physical exertion from a safe, impersonal distance.
I'll give you minimal physical exertion and I won't argue the safe distance thing either. Make no mistake though, unless you are seriously damaged on a rather fundamental level, like this twisted jerk-off appears to have been, there is nothing impersonal about it. Your brain is going to work it over the same way whether you use a knife, a gun or a bomb. If you kill someone, the method doesn't make it any easier. A gun may make it more convenient, but certainly on easier.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Matius
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 03:37 PM

Heh, you wish. Our government doesn’t murder its citizens.
If the dude hadn't offed himself they should do it for him. Hell, I'd do it for the government so they can save the tax dollars.
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

DBursey
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
I'll give you minimal physical exertion and I won't argue the safe distance thing either. Make no mistake though, unless you are seriously damaged on a rather fundamental level, like this twisted jerk-off appears to have been, there is nothing impersonal about it. Your brain is going to work it over the same way whether you use a knife, a gun or a bomb. If you kill someone, the method doesn't make it any easier. A gun may make it more convenient, but certainly on easier.
I won't argue the point you make on the psychological makeup of someone who sets out to kill. I'm with you there! I'm talking about the level of physical confrontation involved in attempting to kill another person with a knife vs a semiautomatic weapon. All things being equal, the knife doesn't come close - and I don't think any thinking person will argue the point in those terms.

Sky Capt, I'll concede the point in the term 'harvest'. I once designed SONAR systems for a company operated ostensibly to 'harvest' the ocean. In time the term 'plunder' became more accepted.

Back on topic. Condolences to the victims and their families.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 08:01 PM

Was he just shooting young women?
No. Almost half of the victim were men. Victims were aged between 17 and 48 years of age.

One of the victims had up to 9 bullets in her body...

There was clearly a very strong determination to hurt and kill. This was not done in "cold blood", but with a passion.

His affection for "Scarface" says a lot. He made probably a good rendition of the scene he was trying to relieve in his mad romantic fantasy of death and dying from the finale scene.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 10:14 PM

Must be the time of year.

"Death-obsessed teens planned school attack."

CNN.com - Police: Death-obsessed teens planned school attack - Sep 15, 2006

GREEN BAY, Wisconsin (AP) -- Two 17-year-olds suspected of plotting a shooting spree at their high school were obsessed with the mass killings at Columbine High School and had homemade bombs and weapons at their homes, investigators said Friday.

Fekk Islamists!!! Meet the new terrorists.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 15, 2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by D. S. Troyer
Fekk Islamists!!! Meet the new terrorists.
Something about your posting style seems familiar... hmmm..

You're right though. They are terrorists in the most basic sense of the word.

And luckily, the authorities caught them. Too bad that couldn't have happened in Montreal.
( Last edited by Railroader; Sep 15, 2006 at 10:58 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Larr
Case and point, I killed an armed illegal alien last year when he broke into our condo at the beach.

He had a stolen gun and no ID. However his fingerprints and DNA showed he had been responsible for several rapes in the complex. Good for me.
Damn. That's some cold ****.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Pendergast  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Something about your posting style seems familiar... hmmm..

You're right though. They are terrorists in the most basic sense of the word.

And luckily, the authorities caught them. Too bad that couldn't have happened in Montreal.
How so?

Railroader
Banned
Sep 15, 2006, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
How so?
Well, if the authorities in Montreal would have caught them before this incident occurred then no one would have died. I thought that was obvious.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 03:00 AM

Well, if the authorities in Montreal would have caught them before this incident occurred then no one would have died. I thought that was obvious.
Their psychic was at a Vegas convention.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 16, 2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by D. S. Troyer
Their psychic was at a Vegas convention.
I didn't know Vegas hindered psychic abilities. Wouldn't that make it a horrible place for a psychic convention?

Matius
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 04:04 PM

Guns Rock! Anyway, ban all guns and the criminals will still kill people with them. The only difference will be the law abiding citizens won't have any way to defend themselves, and I, along with tens of thousands of others will become criminals because we won't give up our guns.

ETA: I almost forgot, you can thank guns for the very ability you have to live freely as well.
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2006, 06:19 PM

I didn't know Vegas hindered psychic abilities. Wouldn't that make it a horrible place for a psychic convention?
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 17, 2006, 06:39 PM

Hey, lets ban murder first. That way no one will murder anyone.

Oh wait....

DBursey
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 05:12 PM

I almost forgot, you can thank guns for the very ability you have to live freely as well
'You' whom? Montrealers? IMHO thanks is due more to their civility, their status as Canadian citizens and their excellent police force. Excepting as tools of the aforementioned, guns have virtually nothing to do with Montrealer's living free.

Hey, lets ban murder first. That way no one will murder anyone.
The antithesis being that someone is bound to break a law; therefore its implementation is futile.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Eug
Yeah, heard that on the radio. CNN has some pix too.

P.S. Why is it in the Politics forum? Gun control discussion?
Prob because its something about Canada and you know how them Canadian threads turn into bashing parties.

Forum Links
Forum Rules