Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > "Immigration" Bill Killed

"Immigration" Bill Killed
Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 01:12 PM

Yay!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2007, 01:14 PM

Thank frakking goodness. 14 votes short of the required 60, so this bill is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Now if we can just stop people from hiring illegals...

Senate Blocks Immigration Bill
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 01:29 PM

There are a numebr of things I find interesting on this issue:

- It put Bush on the same side as Ted Kennedy, and against the more conservative elements in the Republican party.

- The vote was not along party lines. Just about 1/3 of the Senators of each party voted the other direction from what the majority in their party was pushing.

- Apparently, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff had nothing better to do than literally hang out in the Senate lobby and stump for votes. And I'm sure Bush thought he was doing a heckuva job....

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
There are a numebr of things I find interesting on this issue:

- It put Bush on the same side as Ted Kennedy, and against the more conservative elements in the Republican party.

- The vote was not along party lines. Just about 1/3 of the Senators of each party voted the other direction from what the majority in their party was pushing.

- Apparently, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff had nothing better to do than literally hang out in the Senate lobby and stump for votes. And I'm sure Bush thought he was doing a heckuva job....
Almost makes the proposal worthwhile, doesn't it?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Almost makes the proposal worthwhile, doesn't it?
I actually thought it had merit. Perhaps it was not the best solution, but it would have been better than doing nothing. Which is what everyone essentially voted to do.

Dakarʒ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
One nameless Senator attributed that to hatin' racists.
Senator Peeb?

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 01:45 PM

Yay, seconded.

Someone was saying this morning that they've never seen the Senate switchboards so jammed from people calling in their opposition to the bill. One nameless Senator attributed that to hatin' racists. I guess if you're opposed to illegal immigration and you don't take the medicine that Uncle Harry (Reid) insists is best for you, you're a racist.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Senator Peeb?
How'd you know what I was... heh heh

I think I might as well go back to my old habit of reading threads from the bottom up.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2007, 03:10 AM

Good riddance… for now at least.

I can’t believe even the most diehard amnesty fan can’t open their nostrils wide enough for two seconds to sniff the pungent stench wafting off the massive exercise in corruption that is the amnesty bill.

You gotta believe some serious favors from powerful, deeeeeep pocket special interests demanding their cheap labor force are being called in when you find such strange bedfellows as GWB, Ted Kennedy, Arlen Specter, Harry Reid, John McCain, Hillary Clinton, etc. all stumping shamelessly for the same thing.

You gotta suspect some SERIOUS cash is at play when you find the likes of Trent Lott whining that conservative talk radio is raining on his parade! (Talk about a WTF? moment!)

The special interests were calling in their favors owed, and the corrupt puppets were all stuck between doing as their bosses demanded, or *gasp!* listening to record numbers of “those lowly peasants”, IE, American citizens, telling them to shove their crappy bill where the sun doesn’t shine.

The icing on the cake was listening to some of these flipping morons whine about the problem being “talk radio” or *gasp* too many peasants calling and emailing them! HAHAHA! That cracks me up! Politicians and political hacks whining that it’s bad for democracy when the people actually find a way to have a say in what their elected bozos do, and don’t just allow themselves to be railroaded every single time. And heaven forbid someone *gasp!* TALKS on the radio and say things the elected bozos don’t like.

It’d be funny, if it wasn’t so perfectly illustrative of just how far into the realm of “completely out of touch” most of our politicians have strayed.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2007, 09:10 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules